Mother seeks girl's hysterectomy

May I point out Kate is mentally retarded, not able to take care of herself let alone of any child she would hypothetically have. Cerebral palsy is NOT the only probem with Kate.

Kate can NOT TALK or WALK. how is she going to be a mother?

[QUOTEAlison Thorpe said her 15-year-old daughter Katie, who cannot walk or talk, and needs round the clock care,[/QUOTE]

"She is double incontinent, she has no useful function in her hands or legs, she can't communicate. The only thing Katie can do for herself is breathe.

the mother didn't took her decison lightly:

"It was an agonising decision to make, as with every decision, I questioned myself endlessly 'Am I doing the right thing?'," she said.

"It is a decision I made probably about two years ago when she was 12 or 13 years old. It's taken me about 13 years to consider it, to consider the pros and cons, the advantages and the disadvantages.
Disabled girl to have womb removed - Telegraph

She said the doctors initially suggested contraceptive pills and injections to stop Katie's periods starting but she ruled them out because of the risk of the wheelchair-bound daughter suffering from thrombosis

Just think about it before you pass your judgement.

Fuzzy

May I point out Kate is mentally retarded, not able to take care of herself let alone of any child she would hypothetically have. Cerebral palsy is NOT the only probem with Kate.

[QUOTEAlison Thorpe said her 15-year-old daughter Katie, who cannot walk or talk, and needs round the clock care,

the mother didn't took her decison lightly:

Disabled girl to have womb removed - Telegraph

Just think about it before you pass your judgement.

Fuzzy[/QUOTE]

If that is the case, then she don't have to worry about her having a child, since she can't go on a date. If she can't go on a date, then she probly won't have intercourse, and won't have kids due to that.

Again, there is still no reason to do that. taking them out, she won't have a period and confuss her, but also, doing soo would make a change in her hormones and that would confuss her too. Then forcing her take meds to keep the balance would add more to it. The body adapts to meds and everything.

If that is the case, then she don't have to worry about her having a child, since she can't go on a date. If she can't go on a date, then she probly won't have intercourse, and won't have kids due to that.

but that is not the issue. since you are a man you don't understand what it's like to have a period. it can scare a healthy girl, it can be extremely painful.
and other stuff. kate is in no capacity to understand what's happening.
she would have to go thru trauma every month, again and again, do have some pity on her.

doing soo would make a change in her hormones and that would confuss her too. Then forcing her take meds to keep the balance would add more to it. The body adapts to meds and everything.

not like having periods. and it doesn't mean she will have to take them forever. not all hysterectomies are the same.
many women undergo hysterectomy all the time, and are fine.

Hysterectomy - Topic Overview - Women's Health on Yahoo! Health

Fuzzy

I remember this being raised with another young severely disabled girl receiving a similar surgery.

I find it disgusting.

Yes, she is retarded. Yes, she will never comprehend the pain she goes through. Yes, she will never use it to have children.

YES, she is also HUMAN.

We shouldn't get to hack away at a LIVING BREATHING human being simply because it makes our lives easier. There ARE hormonal options that easily lessen and reduce the frequency of periods. NO sane doctor would perform such a drastic procedure on a 15 year old female based ONLY on the fact that periods hurt.

Performing it on a retarded female is JUST as unethical, if not more so, because she cannot even COMPLAIN about being violated in such a grand way.

Well I would like to have a hysterectomy but my doctor won't allow it. After my mum died of cancer of the womb I wanted it done as a precationary measure to prevent me from having her type of cancer. Also because I don't want kids and have never wanted kids. I'm now 37 so don't think things will ever change.

We shouldn't get to hack away at a LIVING BREATHING human being simply because it makes our lives easier.

the procedure is intended to make KATE'S life eaier..

There ARE hormonal options that easily lessen and reduce the frequency of periods.

taking hormones for most of your life is not good - hormones have a lot of side effects, they may cause stroke, for example.

NO sane doctor would perform such a drastic procedure on a 15 year old female based ONLY on the fact that periods hurt.

Not just "hurt"- it would scare Kate, cause her big emotional distress.
also, I think the fam. drs agreed with the mother.

Fuzzy

^After getting the procedure, she'd STILL have to take hormones. Complete with side effects. Not to mention the risks of a sugrical procedure?

She's not mental retard, she is a cerebral palsy human being, are you aware that with proper therapy, most people with cerebral palsy can lead a good life? Just because she cannot walk or talk yet, that condition can improve with proper therapy. I don't see where it says that the girl uses wheelchair to move around.

The point is cerebral palsy people can have the same life as other people out there, they're human beings for gawd sake. It's pointless to look down upon them just because they're different. It doesn't matter. If people realized that there are helps out there for each person who needs it, and this girl needs proper therapy to help her with living a normal life.

