Mental issue due to play GTA game?

^ Yeah. That's something we should concern if we are parents... I'm glad to see some my friends already begin to limit their kids' time for only 30 minutes to one hour, depends on their age. Sometimes, I just play a video game for only 2 to 2 half hours once or twice a day. Now, I don't play since December because it is kinda broke, aha. I think it's so important to balance your life with playable devices and indoor & outdoor activies.

It still amazes me that those people can play for so much time!

I think blaming video games on mental disorders and violence is a very easy way to demonize something that is easily understood, rather than deal with the problem at hand. It's very easy to say.. "She played violent video games and shot someone because of it!". It's a lot harder to really get in and figure out that she has a family history of mental illness, an abusive childhood, and was recently diagnosed with a mental disorder. Sometimes it's even harder to acknowledge that some people are just bad and want to hurt other people.

It's like saying that people listen to music and some people are deaf, therefore listening to music makes people deaf.

Where does someone like me fit in who pretty much exclusively plays healer roles in every game I play. Does that mean that the game has forced me to be a doctor or nurse.

Bad people exist, violence has always existed. We are a mean, judgmental, greedy selfish species. It doesn't require video games to bring that out. Look at the people in some of the forums here being mean and judgmental against a certain ranting conspiracy theorist. Take personal responsibility and societal responsibility.

I think blaming video games on mental disorders and violence is a very easy way to demonize something that is easily understood, rather than deal with the problem at hand. It's very easy to say.. "She played violent video games and shot someone because of it!". It's a lot harder to really get in and figure out that she has a family history of mental illness, an abusive childhood, and was recently diagnosed with a mental disorder. Sometimes it's even harder to acknowledge that some people are just bad and want to hurt other people.

It's like saying that people listen to music and some people are deaf, therefore listening to music makes people deaf.

Where does someone like me fit in who pretty much exclusively plays healer roles in every game I play. Does that mean that the game has forced me to be a doctor or nurse.

Bad people exist, violence has always existed. We are a mean, judgmental, greedy selfish species. It doesn't require video games to bring that out. Look at the people in some of the forums here being mean and judgmental against a certain ranting conspiracy theorist. Take personal responsibility and societal responsibility.

Yes, it is more easier to blame on video game than being done.

No one said it requires a video game, or that all gamers will commit violent crime. But that is clearly a factor in these sad and brutal crimes. Bad things happen when people are detached from reality.

When I join Left 4 Dead game with expert mode. Host was a temper female gamer who cannot stand with noobs. She shoot them as she's a griefer. Also, She downloaded a hack tool for kick/ban them without vote. (rolling eyes)

Other girl gamer's profile said:

"I clean up my friendslist now and then and the reason is...

- I dont play with u anymore cause u suck.
- I dont like u.
- U flame my friends.
- Or i just removed u for fun."

Yes, alot mental gamer issues.

Like that griefers' way. They tried to vote kick them out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITW7DEnZ-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ix7Xlw-II

Last edited:
Not believe it because if one billion people play on violent video game. It is mean one billion people will have mental problem with violent video game or do bad thing. No way ! What about TV Show or religion(cult) or learn about history of war ?

When I join Left 4 Dead game with expert mode. Host was a temper female gamer who cannot stand with noobs. She shoot them as she's a griefer. Also, She downloaded a hack tool for kick/ban them without vote. (rolling eyes)

Other girl gamer's profile said:

"I clean up my friendslist now and then and the reason is...

- I dont play with u anymore cause u suck.
- I dont like u.
- U flame my friends.
- Or i just removed u for fun."

Yes, alot mental gamer issues.

Like that griefers' way. They tried to vote kick them out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITW7DEnZ-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ix7Xlw-II

lol... When MOHAA was at high peak, few hosts boot me off because I was too good. :roll: It's almost common along few other host sessions (i.e. Call of Duty, BF3, etc...) to boot someone who is noob or elite player.

At iRacing, some people took racing way too serious, they would scream at you if you act stupid, such as crashing or "blocking" (which not allowed in iRacing) and etc... it was pretty funny to see them behave that way.

Interesting about FBI profiler's statement on video game and she made a strong point about variable.

