Crisis at Gallaudet University

It's not over. However, the 6th street gate is open, according to a DPS email I got this morning.

Dozens of Protesters Arrested On Gallaudet President's Order

Dozens of Protesters Arrested On Gallaudet President's Order

Saturday, October 14, 2006; 12:40 PM

Campus police arrested dozens of student demonstrators at Gallaudet University last night to reopen the famed college for the deaf after a three-day shutdown staged in a long-simmering protest over the appointment of a new president.

The arrests began shortly before 9 p.m., when police began carrying away students from a jeering throng that had been blocking the school's Sixth Street NE entrance. Students hollered and signed, "This is our school!" By early this morning, police said, about 80 had been arrested. Witnesses said many students were still awaiting arrest.

Teams of officers, acting on orders from President I. King Jordan and aided by interpreters in orange vests, picked up individual students, who went limp, and carried them to a D.C. police van.

The students were to be taken from the school, at 800 Florida Ave. NE, to a police training facility in Southwest Washington for processing, officials said.

Next week is homecoming, and by early this morning students had put a new banner up on the front gates, with the slogan "Take back Gallaudet."

The arrests brought to a head a bitter dispute that began in May between the administration and students angry about the appointment of then-provost Jane K. Fernandes as the university's next president. She is scheduled to replace Jordan, who is to step down in December.

Protesters expressed dislike for Fernandes, saying she was remote and divisive. They argued that other candidates, especially minorities, had been overlooked. And they called for her to step aside.

She has refused, saying she is the target of student extremists. And earlier yesterday, speaking to the protesters for the first time this week, she said: "This has gone on long enough."

About 7 p.m., Jordan announced to demonstrators at the school's main gate on Florida Avenue that they faced arrest if they did not disperse. "I deeply regret being forced to take this action," he said. "But the protesters have left me no choice."

Two hours later, after three warnings from campus Police Chief Melodye Batten-Mickens, arrests began at the Sixth Street entrance.

At the main gate, other students got word of the police action via text message. Some cried and embraced. Graduate student Ryan Commerson signed information to fellow students, telling them that demonstrators were being put in vans one by one.

"Dr. Jordan has gone and arrested his own students," Commerson said. "This means his legacy is gone."

Dozens of Protesters Arrested On Gallaudet President's Order - washingtonpost.com

Why do the Deaf people feel that hearing people treat them like second class citizen?

Why do the Deaf people feel that hearing people treat them like second class citizen?

You work at the office for twenty-five years. Your supervisor order brand new computers for your 12 colleagues. You got second hand computer for your desk. How would you feel that your colleagues got brand new computers. Why can't you get one ? Would you feel that your supervisor treat you as second class citizen ?? :bowdown:

I am so tired of the hearing people control over the deaf people as they treat us as second class citizten. I grew up at deaf school to training me oral at the speech therpist for hours. The old speech therapist teacher was abusive to me when I was about six years old at Deaf School because I was not speaking very well. She put a soap bar in my mouth and banged my head against the wall. She also put a lollipop in my mouth pushing it against my tonuge asking me to say a. The sweet from lollipop made me drool and dripped all over my pretty dress. A deaf boy in my class was not talking very well. The teacher pulled his pants down and spanked with the pointer stick against his butt in front of my whole class. the teachers raised their voices and other things that do not help at all getting a little better of it. My hearing aids did not help me to hear the worlds. The teachers never seemed satified herself. She blew the feather over and over to get the deaf children breathing right for f and p sounds.

I have two deaf colleguages at my work. The grew up oralism communication, we always misunderstood each other cause us angry and frustrate each other. They realize that they should have learn ASL since they were younger. That is why, I never believe in speech therpaist. They are extremely abusive me and other deaf children at my school. That is why I HAVE NO PATIENT WITH ORAL COMMUNICATION. I never never want to learn other people's lipreading. I do not want to misunderstand them in important meeting or doctor appointment. I would NEVER sign anything without an interpreter !!

I am so tired of oralism deaf people have tendency misunderstand in my fluency ASL !!