Maybe the reason she couldn't communicate or walk yet, is because her mother being laziness in getting the proper care to help her daughter, instead looking for excuses to get her daughter to carrying out the surgery to prevent her from having kids of her own, even prevent her from getting married.

I wishes more people out there would have a heart for her, instead of taking the side of the mother or the parents.

In my view, I don't support in mother's decision for her daughter to have hysterectomy. I don't feel it is right for mother to do that. It's just not right. Of course, I am aware that the daughter is CP, but that doesn't mean that her mother has the rights to make/force her to remove hysterectomy. It's wrong to do that - IMO.

I feel that the mother wants to seek for an easy job when her daughter is in her care and don't want to " work " to clean up the mess, just because her daughter is CP... and feel that the mother don't want to be responsible for takin' care of the daughter's future children if, the daughter should keep the womb.

It's a lame excuse for mother to use by sayin' somethin' like " the pain ", " the tears " and so on. It's all common to feel this pain when it comes to menstrual. By havin' a period makes a girl a " woman " ( congrats ). I am sure there's another way/or option instead of removin' daughter's womb. Take some medications for the pain instead of surgery for instance.

I just don't want to see this girl to be the FIRST CP who will remove her womb by her mother and this may affect other CP patients' parents' decisions... and, also I wouldn't want to see UK to make a new law for CP patients to remove their wombs in the near future - it reminds me of Terri Schavio ( sp ? ) when she was in vegetable state without controllin' of her own rights. Yeah, yeah I know it's different between CP and vegetable state, but I am lookin' at someone else's control/makin' decisions over their " disabled " kin/or someone in the family. What's wrong with help and do their job with unconditionally love instead of hurtin' someone anyway ?

She's not mental retard, she is a cerebral palsy human being, are you aware that with proper therapy, most people with cerebral palsy can lead a good life? Just because she cannot walk or talk yet, that condition can improve with proper therapy. I don't see where it says that the girl uses wheelchair to move around.

The point is cerebral palsy people can have the same life as other people out there, they're human beings for gawd sake. It's pointless to look down upon them just because they're different. It doesn't matter. If people realized that there are helps out there for each person who needs it, and this girl needs proper therapy to help her with living a normal life.

Maybe the reason she couldn't communicate or walk yet, is because her mother being laziness in getting the proper care to help her daughter, instead looking for excuses to get her daughter to carrying out the surgery to prevent her from having kids of her own, even prevent her from getting married.

I wishes more people out there would have a heart for her, instead of taking the side of the mother or the parents.

Read and see here:
Why I want surgeons to remove my disabled daughter's womb | the Daily Mail

Katie developed cerebral palsy after being starved of oxygen at birth for 38 minutes

Are you familiar with oxygen deprivation for 5 minutes, let alone for 38?

Not every cerebral palsy is the same.
Disabled 15 year-old girl to lose womb - Times Online
Printer Friendly Format - The Herald

It's easy to say if you are only a bystander, try to imagine that Kate is your child..

Fuzzy

EVERYONE........this girl has PROFOUND MR.

She has the mental capacity of an 18-month- old and understands little of what is said to her.
PROFOUND MR. She's essentially a BABY! This is a FAR cry from sterializing dhh folks, or mild mr folks or other disabled folks.
One thing that nobody's brought up as of yet, is that MR folks are at HUGE risk for being sexually abused. especially those with profound and severe MR (b/c they can't tell anyone about it) What's better? Her being sterilzed or her being sexually abused in a home so she gets pregnant?

Celebral Palsy have intelligence, you know. I had 2 CP students that went to school with me and they graduated. Of course, they're not normal but hell.. who is???? Nobody is normal. I just don't know.

Yes, that's right.

We can tell that they have CP but they have their good intelligence and moviation.

Like what I said in my previous post that CP person I used work at same building in London at years ago before I moved and live in Germany. She is a pride person and won't let anyone affect her disablity. She work well like anyone.

Yes, that's what I thought so.

The problem is the some parents have lack of their exposure, education and awareness how to develop their children in positive way.

In my view, I don't support in mother's decision for her daughter to have hysterectomy. I don't feel it is right for mother to do that. It's just not right. Of course, I am aware that the daughter is CP, but that doesn't mean that her mother has the rights to make/force her to remove hysterectomy. It's wrong to do that - IMO.

I feel that the mother wants to seek for an easy job when her daughter is in her care and don't want to " work " to clean up the mess, just because her daughter is CP... and feel that the mother don't want to be responsible for takin' care of the daughter's future children if, the daughter should keep the womb.

It's a lame excuse for mother to use by sayin' somethin' like " the pain ", " the tears " and so on. It's all common to feel this pain when it comes to menstrual. By havin' a period makes a girl a " woman " ( congrats ). I am sure there's another way/or option instead of removin' daughter's womb. Take some medications for the pain instead of surgery for instance.