Former Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) senior profiler Mary Ellen O'Toole does not believe video games cause violence. Speaking on Face The Nation (run by GameSpot parent company CBS), O'Toole said games are just one variable in a much wider spectrum of risk factors for those who may act out violently.

"It's my experience that video games do not cause violence," O'Toole said. "However, it is one of the risk variables when we do a threat assessment for the risk to act out violently. And my experience has been [that] individuals who are already contemplating acting out in a violent way, if they are also emerged 24/7 in violent videos, to the exclusion of other activities, and they're isolated, and they're actually using these videos as planning or collateral evidence in terms of how to do it better, what equipment to buy, how to select the victims, how to approach the crime scene. If their use is educational materials for the offender to do the crime better, that's what we take into consideration."

"But again, it's important that I point out as a threat assessment and as a former FBI profiler, we don't see these as the cause of violence; we see them as sources of fueling ideation that's already there," she added.

""It's my experience that video games do not cause violence. However, it is one of the risk variables when we do a threat assessment for the risk to act out violently. "--O'Toole

Also speaking on the matter was Parents Television Council president Tim Winter, who agreed that video games do not--by themselves--cause violence. However, he argued the topic is especially important to address today, when media has become a 24/7 activity for children.

"This isn't an all-or-nothing; it's not zero percent, it's not 100 percent. But it is a percent of the problem and we have to address it," Winter said. "The parents are grandparents that are watching this show today understand in their hearts already that this stuff is harmful to children. And it's even more harmful now that you have 24/7 digital media hitting children through multiple platforms."

Winter also called on ratings groups and the industry itself to do a better job helping parents to understand the content of a given game. He pointed to a game in which players can kill, urinate on, and set ablaze a police officer, though it's unclear which title he was referring to.

"It's not just a parent's obligation. I think the industry has to have a responsibility," he said. "When you have a video game that allows a player to shoot a police officer, walk up to that police officer and urinate on him, douse him with gasoline and set him on fire, and listen to him scream as he burns to death. What kind of sticker do you put on the box to warn a parent about that?"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/former-fbi-profiler-says-games-do-not-cause-violence-6404409

ESRB include description about types of violence - if rating say intense violence so it is very likely that you will allowed to kill the police officer in game. Some games will say mild violence that doesn't involve in fatal like Skate 3. If cartoon games say about violence that likely to kill or stomp in cartoon matter, or in fantasy.

Rating categories, content descriptors, and interactive elements from ESRB

It is better to have rating system, rather than no rating system at all.

However, it is one of the risk variables when we do a threat assessment for the risk to act out violently. "--O'Toole

Exactly. :thumb:

Gamer <---- link website address

I heard a foreign news from New Zealand about GTA games has been banned.

I've seen worse than that happen in movies and books, but they don't want to ban the movies, and they actually want people to read books. How weird is that.

Well, one of some shooters who never play video game. For example, remember Virginia Tech? That shooter never play video game.

Here we go again blaming video games for real live events. :roll:

If I remember correct - Columbine was blamed on Matrix movie because the way they dressed up just similar what Neo wore when Neo entered a building with lot of weapons in overcoat. But the point is media would rather blame on video game, movie, etc... other than person's mental unstabled itself.
Yeah. They also blamed it on Natural Born Killers (movie), Marilyn Manson (musician), and Doom (video game).

They would rather blame it on others than themselves or their own flaws.

Both guys were bullied for 4 years and teachers looked the other way. (This is too common. I went through the same thing. I was either told that I would be suspended if I were to go through with the report of the bullying or principal/teacher would shrug their shoulders and tell me to let it go.)

Both guys made threats a year before the shooting and a detective knew about it. He made a report, but never filed it. During the next two years after the shooting, this so-called report was "lost".

I didn't read all posts because I don't have time so anyway I have to admit that my son is one of the addicts but he's really fine. I guess some of you, people forgot that America is the land of freedom.

Yes, not surprised about this thread is in gaming section and the serious gamers don't agree about violent games cause violence in the real life.

I didn't read all posts because I don't have time so anyway I have to admit that my son is one of the addicts but he's really fine. I guess some of you, people forgot that America is the land of freedom.

Yes, I'm chuckling about legislators couldn't restrict, regulate or control the game industries. :giggle:

The FBI said it is a risk factor. I don't think anyone is blaming games entirely. But there is no doubt that there is a link.