The old speech therapist teacher was abusive to me when I was about six years old at Deaf School because I was not speaking very well. She put a soap bar in my mouth and banged my head against the wall. She also put a lollipop in my mouth pushing it against my tonuge asking me to say a. The sweet from lollipop made me drool and dripped all over my pretty dress. A deaf boy in my class was not talking very well. The teacher pulled his pants down and spanked with the pointer stick against his butt in front of my whole class. the teachers raised their voices and other things that do not help at all getting a little better of it. My hearing aids did not help me to hear the worlds. The teachers never seemed satified herself. She blew the feather over and over to get the deaf children breathing right for f and p sounds.

That's horrible!! Did your mom and dad ever find out about all this? You can't tell me that was the norm back then.

I have two deaf colleguages at my work. The grew up oralism communication, we always misunderstood each other cause us angry and frustrate each other. They realize that they should have learn ASL since they were younger. That is why, I never believe in speech therpaist. They are extremely abusive me and other deaf children at my school. That is why I HAVE NO PATIENT WITH ORAL COMMUNICATION. I never never want to learn other people's lipreading. I do not want to misunderstand them in important meeting or doctor appointment. I would NEVER sign anything without an interpreter !!

I am so tired of oralism deaf people have tendency misunderstand in my fluency ASL !!

Yes, we oral deaf, at the age of 1 year old told our parents that we prefer to learn to lipread and use our "deaf" voice over ASL. Yes, we told our parents we prefer to grow up being mainstreamed and struggle to read the teacher's lips and to follow our hearing friends' conversations. Yes, we asked to be isolated and be "hearing". Yea, we have such a big regret for not learning ASL since birth..shame on us for being born to hearing parents who felt that learning how to speak and lipread instead of learning ASL was the best for us. U are so right, Kalista, we make our lives harder. Oh well...that's life

You work at the office for twenty-five years. Your supervisor order brand new computers for your 12 colleagues. You got second hand computer for your desk. How would you feel that your colleagues got brand new computers. Why can't you get one ? Would you feel that your supervisor treat you as second class citizen ?? :bowdown:

I am so tired of the hearing people control over the deaf people as they treat us as second class citizten. I grew up at deaf school to training me oral at the speech therpist for hours. The old speech therapist teacher was abusive to me when I was about six years old at Deaf School because I was not speaking very well. She put a soap bar in my mouth and banged my head against the wall. She also put a lollipop in my mouth pushing it against my tonuge asking me to say a. The sweet from lollipop made me drool and dripped all over my pretty dress. A deaf boy in my class was not talking very well. The teacher pulled his pants down and spanked with the pointer stick against his butt in front of my whole class. the teachers raised their voices and other things that do not help at all getting a little better of it. My hearing aids did not help me to hear the worlds. The teachers never seemed satified herself. She blew the feather over and over to get the deaf children breathing right for f and p sounds.

Are you follow 100% deaf culture? Just wonders...

You seems true deaf member and fully know about deaf culture, support for Jane to resign, against CI and support the deaf communities.

How did this thread turn into an anti-oral deaf thread? I thought it was about the protests at Gallaudet?

How did this thread turn into an anti-oral deaf thread? I thought it was about the protests at Gallaudet?

It is regarding to Jane anology to my experience struggle with communication barrier during my childhood.

Gallaudet Reopens Amid Continued Protests

By Susan Kinzie and Mary Otto
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, October 15, 2006; Page C01

Gallaudet University reopened yesterday, the morning after 133 protesters were arrested to break up a three-day shutdown of the nationally renowned school for the deaf over the choice of Jane K. Fernandes to be president.

Although the arrests resolved the immediate crisis, the university remains as deeply fractured as it ever has been, and no one sees the reopening as an end to the bitter confrontation with the school's leadership.
Last night, about 1,000 protesters stood shoulder to shoulder from the front gates of the school in Northeast Washington up a hill to Chapel Hall. Fernandes remains the target of their wrath. But the current president, I. King Jordan, who has been hailed as a heroic symbol of deaf accomplishment, is now viewed by many as a traitor for ordering the arrests by campus police.

