Do u think the phonics program is good q

• YES!

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
u might not care about the phonice system, but u should understand abt 90 percent of the kids have the words spelling grammar for example, rookie =rokie, some of the worse spelling are the long ones. government, they spell it govermint. cuz they hear the i and not the N cuz it's silent. while we read them and see the words with visions.

Originally posted by ~Heather~
Who hell cares? :mad2: You know what, my English teacher (at college) told me that lot of deaf people have trouble with A and THE and explained to me why. Its because DEAF people dont hear sentences EVERYDAY from thier EAR like hearing people do. Also told me that EVERYONE always have ERROR grammar -- NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Anyway, I dont know about PHONICS PROGRAM. I agree with Fly Free & Javapride.

:o

I was profoundly Deaf when I mainstreamed and I still managed to have good english comprehension skills. It is the innate abilites you achieve to learn, it's also other ways to learn skills and you're right, Heather. No one is perfect! ;)

Originally posted by ~Heather~
Who hell cares? :mad2: You know what, my English teacher (at college) told me that lot of deaf people have trouble with A and THE and explained to me why. Its because DEAF people dont hear sentences EVERYDAY from thier EAR like hearing people do. Also told me that EVERYONE always have ERROR grammar -- NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Anyway, I dont know about PHONICS PROGRAM. I agree with Fly Free & Javapride.

:o

yes i agree that everybody would have some errors grammatically -- even ive made a mistake here in this thread LOL :laugh2:

i don t think we're perfect in the grammar aspect, i do belive we all make mistakes and learn about things. and when someone corrects us, that helps! Learning is an everyday life and it's ongoing!

oh dear lord! what's the world coming to when people start listening to Liza?

:laugh2: bbnt... kinda signals you to the idea that you DON'T rule the world? :cool:

I'm impressed! Everyone here has been very thoughtful about this subject.... except bbnt! :twisted:

Javapride I noticed that you are in Hawaii. Did you live there all of your life? *wondering if I know you* because I have lived there for years, too. How I ended up in Norway.. loooong story! :laugh2: :laugh2: cute signature about taro... hehe I miss poi, actually.

Originally posted by Liza
:laugh2: bbnt... kinda signals you to the idea that you DON'T rule the world? :cool:

I'm impressed! Everyone here has been very thoughtful about this subject.... except bbnt! :twisted:

Javapride I noticed that you are in Hawaii. Did you live there all of your life? *wondering if I know you* because I have lived there for years, too. How I ended up in Norway.. loooong story! :laugh2: :laugh2: cute signature about taro... hehe I miss poi, actually.

I sent this to someone I thought would have a good opinion on the subject. I will post it as soon as I get it

Javapride I noticed that you are in Hawaii. Did you live there all of your life? *wondering if I know you* because I have lived there for years, too. How I ended up in Norway.. loooong story! cute signature about taro... hehe I miss poi, actually. ( from liza)

I recently moved here, and i been reading about the spirts of aloha inspriation book which got me to putting it in the site :) I wished we knew each other haha .... PM me if u can, im curious about the hawaii deaf locations here! thanks :)

I would be glad to, Java! Hey what island are you living on now? PM coming your way...

*ahem* I believe somebody mentioned something about a book. LOL Sorry for getting off topic here.

I once read an article about the "floating standard" which plays a huge role in the dumbing down process of students. Teachers just don't wanna deal with any problem student, and just pass 'em... barely... hoping the next teacher will know how to take care of it, but it goes on and on.....

Originally posted by funnybebe78
:eek: I don't know lol otherwise stephy good thread so keep up bein a POSTWHORE :laugh2: :D

LMAO NICE wording for postwhore LMAO! LMAO! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Originally posted by Liza
I would be glad to, Java! Hey what island are you living on now? PM coming your way...

*ahem* I believe somebody mentioned something about a book. LOL Sorry for getting off topic here.

I once read an article about the "floating standard" which plays a huge role in the dumbing down process of students. Teachers just don't wanna deal with any problem student, and just pass 'em... barely... hoping the next teacher will know how to take care of it, but it goes on and on.....

That is exactly what teachers and administrators do. They do not want to make their school look "bad" with a high failing rate, so they prefer to just loosen things and pass students.

The program might be okay for hearing people but I don't think it is for deaf people. They rely on visible and hand cues unlike hearing people who rely on sound cues alone. I think that anyone can improve without the program. It's just a matter of how they teach it. It should be blamed on the teachers...

Originally posted by Fly Free
same here ChelEler -- i know Deaf children are taught reading with READING/SPELLING as an emphasis so theyre more understanding of the English language and syntax/structures as well as for spelling -- ive seen the hearing kids being immersed in the phonics program and see it fail miserably and i just simply dont understand WHY the county wont drop the program and put more emphasis on reading and spelling practices :dunno:

kuifje75 has also brought up the speech classes for the deaf children which IMO has varied results so i :dunno: the true statistics to the success rate of deaf kids with TRUE good speech skills -- ive heard of how some ppl just flatly REFUSES to talk again all cuz of their speech teachers always telling them how well they say words and all that then they go in the general public and when trying to communicate with other hearies they just simply DONT understand what theyre trying to say so they tell me the best way is just have pen and paper ready on hand or use gestures -- ahh this would become 2 different issues on this thread LOL:dunno:

Werd. I gave up communicating with hearing people because I knew it does not always work well for me to communicate with hearing people orally. It is difficult for the Deaf children to practice their speech and it is a waste of their times and efforts. I consider that exposuring Deaf kids into educational aspects, especially, ENGLISH grammar, structures, syntax, and the like everyday until they become fluent in writing in "hearing" English. Of course, remember this, depends on individual's own English style. I don't care if I talk lousy. English is more important than speech practice!! KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!

Back