Crisis at Gallaudet University

I really wish this melodrama was over but I don't think it is over yet even though the Gallaudet students returned to class on Monday I think 133 students were arrested and rounded up, given a $50. fine at the jail center itself then the jail guards told the students to pay the $50. fine and go get lost, beat it there's the door, man !!!! or go to jail if they refuse to pay the $50. fine.

Maybe you need to check out how much interaction other univercity presidents have with students. I think you'll find out that they really don't spend much time with the students or even the staff.

Yeah it is evident that Jane wasn't raised to have to wait to see what everyone else wants. What a leader does is make decisions, not wait to see which way the wind blows. So exactly what decisions has she made that you disagree with that have to do with your academic future. After all you are there to learn not party. The partying is just a secondary thing. Has she cracked down on passing failing students? Increased expectations of literacy? what?

I really wish this melodrama was over but I don't think it is over yet even though the Gallaudet students returned to class on Monday I think 133 students were arrested and rounded up, given a $50. fine at the jail center itself then the jail guards told the students to pay the $50. fine and go get lost, beat it there's the door, man !!!! or go to jail if they refuse to pay the $50. fine.
Heath, its 135 had been arrested and alot of them were on bail but will go back on protest again.

President King wanted the police to have them bail for 250 dollars but police decided reduced to 50 bucks.

Maybe you need to check out how much interaction other univercity presidents have with students. I think you'll find out that they really don't spend much time with the students or even the staff.

Are you implying that that is a good thing?

Just why does Gallaudet have to do it the same way other places do it?

Yeah it is evident that Jane wasn't raised to have to wait to see what everyone else wants. What a leader does is make decisions, not wait to see which way the wind blows. So exactly what decisions has she made that you disagree with that have to do with your academic future. After all you are there to learn not party. The partying is just a secondary thing. Has she cracked down on passing failing students? Increased expectations of literacy? what?

Everything you want to know has been eloquently explained in the various blogs. (gallaudet protests has links to most of them). The tone of your questions suggests that you don't really care to know. I don't see why anyone should care to explain to you. If I'm wrong and you really want to know, then check out the blogs.

Now we established a blogsite for the New England FSSAls blodgsite

Http://newenglandfssa.blogspot.com

We will have a New England Gally Protesters from States - Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

We will gather to discuss to set up the tent city somewhere.

Anyone of you - here members of AllDeaf, please come and support FSSA.

Thanks!

It's gonna be a losing battle. Only giving Gally a black eye. DPN is dead and gone, the world is not siding with the students this time around. Go back to class...

Top 10 Reasons Dr. Jane K. Ferandes Should Resign

Top 10 Reasons Dr. Jane K. Ferandes

1. Ineffectives leadership

2. Even thought good experience on paperwork, no people skills or leadership

3. Poor track record and no credibility as a leader

4. Dr. Ferandes is incompetent. She can't run Gallaudet. She can't listen. I never once heard her admit, she is wrong.

5. Her administration will be crippled.

6. She could not prevent this situation from exacerbating.

7. The same person who fractured the university can't be the one to heal it.

8. She has no people skills and is cold.

9. Jane was pushed thru by Dr. King Jordan to provost and was the beneficiary of King's influence on Bo T.

10. Stop the damage.

Over the past day or two, people have also been saying that the protest is past the point of no return --either after the HMB incidents or after the arrests. Simply because of that, they feel, Jane Ferandes should step down from Gallaudet University.

It's gonna be a losing battle. Only giving Gally a black eye. DPN is dead and gone, the world is not siding with the students this time around. Go back to class...

If the world isn't siding with the students, why are there rallies and tent cities showing up world wide?

That is a dumb thing to say...

Even Bush wouldn't say something like that....

How would you feel if Bush said, "I am not with the American people"?

Jane said she is not with the Deaf Community... that was dumb.

And then what in the hell, she wants deaf people to come together
and then she wants to go back and do fencing...
That isn't a good speech...

Unity for Gallaudet

1. Oppression
Students at Gallaudet feel oppressed. People of color feel oppressed.
People with cochlear implants feel oppressed. People who aren't
fluent in ASL feel oppressed. People who aren't fluent in English
feel oppressed. Faculty feels oppressed. Staff feels oppressed.
Everyone feels oppressed and scared here at Gallaudet. This is not
healthy for any one who comes on campus, especially on a campus that
brags to be the ONLY liberal arts university for the deaf. Which
leads me to the next point....