"We can't believe King had us arrested," said sophomore Calvin Doudt, standing in the autumn sunshine yesterday amid a group of protesters. "We are his students."

The protesters are encouraging Gallaudet students not to return to classes tomorrow, when they are scheduled to resume.

"We will not quit until our demands are met, period," said Andrew Lange, head of the alumni association.

As supporters brought boxes of ramen noodles and Pop-Tarts for protesters camped out by the gates, faculty leaders sent a letter to the board of trustees demanding trustees come to campus immediately.

"This has escalated beyond the administration's control," professor Khadijat Rashid said.

The resentment toward Fernandes has been building for a long time. Some former employees at the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center on Gallaudet's campus are still upset about her leadership there a decade ago, saying she created an atmosphere of distrust. Some professors are still unhappy they were not consulted about her appointment as provost six years ago.

And some black students and staff members were upset by the presidential search process, which eliminated a strong African American candidate in favor of three white people.

When Fernandes was named in May, the protests started immediately. Since then, many have complained that the board of trustees has continued to ignore their concerns.

Fernandes's supporters, including Jordan, say she has proved her abilities to lead the campus, to make it a place welcoming to all types of deafness.

Gallaudet Reopens Amid Continued Protests - washingtonpost.com

Click this link, it will explain more about reopen Gally on Monday.

Kalista, Did you answered my question? Look at #68.

Gally's gone oral that's for sure. They'll keep the ASL there for a while. Up to Jane how long.

Richard

Are you follow 100% deaf culture? Just wonders...

You seems true deaf member and fully know about deaf culture, support for Jane to resign, against CI and support the deaf communities.

Yes that is correct ! I am extremely angry with medical society for destroy our next generation Deaf children due to CI and more mainstream schools.

Jane grew up in hearing world. We prefer to select a Deaf person who grow up in Deaf school, family and culture. Our next Deaf generation look up at Gallaudent President who is profoundly Deaf. Show them that they can do successful with their career without using CI or reliable mainstream schools. Show the hearing world that we can do !

Medical term to made the terms "deafness and hearing impaired". They look down at us because we are disability. Deaf meant, we cant hear or speak - we can do anything else. We just need an interpreter to communication with hearing people.

High percent hearing people are afraid to approach Deaf people because of our speak voice is properly sounds.

Can you tell me why I grew up forceful to learn how to speak with abusive? My speech is still stinking... It is waste alot of my f*king time !!

I should learn ASL as my first language instead of oral.

Yes that is correct ! I am extremely angry with medical society for destroy our next generation Deaf children due to CI and more mainstream schools.

Jane grew up in hearing world. We prefer to select a Deaf person who grow up in Deaf school, family and culture. Our next Deaf generation look up at Gallaudent President who is profoundly Deaf. Show them that they can do successful with their career without using CI or reliable mainstream schools. Show the hearing world that we can do !

Medical term to made the terms "deafness and hearing impaired". They look down at us because we are disability. Deaf meant, we cant hear or speak - we can do anything else. We just need an interpreter to communication with hearing people.

High percent hearing people are afraid to approach Deaf people because of our speak voice is properly sounds.

Can you tell me why I grew up forceful to learn how to speak with abusive? My speech is still stinking... It is waste alot of my f*king time !!

I should learn ASL as my first language instead of oral.

That's right... In early 90's, the school forced me to wear FM system and teacher is very aggressive at deaf students, and force them to use voice when start sign language. They are pinched my skin when not attention to her speech, and she have ugly teeth with most of silver covered the cavitities. I don't like speech teacher that forced me to use oral language since FM system isn't help me, that pissed me off and refuse to do job then she called my parent and wrote the note to parent for not attention to her. Until 4th grade, my speech teacher told my parent about CI and she said CI would help me to become hearing then my parent is start brainwash and forced me to got CI. I just like WTF at them and begged them for not get CI, and don't believe what speech teacher said.