Ok, let's reduce the argument about games and murders into something else. Mass shooting is not frequent (1 person out of millions of gamers) and usually involve person who is depressed/mental issue.

Do you feel violent games that feature realism (CoD, CS:S, Battlefield, Rainbow 6, Borderlands, Crysis, Farcry, ETC) can lead addicted gamer to develop aggression/anger in real life?

This answer - I believe many parents say their kid(s) may get behavior issues from playing games too long.

Ok, let's reduce the argument about games and murders into something else. Mass shooting is not frequent (1 person out of millions of gamers) and usually involve person who is depressed/mental issue.

Do you feel violent games that feature realism (CoD, CS:S, Battlefield, Rainbow 6, Borderlands, Crysis, Farcry, ETC) can lead addicted gamer to develop aggression/anger in real life?

This answer - I believe many parents say their kid(s) may get behavior issues from playing games too long.

I was addicted gamer in past and made no difference to my behavior.

http://socialjudgments.com/docs/Uhlmann and Swanson 2003.pdf
Exposure to violent video games increases automatic aggressiveness
Eric Uhlmann, Jane Swanson
Department of Psychology, Yale University

Abstract
The effects of exposure to violent video games on automatic associations with the self were investigated in a sample of 121 students. Playing the violent video game Doom led participants to associate themselves with aggressive traits and actions on the Implicit Association Test. In addition, self-reported prior exposure to violent video games predicted automatic aggressive self-concept, above and beyond self-reported aggression. Results suggest that playing violent video games can lead to the automatic learning of aggressive self-views.
2003 The Association for Professionals in Services for Adolescents. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Effects of Violent Video Games on Aggressive Behavior, Aggressive Cognition, Aggressive Affect, Physiological Arousal, and Prosocial Behavior: A Meta-Analytic Review of the Scientific Literature
Effects of Violent Video Games on Aggressive Behavior, Aggressive Cognition, Aggressive Affect, Physiological Arousal, and Prosocial Behavior: A Meta-Analytic Review of the Scientific Literature
Craig A. Anderson and
Brad J. Bushman

Abstract

Research on exposure to television and movie violence suggests that playing violent video games will increase aggressive behavior. A meta-analytic review of the video-game research literature reveals that violent video games increase aggressive behavior in children and young adults. Experimental and nonexperimental studies with males and females in laboratory and field settings support this conclusion. Analyses also reveal that exposure to violent video games increases physiological arousal and aggression-related thoughts and feelings. Playing violent video games also decreases prosocial behavior.

Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life
Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life
Craig A. Anderson Department of Psychology University of Missouri–Columbia
Karen E. Dill Department of Psychology Lenoir-Rhyne College

ABSTRACT
Two studies examined violent video game effects on aggression-related variables. Study 1 found that real-life violent video game play was positively related to aggressive behavior and delinquency. The relation was stronger for individuals who are characteristically aggressive and for men. Academic achievement was negatively related to overall amount of time spent playing video games. In Study 2, laboratory exposure to a graphically violent video game increased aggressive thoughts and behavior. In both studies, men had a more hostile view of the world than did women. The results from both studies are consistent with the General Affective Aggression Model, which predicts that exposure to violent video games will increase aggressive behavior in both the short term (e.g., laboratory aggression) and the long term (e.g., delinquency).

Violent Video Games and Hostile Expectations: A Test of the General Aggression Model
Violent Video Games and Hostile Expectations: A Test of the General Aggression Model
Brad J. Bushman Iowa State University
Craig A. Anderson Iowa State University

Abstract

Research conducted over several decades has shown that violent media increase aggression. It is now time to move beyond the question of whether violent media increase aggression to answering the question why violent media increase aggression. The present research tested whether violent video games produce a hostile expectation bias—the tendency to expect others to react to potential conflicts with aggression. Participants (N = 224) played either a violent or nonviolent video game. Next, they read ambiguous story stems about potential interpersonal conflicts. They were asked what the main character will do, say, think, and feel as the story continues. People who played a violent video game described the main character as behaving more aggressively, thinking more aggressive thoughts, and feeling more angry than did people who played a nonviolent video game. These results are consistent with the General Aggression Model.