2. Lack of Shared Governance
The Board of Trustees has a long history of not listening to the
community. DPN happened because of this: the BOT did not listen to
the consensus of the community and chose a hearing president. This
protest happened because the BOT did not listen to the consensus of
the community; both the Deaf community and the Deaf People of Color
community. We were forced to open our eyes to every kind of prejudice
that occurs here at Gallaudet, and that led to the forming of FSSA.
It is absolutely necessary to share governance of Gallaudet with each
group of stakeholders: faculty, staff, students, alumni, with the
addition of the deaf community at large. Gallaudet is an unique
place, and it should be treated as such. Otherwise, why does the
public relations department at Gallaudet even bother to send out
pamphlets reinforcing this idea.

3. Jane K. Fernandes is not an effective leader.
She has not raised educational standards at Gallaudet in her six
years as provost. She has almost no support from those at Clerc
Center where she was dean before she became provost. The faculty that
served under her gave a 66 percent vote of no confidence in her
abilities as a president of Gallaudet University. That same faculty,
at a recent town hall meeting, raised concerns of being depressed
because of their employment at Gallaudet. They also raised concerns
that many faculty were counting down the days to their retirement
because they are not happy here at Gallaudet... a so-called "mecca"
of Deaf people? Of ASL? The staff here are terrified of expressing
their opinions because they may be fired. Has Jane Fernandes opened
the way for open communication and understanding here at Gallaudet?
The answer is an obvious NO. She has done nothing to unify the
community after the protests in May. She has not contacted SBG once
since the beginning of the school year- this says a lot, I believe.
How can this woman lead Gallaudet if she is clueless about the
concerns and issues of the community?

Why is Dr. Fernandes so vilified at Gallaudet? In my last blog regarding the Gallaudet University lockdown, I wrote that she is devoid of leadership and people skills. I'd like to expand a little bit on that.

Dr. Fernandes have degrees in French and comparative literature - hardly the type of fields that are necessary for a leadership role. She was trained to instruct students in these areas, and as far as I can see, she lacks the knowledge, skills, and personal charm necessitated for such a momentous role in anyone's lifetime. I have witnessed her attempts to control the students' personal civil liberties when I was attending Gallaudet as an undergraduate during her tenure as a provost. The worst example of her poor leadership skills and mishandling on her part came during the year of the Gallaudet murders. Although I have no evidence to back up on it, I have suspicions that Dr. Fernandes was the one who was responsible for telling Carl Pramuk, then the director of student life, to impose and enforce the sign-in/sign-out policy. For those who are not familiar with such a policy, it's when every student are required to sign in and out of their respective dorms at the specific times when they are going somewhere on or off campus. That policy is very high school-ish. Because of that mandate, all students were forced to hand over their freedom and rights in order to bend to her will for a safe campus.

Also, she had mishandled the first murder case (Eric Plunkett). The original suspect, Thomas Minch, was expelled instantly within minutes of his being named as a suspect. The explusion came without warning or prior notification - and without the proper kind of judgement. Look at the Duke University lacrosse team rape case. How many suspects have been expelled from Duke without any warning? None. They are still continuing to attend classes while they are under investigation. Did Dr. Fernandes give Minch that kind of respectful treatment? No. She didn't. That decision to expel Minch is a violation of his civil rights, and Minch has rightfully sued Gallaudet for such violation.

Now look at the FSSA protests. Dr. Fernandes and Dr. Jordan are STILL violating the protesters' civil rights. The protesters are trying to put on a peaceful protest - they understand the difference between a non-violent protest and a violent protest - but the administration ignores this fact and have gone on the defensive against the FSSA protesters, even as far as calling the protests "an act of provocation." This is an example of their paternalistic approach to the students' civil rights. I am sad to say that Dr. Jordan, while an icon of the DPN movement, is no longer a role model in my eyes. His actions in the past few months and days have been disgraceful and not becoming of a leader who takes his responsiblities seriously. Today, I announce that I no longer recognize Dr. Jordan as a role model nor a leader, and furthermore, he is not the right person to lead Gallaudet in the transitionary months between his waning days of administration and the incoming president's succession.

I demand that the administrative cronies stop finger-pointing at the students, and open their ears and start listening to the students' issues. The relationship between the Gallaudet administration and the students have been contentious at best. Now it's on the fraying wire. And I want the Board of Trustees to stop Dr. Fernandes from taking office and reopen the presidential search process. Dr. Fernandes is a major threat to Gallaudet's future prosperity. With her dismal leadership skills, she is the wrong person to lead Gallaudet into the 21st century.

Go Bisons! Fight audism, oppression, and favoritism - you don't deserve any of these.

Back