Mother seeks girl's hysterectomy

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mother seeks girl's hysterectomy

The mother of a severely disabled teenager has asked doctors to give her daughter a hysterectomy to stop her from starting menstruation.
Alison Thorpe, 45, from Essex, says 15-year-old Katie, who has cerebral palsy, would be confused by periods and they would cause her indignity.

Doctors are now seeking legal approval before carrying out the surgery.

The disabled charity Scope said the operation would set a "disturbing" precedent for other disabled girls.

If approved, it will be the first time in the UK a hysterectomy is carried out without it being medically needed.

Best possible life

Katie's mother said the operation would stop her daughter from going through unnecessary suffering.

Mrs Thorpe said: "All we are trying to do is keep and improve Katie's quality of life.

"By stopping menstruation it's allowing Katie to enjoy life to the full without the problems of menstruation...the mood swings, the tears, the stomach cramps, the pain, the discomfort, the embarrassment."

Mrs Thorpe said her daughter would not be able to ask for help or even let people know what she was feeling.

She said the decision had not been made lightly, but was something she had thought through for many years and finally decided upon when Katie turned 13.

According to the Sunday Times, Phil Robarts, a consultant gynaecologist at Mrs Thorpe's local hospital, supports her decision.

Mrs Thorpe said: "She's not going to get married and she's not going to have children...Katie is not going to become a normal adult.

"I absolutely understand that it's not for everyone, and I'm not saying it should be either.

"I'm not advocating this should be a blanket policy for all disabled children, absolute horror at that."

But she said she was "utterly" convinced it was the right decision for her daughter.

"It's not about us, it's about Katie," she said.

'Disturbing' consequences

The disabled charity Scope reacted with alarm to the news, which echoes the case of Ashley X, a nine-year-old American girl with the mental age of a three-month-old baby.

The charity's executive director, Andy Rickell, said the operation could have "disturbing" implications for other disabled children, and may not even be in the best interests of Katie.

He said he acknowledged that Katie and her mother faced a difficult and sensitive situation, and that he recognised the challenges faced by families with disabled children.

But he said there were deep ethical problems with carrying out unnecessary surgery on people who are unable to give consent.

He said: "It is very difficult to see how this kind of invasive surgery, which is not medically necessary and which will be very painful and traumatic, can be in Katie's best interests.

"This case raises fundamental ethical issues about the way our society treats disabled people and the respect we have for disabled people's human and reproductive rights.

"Scope is concerned that doctors are supporting parents in this case. If this enforced sterilisation is approved it will have disturbing implications for young disabled girls across Britain."

'Totally unacceptable'

He said that it was for society to adapt to the needs of disabled people, not the other way round.

Mr Rickell said the government should do more to help people who care for severely disabled people, and to put in place extra legal safeguards to protect the rights of disabled people themselves.

He said: "We want to see a clear framework put in place for dealing with ethical decisions of this complexity, which places the rights, and best interests, of disabled children at the heart of any decision."

Simone Aspis, of the UK's Disabled People's Council, said the case was about Katie's human rights.

She said: "It is very clear to us that no operation should be undertaken if there is absolutely no clinical benefit to the person concerned.

"The operation should not be carried out under these circumstances. We are very aware there are other methods of medical intervention that can be done to help control Katie's pain.

"There's lots of non-disabled women who also experience discomfort in their periods.

"Doctors wouldn't even anticipate in recommending to a parent that their child should have their womb removed. Why should it be the case for this person simply because she is disabled?

"As far as we're concerned that is totally and utterly unacceptable."

BBC NEWS | Health | Mother seeks girl's hysterectomy

Mrs Thorpe said: "She's not going to get married and she's not going to have children...Katie is not going to become a normal adult.

I am surprise about her comment like this. I don't know either she know or not that Cerebral palsy people can do with their successful to go school, make friends or playing... also married and have children as well... ?

If I has a cerebral palsy child then I would search the information how to help my child WITHOUT get surgery...

Many parents think surgery is the best and easy solutation to aviod "diease"...

Those situation remind me of Rosemary Kennedy... I am the fan of Kennedys and read the books and watch their TV documents... like Royal families...

Anyway, Rosemary was lively person which is normal for her age. Her father Joe Kennedy send her daughter to an unnecessary brain surgery because he thought the surgery is an easy solution for her social behavior. After brain surgery, it destory Rosemary's life permanelty paralyzed...

