Searching

Reaction score
It's my first day on and I already cannot wait to meet people that are just like me, and that understand me. This should be way more popular than it is and really should have a mobile application that could be downloaded.

I'm really wishing that I would've located this community the second my hearing started to disappear. I'm now not comfortable around people, not wanting to talk to anyone, and I'm not using my voice.

I feel we should create a GroupMe to expand the community so AllDeaf can get the credit it deserves.

We did have a mobile app at one time but since we moved to a different forum software it doesn't work anymore...

Welcome to AD :)

Although I am considerably older than you now, I starting becoming deaf at 19. I can relate to that feeling of discomfort around hearing people that you may have socialize with previously. I also talk less and less.

You mentioned in your intro that a deaf school is trying to recruit you. You may want to check out that option. Although it may seem scary to move to a new school so close to finishing high school, the new friendship you make in the Deaf community can last a lifetime and it may help you feel less isolated.

Although I am considerably older than you now, I starting becoming deaf at 19. I can relate to that feeling of discomfort around hearing people that you may have socialize with previously. I also talk less and less.

You mentioned in your intro that a deaf school is trying to recruit you. You may want to check out that option. Although it may seem scary to move to a new school so close to finishing high school, the new friendship you make in the Deaf community can last a lifetime and it may help you feel less isolated.

Yes, Rochester Tech Institute. I initially wanted to go to college in my old city, in Michigan. I made the decision of majoring in Allied Health Sciences, where I'd learn sign language and kind of a an advocate for DEAD of hoh individuals.

Than I decided on a bachelor's Toxicology, and go to medical school. My education happens to be the most important thing to me, and I definitely still want to learn ASL no matter what and study different sign languages from different countries. A prodominantly deaf and hoh college would be better for me than full hearing.

you definitely will be immersed full time with either RIT or Gallaudet. I don't know about RIT but I know Gallaudet does (or did at one time) have a "New Signers Program" or NSP every summer for two months I think it was. Started in July and went til about the week before classes started. Class every day all day. I was lucky enough to have a teacher who was deaf.

Yes, both schools still have a new signers program. I just looked it up: Gally's is called JumpStart and NTID's is called NSP.

Yes, both schools still have a new signers program. I just looked it up: Gally's is called JumpStart and NTID's is called NSP.

Ah thanks! wow.. JumpStart is a good name lol- they changed that long after I left!

Back