Before CI surgery, I used attacked with 3 nurses and not want get CI surgery, and messed up their system. I'm so nervous about got CI and start jump off from hospital bed then few nurses took me up on bed again and one nurse gave me a one vaccine to make me so sleepy and bad headache. After surgery is done, I just start attack with nurses again and tell them to get CI off from my head then almost pull IV out from my hand and nurse is start hold my body until calm down. I just feel so sick and my parent are mad at me about not behavior at hospital and slapped my face, then nurse asked them to leaving after slapped my face, that's unacceptable to do it. After few weeks after surgery is done then sent me to speech therapy with one woman, and her mouth is smell so horrible then start patient to practice with her and told her that mouth is so horrible then she got upset and took few pieces of mint, then that won't work. I had been in speech therapy for 1 years and it doesn't help then my parent decided to stop to send me to speech therapy because its expensive. Now, CI is unsuccessful then I stopped to wear when I was started 9th grade at high school.

That's right... In early 90's, the school forced me to wear FM system and teacher is very aggressive at deaf students, and force them to use voice when start sign language. They are pinched my skin when not attention to her speech, and she have ugly teeth with most of silver covered the cavitities. I don't like speech teacher that forced me to use oral language since FM system isn't help me, that pissed me off and refuse to do job then she called my parent and wrote the note to parent for not attention to her. Until 4th grade, my speech teacher told my parent about CI and she said CI would help me to become hearing then my parent is start brainwash and forced me to got CI. I just like WTF at them and begged them for not get CI, and don't believe what speech teacher said.

Before CI surgery, I used attacked with 3 nurses and not want get CI surgery, and messed up their system. I'm so nervous about got CI and start jump off from hospital bed then few nurses took me up on bed again and one nurse gave me a one vaccine to make me so sleepy and bad headache. After surgery is done, I just start attack with nurses again and tell them to get CI off from my head then almost pull IV out from my hand and nurse is start hold my body until calm down. I just feel so sick and my parent are mad at me about not behavior at hospital and slapped my face, then nurse asked them to leaving after slapped my face, that's unacceptable to do it. After few weeks after surgery is done then sent me to speech therapy with one woman, and her mouth is smell so horrible then start patient to practice with her and told her that mouth is so horrible then she got upset and took few pieces of mint, then that won't work. I had been in speech therapy for 1 years and it doesn't help then my parent decided to stop to send me to speech therapy because its expensive. Now, CI is unsuccessful then I stopped to wear when I was started 9th grade at high school.

Wow ... hope your parents read this.

It is regarding to Jane anology to my experience struggle with communication barrier during my childhood.

So because you had abusive therapists as a young student it's Jane's fault because she actually was able to learn from hers? Amazing logic.

QUOTE]

I grew up in the hearing world not by choice so basically you are saying I am not qualified to run for president at Gallaudet just because I wasnt lucky enough to grow up knowing about the deaf culture, with deaf family or in a deaf school? Nobody showed nor taught me anything about deaf culture so of course I was clueless. Suppose I want to run for president for Gallaudet...I wont have any luck cuz my parents chose to put me in a hearing world? I am fluent in ASL thanks to my years as a grad student at Gally, I teach at a deaf school, and feel that I am culturally deaf now.

In my opinion, by choosing a president solely because he/she grew up in a deaf school, with deaf friends, and to a deaf family is wrong because that is just pure discrimination against a majority of the deaf population. Many of us wern born to hearing families who chose how we should grow up. We shouldnt be "punished" for that. I disagree with you on that one.

So because you had abusive therapists as a young student it's Jane's fault because she actually was able to learn from hers? Amazing logic.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! I had speech teachers that were very critical of my speech even though it is not too bad but they expected it to be like hearing people's. Yes, that hurted my self-esteem but I dont put the blame on Jane or anyone else. I just look at Jane's quality of leadership, emphathy and her ability to run a college as opposed to how she was raised. I think that is SUCH a stupid reason for wanting her to resign. If she is unable have strong leadership, don't have emphathy for the FSSA, and doesnt have other qualifications needed to run an university then of course, I wouldnt want her to run for Gallaudet. The issue of her being "deaf enough" is so ridiculous that it makes me laugh cuz if that is true then it will apply to me and many other deaf people too. :rifle:

Back