Mental issue due to play GTA game?

Well, World of Warcraft is RPG that only contain fantasy violence, that's not same as GTA game.

Still, James Holmes case is very strictly to Batman film.

:dunno: Maybe it was both. He certainly lost touch with reality.

Not really, it isn't both because World of Warcraft doesn't have firearm involved and it is extremely fantasy, also I played World of Warcraft about 2 years ago.

Batman film is very strongly realistic and the firearm is commonly involved.

If I remember correct - Columbine was blamed on Matrix movie because the way they dressed up just similar what Neo wore when Neo entered a building with lot of weapons in overcoat. But the point is media would rather blame on video game, movie, etc... other than person's mental unstabled itself.

It is big mistake to blame on video game for tragic event, for sure.

Not really, it isn't both because World of Warcraft doesn't have firearm involved and it is extremely fantasy, also I played World of Warcraft about 2 years ago.

Batman film is very strongly realistic and the firearm is commonly involved.

Meh, I will leave that for the experts to decide. The violence in the game wouldn't need to involve a firearm. The danger is in the disconnect with reality, not just with familiarity of the scene.

Meh, I will leave that for the experts to decide. The violence in the game wouldn't need to involve a firearm. The danger is in the disconnect with reality, not just with familiarity of the scene.

The danger is giving mentally ill people access to guns, plain and simple.

The danger is giving mentally ill people access to guns, plain and simple.

Yes, that's good point.

The mentally ill people is one of biggest red word and the mental health service need be fixed.

Were they mentally ill before they started playing violent games? :dunno:

Yes, especially schizophrenia, bipolar, mood disorder and several disorders.

Some of mental illness, especially bipolar isn't started until adulthood.

Yes, especially schizophrenia, bipolar, mood disorder and several disorders.

Some of mental illness, especially bipolar isn't started until adulthood.

I don't believe anyone can say for certain that video game play did not precede evidence of mental illness in all of these killers or that video games did not escalate the situation. The fact is all of them played video games, they have that in common. It is a link.

I don't believe anyone can say for certain that video game play did not precede evidence of mental illness in all of these killers or that video games did not escalate the situation. The fact is all of them played video games, they have that in common. It is a link.

No, most mental illness, especially bipolar and schizophrenia caused by genetics and they required to be treated with medicines, also need maintain the good life. The playing video game or watching film isn't issue if they are properly treated, but with poor treatment or lack of access, mentally ill people will goes wild and make really bad happen, so it has been existed for years before video game evolved and they originally locked up in the hospital, prior to deinstitutionalization.

The video game doesn't cause mental illness, beside of addiction in some games like World of Warcraft (WoW) and some people who had no life by played WoW all day usually died from malnutrition, so it didn't commit murder as some mentally ill people did. Without treatment, mentally ill people who are exposed to film, video game, comic, action, etc will make them goes out of control because they don't understand about what something is bad or not.

I have seen many different therapists and that how I got much experience from them. At overall, the video game doesn't make human goes out to break the law, but it does make mentally ill people so worse if not properly treated.

You made really much blame on video game, probably because you don't like video game and you didn't take my argument on mental illness at beginning. I felt that you are just fooling without look at fact or truth by blaming on video game.

Then you guys really should to discuss with those experts if they're truly wrong about video games effect on people... E-mail 'em or send them a mail, or whatever you prefer.

So, yes, we get that video games do have many benefits, but we just can't just ignore the negative effects from those video games...

Then you guys really should to discuss with those experts if they're truly wrong about video games effect on people... E-mail 'em or send them a mail, or whatever you prefer.

So, yes, we get that video games do have many benefits, but we just can't just ignore the negative effects from those video games...

Yes, I did with some professors, especially in psychology and sociology, and they gave mixed explanation about effect of video game on people's mentality. There are many, many things are contributed to cause any disaster since video game is very small of them.

Some members in this forum gave me a bad taste because I play violent games. *SMH*

Yes, I did with some professors, especially in psychology and sociology, and they gave mixed explanation about effect of video game on people's mentality. There are many, many things are contributed to cause any disaster since video game is very small of them.

Some members in this forum gave me a bad taste because I play violent games. *SMH*

So, basically, you said we have no reason to be concerned at all? Because...?

Ah, I'm sorry. =/ I don't have any problem with you play those games... That's fine, and I know you value violence that much and all after...

Although most kids don't become addicted to video games, you may still want to keep a sharp eye on your child's gaming habits.

A study released this week in the journal Pediatrics followed more than 3,000 elementary and middle school kids in Singapore over a two-year period, looking at the problem of obsessive, or pathological gaming, and identifing the risk factors and personal characteristics involved.