I just don't want to see this girl to be the FIRST CP who will remove her womb by her mother and this may affect other CP patients' parents' decisions... and, also I wouldn't want to see UK to make a new law for CP patients to remove their wombs in the near future - it reminds me of Terri Schavio ( sp ? ) when she was in vegetable state without controllin' of her own rights. Yeah, yeah I know it's different between CP and vegetable state, but I am lookin' at someone else's control/makin' decisions over their " disabled " kin/or someone in the family. What's wrong with help and do their job with unconditionally love instead of hurtin' someone anyway ?

:gpost:

A deaf lady, I frequent met at deaf festivals in the past. I met her again last Friday. Of course I brought this subject up to her because I know she has a 16 years old brain damaged daughter thru lack of oxygen at birth. The reason I asked her because she herself is mother of severe disablitly teenager. She do not support mother's decision and said that CP is not bad and CAN develop successful only if the parents focus deeper how to develop their CP child in positive way. She decided to put her daughter to nursing care because she beleive that the nursing care have expert hands how to care of her daughter. She visit to see her there every weekends and brought her home with her during holidays. I respect her decision when she know she can't take care of her. What she did is great because she did not abuse her or whatever. She said that her daughter's development is good.

I would advise the mother to put her daughter to nursing care if she feel it's too much for her. I see no excuse for remove part of her human to save her stress...

The situation over Terri Schavio got me second thought after watch on true movie with subtitles about the Furniture company owner and his 17 years old daughter who have similar situation as Terri Shavio after motor bike accident last summer. I can see thru their movie how hard they work to develop their daughter with the help from therapies and plus in Switerzland as well. It took them 7 years to work hard to improve their daughter's development. It belongs good patience... She is able to walk at last but with the help from crutches... and can speak word to word now and can speak on the phone... I am sure that she will not need crutches anymore few years later... Some doctors are speechless and said that the love for daughter work best than any medicine... Those movie make me :tears: (I will search the German movie and know German actor and will try to find English link...) Those movie wake me up and got me second thought about Terri's situation. I guess it could improve her development due their patience and work hard... but Michael gave up because the doctors said so that there're no hope for her which is an exact same what the doctors said to company owner of daughter but the company owner ignored the doctor and refused to accept the fact and fought and fought. He & his family DID it successful... :tears:

Not every cerebral palsy is mentally retarded- but unfortunately Katie is, and severly.

Fuzzy

And who will be taking care of Katie and Katie's children if Katie's mother suddenly dies?

Fuzzy

And who will be taking care of Katie and Katie's children if Katie's mother suddenly dies?

Fuzzy

Simple answer - the CPS/government will take her over as their guardian automatic if she has no relatives to take care of her... If she have relatives then up to their decision either they can take care of her or put her nursing home.

:gpost:

A deaf lady, I frequent met at deaf festivals in the past. I met her again last Friday. Of course I brought this subject up to her because I know she has a 16 years old brain damaged daughter thru lack of oxygen at birth. The reason I asked her because she herself is mother of severe disablitly teenager. She do not support mother's decision and said that CP is not bad and CAN develop successful only if the parents focus deeper how to develop their CP child in positive way. She decided to put her daughter to nursing care because she beleive that the nursing care have expert hands how to care of her daughter. She visit to see her there every weekends and brought her home with her during holidays. I respect her decision when she know she can't take care of her. What she did is great because she did not abuse her or whatever. She said that her daughter's development is good.

I would advise the mother to put her daughter to nursing care if she feel it's too much for her. I see no excuse for remove part of her human to save her stress...

The situation over Terri Schavio got me second thought after watch on true movie with subtitles about the Furniture company owner and his 17 years old daughter who have similar situation as Terri Shavio after motor bike accident last summer. I can see thru their movie how hard they work to develop their daughter with the help from therapies and plus in Switerzland as well. It took them 7 years to work hard to improve their daughter's development. It belongs good patience... She is able to walk at last but with the help from crutches... and can speak word to word now and can speak on the phone... I am sure that she will not need crutches anymore few years later... Some doctors are speechless and said that the love for daughter work best than any medicine... Those movie make me :tears: (I will search the German movie and know German actor and will try to find English link...) Those movie wake me up and got me second thought about Terri's situation. I guess it could improve her development due their patience and work hard... but Michael gave up because the doctors said so that there're no hope for her which is an exact same what the doctors said to company owner of daughter but the company owner ignored the doctor and refused to accept the fact and fought and fought. He & his family DID it successful... :tears:

Patience always paid off through unconditional love. Without love, there's no hope to success. Michael has no patience. Now, this CP girl's mother is next. She has no patience, either. I don't understand why some people have no patience when I knew there's a " bright " side ahead. It takes time and work through, no matter how long it takes. Patience is a virtue and will win at the end with happiness.
I know the story of Terri Schavio and it made me tears, too. I am glad she is in peace now. She's with her Maker in heaven.

Back