KristinaB's Garage Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
... If that happens, we will most likely back out of this, get what money back that we can, do what we can with the doors and tile we have and then use the money and possibly move to Central Florida with MIL's approval. It was her suggestion....
I hope that it doesn't come to that.

Would your MIL be moving with you?

Oh brother. That just can't be right. You are not adding a new bathroom or anything else that uses water, so how could you need a larger septic system?

When we built our house the septic requirements were based on a combinationof how many bedrooms and how many bathrooms we had. They figured two people per bedroom.

Since the space you are adding is not even an additional bedroom, how could that change septic requirements??

I hope your contractor does a good job of fighting for you. That just sounds so wrong, what they are telling you.

I think they are trying every little thing they can to stretch this out. Once we hit April 1st I think, or maybe it's May 1st, the building codes change and then we will have to have EVERYTHING redone again to be in code compliance before we start. This Town Hall is all about getting more money. Property taxes in this Town are higher than in other areas near us. The only place above us in property taxes within 15 square miles in the Island of Palm Beach.

this sucks. might be cheaper to move now. :(

What a bummer!...just don't know what to say but it does actually seem like they are giving you a very hard time...Believe you've got more patience than I about things like this, it's very tedious, nerve wracking...I would have exploded a long time ago....but all in all...nothing is worth having if it's not worth waiting for.....then again, sometimes we have to cut our losses and get out.....Hope something turns up good very soon for your family, Kristina.

Hubby has already found something else if we move. It will be to Lake Wales, FL. It will be a mobile home, but the area does not have a lot of major weather issues.

Biggest issue if we do move there: mother has some exceptionally wonderful doctors for her liver issues and such and she would hate to have to change. I will also have a slightly smaller Deaf community. I know of a Deaf Coffee in Clermont, but not much else, but my old high school friends and childhood friends tell me there is more than I know about there. Daughter is not happy, but understands.

What a roller coaster we have been on here. :dizzy:

Well - contractor and the General contractor both went to the Town Hall this morning when it opened. They were there for 3 hours getting all their answers and everything. We are approved!!! I have now sent the final change request for the survey with measurements for the "playroom". Contractor and general contractor are now meeting with architect to get new and final building plans for this. We are hoping to have everything done and ready to turn in on Wednesday this week. If not, it will be Monday next week.

Well - contractor and the General contractor both went to the Town Hall this morning when it opened. They were there for 3 hours getting all their answers and everything. We are approved!!! I have now sent the final change request for the survey with measurements for the "playroom". Contractor and general contractor are now meeting with architect to get new and final building plans for this. We are hoping to have everything done and ready to turn in on Wednesday this week. If not, it will be Monday next week.

What happened to Thursday and Friday?

Good Luck which ever it turns out to be. I was so surprised at some of the things they started earlier without having all final permits in hand.

Still not quite understanding your use of "General Contractor" and "Contractor". From my days as a bookkeeper in the construction industry in Illinois I think in terms of the General Contractor (contract with owner the building is being built for) with overall responsibility and then Sub-contractors (plumber, electrician, painter, etc.) hired by the General Contractor with responsibility for certain parts that the General Contractor does not have his/her own crew for.

I'm so glad to hear this. WHAT an emotional roller coaster for you!!

Good news! What happened with the septic issue?

Turns out that the Town Council did not know how to read. The contractor had to teach them how to read a stupid 3 columns of numbers. :laugh2:

What happened to Thursday and Friday?

Good Luck which ever it turns out to be. I was so surprised at some of the things they started earlier without having all final permits in hand.

Still not quite understanding your use of "General Contractor" and "Contractor". From my days as a bookkeeper in the construction industry in Illinois I think in terms of the General Contractor (contract with owner the building is being built for) with overall responsibility and then Sub-contractors (plumber, electrician, painter, etc.) hired by the General Contractor with responsibility for certain parts that the General Contractor does not have his/her own crew for.

The inspector is not in on Thursday and Friday and he is the one to make the decision on the final plans and issue the permit, it seems.

Now, the difference on these contractors:

Contractor can do "owner builds" and such like that. He has a license and does most of the work.

General Contractor has a higher degree of licensing and has more training and schooling behind him.

I know that TXGolfer can giver a better understanding.

We will have, if I am right, 3 subcontractors outside of the septic guy. That's A/C, Electrical, and plumbing. The contractor does all of the building, painting, tile work and such.

I still don't understand why our ancestors fought for freedom 250 years ago to turn this country into United States. They fought hard to get freedom from government regulations. Now we are back to square one. You own land, right? and sadly government don't give damn whether you own it or not and you still pay property taxes.

If I were you, I would up them and move out. I don't see much value in this renovation. Sorry I didn't read whole thread but from what I see some. Too much headache!

We Got the Permit!!!!!!​
Construction will be starting Monday, 4/9.

YA-HOOOOOOOO!!!....so you better get to rockin' and get ur hat off the rack!!.....get the boogie-woogie, Kristina!

YA-HOOOOOOOO!!!....so you better get to rockin' and get ur hat off the rack!!.....get the boogie-woogie, Kristina!

I thought about telling her not to hurt herself doing the happy dance. :)

I hope the hardest part of this project is over and the rest is smooth sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back