I am surprise about her comment like this. I don't know either she know or not that Cerebral palsy people can do with their successful to go school, make friends or playing... also married and have children as well... ?

If I has a cerebral palsy child then I would search the information how to help my child WITHOUT get surgery...

Unbelievable... the parents look down on their own daughter who is cerebral palsy. My best friend who is cerebral palsy and Deaf, she has a master degree and work as supervisor.

Many parents think surgery is the best and easy solutation to aviod "diease"...

Similuar to the c.i. the parents think the Deaf is diease as abnormal physical. Surgery would be the best solutation to be able to hearing.

Those situation remind me of Rosemary Kennedy... I am the fan of Kennedys and read the books and watch their TV documents... like Royal families...

Yes exactly, they are ashame of one of their children who is disability. They hide her from the public and media. Just like Osmond Family, they have two Deaf sons. The parents hide them from the media due to embarress for abnormal children as disability.

Anyway, Rosemary was lively person which is normal for her age. Her father Joe Kennedy send her daughter to an unnecessary brain surgery because he thought the surgery is an easy solution for her social behavior. After brain surgery, it destory Rosemary's life permanelty paralyzed...

In 1950's, they have alot of brain surgery on the Deaf and Mental Retarded children. The parents sent their disability babies to the agency to take care by other staffs. Then, end up abuse them and suffer. I took the psychology course, I saw the movie what they did to the mental retarded, Deaf, CP and Blind children. It was extremely SAD stories. Oh gosh, I rather not say too much details...

It is ashame of many parents did not accept for their disabilities children.

Know what, I am doing to give a presentation this morning at Federal Government as Nationa Disability Employment Awareness Month to introduce my special friend, Elaine who is Deaf-Blind. I am very excitied about this event today !!!

I will say:
Good morning, I have the pleasure of welcoming Elaine Ducharme, Director of the Deaf-Blind community Access Network. Elaine is a very courageous and brilliant woman, who loves to educate the hearing world. From Elaine's and my perspective, hearing and Deaf-Blind people can do anything except hear and see. You may feel that disability is limited, however, through American Sign Language and the uses of Tactile it provides us the opportunity to communicate with everyone.

Disability does not mean there are barriers to block us from having a successful career and education. Please join me in welcoming my friend and guest speaker Elaine Ducharme.

Wishes me a good luck....

Katie — who cannot walk or talk and is wheelchair-bound — is believed to have the mental age of an 18-month-old and struggles to understand what is being said to her.
Katie’s case mirrors that of Ashley X — a nine-year-old American girl with the mental age of a three-month-old baby who had a hysterectomy to stay as a child.

Health | NHS | Mum wants disabled girl's womb removed | The Sun |HomePage|News

One Deaf Celerbral Palsy lady I know got pregnant by a Rapist, but gave up her Rights to her Mother to become a Full time Guarantee.(sp?)

Yes exactly, they are ashame of one of their children who is disability. They hide her from the public and media. Just like Osmond Family, they have two Deaf sons. The parents hide them from the media due to embarress for abnormal children as disability.

Yes that's right, sad they are keep in the dark as these two sons are the first two eldest of the Osmond Family, they brought up in Mormon Religion.

I will say:
Quote:
Good morning, I have the pleasure of welcoming Elaine Ducharme, Director of the Deaf-Blind community Access Network. Elaine is a very courageous and brilliant woman, who loves to educate the hearing world. From Elaine's and my perspective, hearing and Deaf-Blind people can do anything except hear and see. You may feel that disability is limited, however, through American Sign Language and the uses of Tactile it provides us the opportunity to communicate with everyone.

Disability does not mean there are barriers to block us from having a successful career and education. Please join me in welcoming my friend and guest speaker Elaine Ducharme.

Lovely words - good luck!!:fingersx:

Opal, I do not trust "The Sun" newspaper... You know what it's this...

Unbelievable... the parents look down on their own daughter who is cerebral palsy. My best friend who is cerebral palsy and Deaf, she has a master degree and work as supervisor.

Yes I know... My co-worker, I used to work together in London at long time ago, has a cerebral palsy. She is a very pride person and don't allow anyone use her disablity to influence us. She is normal person and doing good... Thank to her parents for work hard on her...

I also have down Sydrom (sp) young lady who live next road from my house. I saw her everyday... She can walk to bus stop by her own for go to work and then come home by bus... and walk to home by her own everyday... Her parents know our deafness... They are amazed that we can do everything... but we also amazed that their daughter moviate her life and lack of her knowledge over her disabilty.

