Best Buy supports muslim holiday but NOT Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Wait! We have changed the thread to "unrelated metaphors", haven't we?

this is america, we should be open and accepting of different cultures.. it's sad to see some people out there who are STILL close-minded.

It's about individual consumer choices. They still have that right to decide where to shop. Not you.

I bet that the CEOs are real worried about loosing your business, too.

hey, hubby's co-worker wanted to stop shopping at books-a-million because they don't support gay rights.

it's the consumer choice where to shop.

I happen to agree with Jillio, sally, WriteAlex, Shel, anakin......I say, go, Best Buy! I am glad the Muslim holiday is recognized:)
<note- since Jewish is culture as well as other....>
We observed Hanukkah when I was growing up....my parents remember the restrictive covenants in suburbs surrounding us, and then I remember one day when I was about 8 and my dad and I were retuning from some outing around this time of year and we went past a church in a suburban area and the ad out front said something like, "wishing our Jewish neighbors "Happy Hanukkah" and my dad was happily shocked at the difference-

hey, hubby's co-worker wanted to stop shopping at books-a-million because they don't support gay rights.

Absolutely, it is the consumer's choice. So why the big deal? No one is trying to take anyone's choice away. Shop there or don't. No biggie.

Books-a-million? Never heard of it. I know Borders provide equality for gays.

Books-a-million? Never heard of it. I know Borders provide equality for gays.

I don't know why he felt that way, as I haven't seen anything about that. Maybe he meant fundraising and that they didn't put any charity in it. Whatever the reason, he was glad Barnes and Noble was built so he doesn't have to shop there.

Would you disagree that the majority of people now and throughout the history of this nation are Christians?

First of all, that's a red herring. Has nothing to do with the founding principles of our nation. But I'll answer your question anyway:

It depends on your definition of the word "Christian." If you mean someone who goes to church regularly, believes Jesus Christ died for their sins, and accepts and follows all the teachings and dogma of the Christian religion to the best of their ability, I would say NO.

If you mean someone who is simply expected to be Christian because of their upbringing, and because they have nothing else to believe in, but really do not go to church or follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, except when it is convenient to do so (and claim to be doing so), then I'd say MAYBE.

The fact of the matter is, religion has no place in politics or the identity of this nation. It is its own institution with its own identity and politics.

non-believers have always existed and in pretty high number. Some do not want to go to church and have anything to do with God so that's no new news to me. They always preferred Partying, sex, etc. over churches. That's what gospel or soul-winning is for and why Amazing Grace is pretty popular in churches (was lost but now found). Just saying.

Souggy, are correct. However, there is a strong Puritan influence in some groups of American society, especially with respect to sex,alcohol use and tolerance for other religions. This is especially true in the North East (early New England), although the traveling preachers brought these ideas down South.

Ben Franklin, in particular, disliked the Puritans. The Franklins had run ins with Boston's Puritan leadership over critical articles published in his brother's newspaper (including making fun of the clergy). James Franklin was jailed and Ben kept the newspaper going. After James was released, he harassed and beat Ben, who ran away to Quaker Philadelphia. During that time, colonists were not supposed to move to another colony with out permission, and running away was illegal. Philadelphia was the beneficiary of Ben's talent, including his newspaper, almanac, private circulating library, fire prevention, inventions and political skill.

Sorry, I can't make church. I'm busy with my lesbian Wiccan coven. I'm only a couple of recruits from a new toaster. :P

non-believers have always existed and in pretty high number. Some do not want to go to church and have anything to do with God so that's no new news to me. They always preferred Partying, sex, etc. over churches. That's what gospel or soul-winning is for and why Amazing Grace is pretty popular in churches (was lost but now found). Just saying.

um.. LOL, religious people still do party and have sex..

maybe we don't want to go to church/temple/mosques/etc. or have anything to do with god(s) because we don't believe in any of it? it's not that hard to grasp.

Sorry, I can't make church. I'm busy with my lesbian Wiccan coven. I'm only a couple of recruits from a new toaster. :P

you can put my name down for that lesbian wiccan coven, i'd be glad to support you in your goal of acquiring a new toaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back