Overall, kids who become pathological gamers tend to be more impulsive, have lower social competence, are less empathic and are less able to regulate their emotions, according to the authors.

Once players became pathological gamers, their grades suffered, as did their relationships with their parents. In addition, they also began to be exposed to more violent video games, which the authors say, is a concern in light of previous studies that have linked short-term and long-term effects of violent games on aggression.

In fact, the study finds kids who began playing more violent games began to have more aggressive fantasies and engaged in more aggressive behaviors. They also were more likely to be victims of aggression, the authors say.

This study is the first to show that gaming predicts other mental health disorders and is not just associated with them. So, although kids who are depressed may retreat into gaming, the gaming increases their depression and vice versa, the authors report.

"Although children do use games as a coping mechanism, it is not simply a symptom of other problems," the researchers write. "Youths who became pathological gamers ended up with increased levels of depression, anxiety and social phobia."

Yet, those who stopped their pathological gaming ended up with lower levels of depression, anxiety and social phobia than did those who remained pathological gamers, according to the findings.

The researchers also note that most pathological gamers in the study were still pathological gamers after two years, which suggests pathological gaming is not just a "phase" kids go through.

Kids who become pathological gamers started out playing for an average of 31 hours per week, compared with 19 hours for those who did not. However, the amount of gaming alone was not enough to define pathological gaming, the authors note.

Video Games Can Cause Mental Health Problems, Study Finds - ParentDish

So, basically, you said we have no reason to be concerned at all? Because...?

Ah, I'm sorry. =/ I don't have any problem with you play those games... That's fine, and I know you value violence that much and all after...

No, obviously, we have some reason to be concerned and it is important to balance your life, also play WoW all day isn't good.

I have been diagnosed with OCD in 2006 because of family history - my mother was diagnosed with OCD in late 1970's, also she didn't play game, except for arcade after high school at once per week and in 2006, I usually play PS2 games about no more than 15-20 hours per week. The OCD made me more obsessive to story completion on video game, also it make obsessive to complete the school assignment/studying. For example, the research paper should be due in 2 weeks but my mind obsessed me to finish in 1 day without any break.

There is effective on forum, if I and TXgolfer are debate about some topic that made me obsessive to debate and have serious trouble to stop or end the debate.

I have PTSD as well, diagnosed about year ago due to traumatic from family mistreatment, worst bullying at high school, victimized by crazy, dangerous driver and recently situation with crazed, aggressive driver was tried to shoot at me on interstate highway. It is extremely impossible to get off my mind about tragic traumatic in my life. I don't feel like want go out to real world because of unbearable of anxiety.

Oh wow, not again, I'm disappointed with Crysis 3 and can't believe that EA is getting worse now.

Russia Gamer Stabs Mom to Death

Gamer Stabs Mom to Death | The St. Petersburg Times | The leading English-language newspaper in St. Petersburg

A local 17-year-old gamer killed his mother for disturbing him while he was playing a shooter game on his computer last Friday. After stabbing his mother four times with a large kitchen knife, the teenager went back to playing his game.

The boy, identified only as Maxim, did not stop playing even once police and an ambulance arrived, Fontanka reported.

When policemen asked him why he had killed his mother, the teenager replied that he did it because she “was bothering him.”

On June 8, the gamer’s mother, Olga Abramova, reportedly entered her son’s room and demanded he stop playing his game. The young man did not react, so she switched off the computer, made her son leave the room and suggested he do some chores around the house. She then locked herself in the room with the computer.

A few minutes later, the teenager took a large knife from the kitchen, kicked open the door to the room and stabbed his mother four times in the chest. He then proceeded to switch the computer back on and continue playing his game. The boy’s sick grandmother witnessed the scene, but could not do anything because of her condition.

Abramova then crawled to the kitchen, called a neighbor and dragged herself to the door to let her in. The neighbor then called another neighbor for help, as well as the police and an ambulance. Despite their efforts, the mother died as a result of her injuries, Fontanka reported.

The police who arrived at the scene reportedly had to use physical force to pull the boy away from his computer. He was arrested and is being charged of murder.

The Abramov family did not reportedly have a history of social problems; the young man had a stepfather and worked part-time at McDonald’s. Maxim was, however, prosecuted for theft at 15 years old for stealing from a store. Later he skipped classes and was detained several times for petty theft, Fontanka reported.

One of my girl gamers from Steam. She was 15 yrs old. Her mother took her computer away for punishment something for unfinish do her homework. She love to playing Left 4 Dead game and enjoy to kill every zombies... rolling eyes

Back