Correlates and Consequences of Exposure to Video Game Violence: Hostile Personality, Empathy, and Aggressive Behavior
Correlates and Consequences of Exposure to Video Game Violence: Hostile Personality, Empathy, and Aggressive Behavior
Bruce D. Bartholow University of Missouri–Columbia
Marc A. Sestir Edward B. Davis University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill

Abstract

Research has shown that exposure to violent video games causes increases in aggression, but the mechanisms of this effect have remained elusive. Also, potential differences in short-term and long-term exposure are not well understood. An initial correlational study shows that video game violence exposure (VVE) is positively correlated with self-reports of aggressive behavior and that this relation is robust to controlling for multiple aspects of personality. A lab experiment showed that individuals low in VVE behave more aggressively after playing a violent video game than after a nonviolent game but that those high in VVE display relatively high levels of aggression regardless of game content. Mediational analyses show that trait hostility, empathy, and hostile perceptions partially account for the VVE effect on aggression. These findings suggest that repeated exposure to video game violence increases aggressive behavior in part via changes in cognitive and personality factors associated with desensitization.

ScienceDirect.com - Journal of Adolescence - Playing violent electronic games, hostile attributional style, and aggression-related norms in German adolescents
Playing violent electronic games, hostile attributional style, and aggression-related norms in German adolescents
Barbara Krahé, , Ingrid Möller
Department of Psychology, University of Potsdam, Postfach 60 15 53, D-14415 Potsdam, Germany

Abstract
The relationship was examined between exposure to and preference for violent electronic games and aggressive norms as well as hostile attributional style. Following a pilot study to sample widely used electronic games varying in violent content, 231 eighth-grade adolescents in Germany reported their use of and attraction to violent electronic games. They also completed measures of hostile attributional style and endorsement of aggressive norms. There were significant gender differences in usage and attraction to violent electronic games, with boys scoring higher than girls. Significant relationships were found between attraction to violent electronic games and the acceptance of norms condoning physical aggression. Violent electronic games were linked indirectly to hostile attributional style through aggressive norms. The findings are discussed with respect to North American research on the aggression-enhancing effect of violent electronic games.

ScienceDirect.com - Aggression and Violent Behavior - The effects of violent video games on adolescents: The overlooked influence of development
The effects of violent video games on adolescents: The overlooked influence of development
Steven J. Kirsh, Department of Psychology, SUNY-Geneseo, Geneseo

Abstract
Recent acts of extreme violence involving teens and associated links to violent video games have led to an increased interest in video game violence. Research suggests that violent video games influence aggressive behavior, aggressive affect, aggressive cognition, and physiological arousal. Anderson and Bushman [Annu. Rev. Psychol. 53 (2002) 27.] have posited a General Aggression Model (GAM) to explain the mechanism behind the link between violent video games and aggressive behavior. However, the influence of violent video games as a function of developmental changes across adolescence has yet to be addressed. The purpose of this review is to integrate the GAM with developmental changes that occur across adolescence.

Violent and nonviolent video games differentially affect physical aggression for individuals high vs. low in dispositional anger - Engelhardt - 2011 - Aggressive Behavior - Wiley Online Library
Violent and nonviolent video games differentially affect physical aggression for individuals high vs. low in dispositional anger

Christopher R. Engelhardt*, Bruce D. Bartholow, J. Scott Saults

Abstract
Although numerous experiments have shown that exposure to violent video games (VVG) causes increases in aggression, relatively few studies have investigated the extent to which this effect differs as a function of theoretically relevant individual difference factors. This study investigated whether video game content differentially influences aggression as a function of individual differences in trait anger. Participants were randomly assigned to play a violent or nonviolent video game before completing a task in which they could behave aggressively. Results showed that participants high in trait anger were the most aggressive, but only if they first played a VVG. This relationship held while statistically controlling for dimensions other than violent content on which game conditions differed (e.g. frustration, arousal). Implications of these findings for models explaining the effects of video games on behavior are discussed. Aggr. Behav. 37:539–546, 2011.

It is commonly researched topic in many colleges. Violent video games are just like violent films, it can increase aggressive behavior - not necessarily mean killing someone. It is across the world too, not just US citizens.

Back