Similuar to the c.i. the parents think the Deaf is diease as abnormal physical. Surgery would be the best solutation to be able to hearing.

Yes I know... I am against to have implant on babies/toddlers with CI. I rather to see them focus HA first... I would not risk my children's life with unnecassary surgery.

Oh yes, thank you for fresh my memory about Osmond Family... Oh yes I remember that they have 2 deaf children... The pictures of them never shown with Osmond siblings and parents... What a sad...

In 1950's, they have alot of brain surgery on the Deaf and Mental Retarded children. The parents sent their disability babies to the agency to take care by other staffs. Then, end up abuse them and suffer. I took the psychology course, I saw the movie what they did to the mental retarded, Deaf, CP and Blind children. It was extremely SAD stories. Oh gosh, I rather not say too much details...

It is ashame of many parents did not accept for their disabilities children.

Remind me of Hilter time... :cold:

Know what, I am doing to give a presentation this morning at Federal Government as Nationa Disability Employment Awareness Month to introduce my special friend, Elaine who is Deaf-Blind. I am very excitied about this event today !!!

I will say:

Wonderful, wish you best of good luck... Please update us with news... :thumb:

Oh yes I forget to ask you something...

Did you watch DVD or movie "i am sam"?

It's really :tears: and happy....

Genres: Drama
Tagline: love is all you need

Plot Outline A mentally retarded man fights for custody of his 7-year-old daughter, and in the process teaches his cold-hearted lawyer the value of love and family.

Plot Synopsis: Sam Dawson has the mental capacity of a 7-year-old. He works at a Starbucks and is obsessed with the Beatles. He has a daughter with a homeless woman; she abandons them as soon as they leave the hospital. He names his daughter Lucy Diamond (after the Beatles song), and raises her. But as she reaches age 7 herself, Sam's limitations start to become a problem at school; she's intentionally holding back to avoid looking smarter than him. The authorities take her away, and Sam shames high-priced lawyer Rita Harrison into taking his case pro bono. In the process, he teaches her a great deal about love, and whether it's really all you need.

Amazon.com: I am Sam (New Line Platinum Series): DVD: Sean Penn,Michelle Pfeiffer,Dakota Fanning,Dianne Wiest,Loretta Devine,Richard Schiff,Laura Dern,Brad Silverman,Joseph Rosenberg,Stanley DeSantis,Doug Hutchison,Rosalind Chao,Ken Jenkins,Wendy Phi

I would recommend you to rent or buy DVD... "i am sam"

Yes I remember seeing that movie also, very very sad when most people saw him as he couldn't raise his own daughter, I think what matters the most is that his daughter loves her father, and wants to live with him....but people made it worse for him and his daugther cause of his mentally disablity...I find myself crying while watching the entire movie, and I absolutely love this movie..It helps people understand what we can do and can not do...

Radio DVD ~ Cuba Gooding Jr.
I've seen this movie so good!
and also seen Rainman.. so beautiful make me feel sad.. but worth it watch this movie... I would love to repeat watch this movie.
but have not seen I am sam.. One day, I will watch rental dvd..

These operations have happened more often than you know. Usually it's kept quiet.

Sorry, I feel that the mother should not be allowed to pass that jugdement on her daughter. That just not right. Later, I will explain my reason.

I still don't know how i feel about the story. Its kinda offensive really. anybody with Cerebral Palsy are capible with other things that some can't do. I do know that its a possibility that they can't have children. But what about the Hormones? without Hormones will change your life completely and take hormonal pills for as long as you live. I still think she should wait at 18 not at 15. Depends on UK laws on the age where they're on their own. Celebral Palsy have intelligence, you know. I had 2 CP students that went to school with me and they graduated. Of course, they're not normal but hell.. who is???? Nobody is normal. I just don't know.

Ok, now, here I go.

If that happens, then they are saying that anyone that has a disablity should not have their ablity to have kids. If a guy was in the same position as that teen girl, then should his balls be cut? Cause someone is blind, should they be fixed so they can't pass their genes along?

What about the kids that have mental problems? Should they fall into the same phase as the girl.

Then again, mother wants to remove a part of her daughter that don't need to be remove. Like going into anyone and removing one kidney. It just pointless, but then again, we can live on 1 kidney.

Back