I'm curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
overthepond, it's not nessarily arguments about CIs...more like stuff related to CIs if that makes any sense. CIs have been pretty much accepted. It's just that some people are extremely hypersensative about any suggestion that CIs aren't THE MOST AMAZING THING in the world out there. It's pretty much a fact that CIs give varying hearing results from severely hoh to mildly hoh. (and in the real world that functioning can vary hugely)
But yes, sometimes it gets annoying. On the other hand you prolly got the same thing back when hearing aids first became popular.
Maybe "feel part of"? "feel comfortable with"? Sorry, I have trouble coming up with the right words for lots of my thoughts/feelings.
Then again our frame of reference about being dhh is different from yours.
Most of us here have always been dhh. It's just something about us like the fact that we have blue eyes or like cats or whatever. That is different from someone who became dhh after being a young adult or even postlingally. For us being dhh is SO MUCH MORE then the Latest Hearing Aid/CI or How to Read An Audiogram. Yes, we may like to hear (and there are a ton of folks on the forum who use hearing aids/CIs and LOVE them)
And thank you jillo. I got banned from the HLAA forums for saying that the reason why there weren't a lot of young HLAA members is b/c their approach was too dull. Yes, it's good and all for people who simply view their hearing loss as a medical thing. HLAA's approach is pretty much identical to a kidney disease support group or a sight loss due to aging support group or any other purely medical support group.

overthepond, it's not nessarily arguments about CIs...more like stuff related to CIs if that makes any sense. CIs have been pretty much accepted. It's just that some people are extremely hypersensative about any suggestion that CIs aren't THE MOST AMAZING THING in the world out there. It's pretty much a fact that CIs give varying hearing results from severely hoh to mildly hoh. (and in the real world that functioning can vary hugely)

I get what your saying totally. And I do agree. But what about those who do Quite well with their device and are simply told that it cant be? or that we are exaggerating the truth? When in reality it is " The most amazing thing" in our eyes? That is where I believe that things get a tad out of hand here and cause some of us to become quite sensitive. Especially when those who make such claims never experienced what it is actually like to have these device's. DD please do not view my statement as an attack on anyone here. I just simply feel that those of us with a CI should be allowed to discuss our devices without people jumping in with no first hand experience and saying NO NO NO.. I was viewing the discussion about SEE and whether it is an actual language or not. I did not chime in and state an OPINION when I have never used SEE. Thats what really bother's us CI user's here.

I'm here to stop audism. Not forcing the population away.

Me, as well. Not the same thing at all. I would love for them to stick around long enough, and open their minds enough that they change the coverly audist attitudes we keep seeing.

Going with with DD and Deaffy said...

Yeah, it isn't the CI itself that causes so much dissension but all the side stuff in terms of the reality of a CI.

I really hate it when the dingbats that jump in and nay say something they never experienced personally in their lives. It kinds of ruins the day so to speak.

There are those of us with a CI that come very close to the reality of the hearing world day in and day out. We need to celebrate those who achieve that while at the same time understand that not all are able or capable of achieving that kind of reality. I find very few that have done that and it makes me more sympathetic and understanding of the difficulties and frustrations of a CI of those that can't. In other words, I'm not here to judge but to listen and offer constructive advice.

If more people would discuss these things more intelligently and less emotionally, there would much useful info for all folks. Instead, it often degenerates into a blistering flamewar at times. When that happens, I'm nowhere to be found and besides I got a life to live.

But what about those who do Quite well with their device and are simply told that it cant be? or that we are exaggerating the truth? When in reality it is " The most amazing thing" in our eyes? That is where I believe that things get a tad out of hand here and cause some of us to become quite sensitive. Especially when those who make such claims never experienced what it is actually like to have these device's. DD please do not view my statement as an attack on anyone here. I just simply feel that those of us with a CI should be allowed to discuss our devices without people jumping in with no first hand experience and saying NO NO NO..
Deaffy, I think you're missing that virtually all of the discussion about CIs has been about how deaf kids respond to implantation.
I think too that people here reconize that CIs can be freaking AMAZING for many people. But, at the same time response to CIs has been akin to response to hearing aids. Some people are "almost hearing" some people are functionally hoh (and all along the spectrum) and some people can only get enviromental sounds.

Deaffy, I think you're missing that virtually all of the discussion about CIs has been about how deaf kids respond to implantation.
I think too that people here reconize that CIs can be freaking AMAZING for many people. But, at the same time response to CIs has been akin to response to hearing aids. Some people are "almost hearing" some people are functionally hoh (and all along the spectrum) and some people can only get enviromental sounds.

But what I don't get DD is when a parent comes here and give's their story on their child's progression ( and its really good progress) that they are berated for implanting their child. I totally understand that many many people on here are completely ok with being Deaf, That is quite commendable. And that these same parent's are told that it is impossible for their child to achieve that kind of progress when there are some children who cannot. True not every child, adult will receive the eptiome of success from a CI. But let's not discount those who do. I have read and seen post's like that on here. The CI is a choice. NO one is ever FORCED to get one.. So why is there Forcing on here to make parent's feel bad for their decision? thats what I dislike here..

I'm currently in the HOH phase with HAs. I belong in the Deaf community here and in real life. I couldn't have adjusted so well without the help of the Deaf community. The late-deafened thread has been very helpful to me. I'm content here. I have a limited amount of time so I don't venture onto new sites unless they really interest me (i.e., pertain to my obsessions).

Deaffy, I don't see that happening here. People generally disagree only when parents say that CIs make a kid hearing or otherwise imply that CIs are a cure.

Sallylou,

I would be glad to direct you to a thread where there was just this kind of acting out against a parent on here that was describing her success with her child's CI. and was told. ( waite 5 years then come back to me) that is just unbelievable to have that sort of talk going on.. Especially about a child. Shouldn't we all be hopefull that in 5 years time that child makes leaps and bound's in their success with a device that they have? regardless if it's a CI or a HA or anything at all.. IT's a child we are talking about. I get the fact that many here were children at some point in time and never had any access to hearing. But the child in question does. Why would there be any negativity towards any child in that aspect?

If you're referring to a certain audist troll, I use the ignore function for those people.

Deaffy, I don't see that happening here. People generally disagree only when parents say that CIs make a kid hearing or otherwise imply that CIs are a cure.

Actually, the biggest disagreement is implanting a child. Especially, if the parent doesn't use the full "toolbox" approach. Even if they use the full "toolbox" approach, there are still issues.

I seen the biggest, ugliest flamewars from this aspect time and time again.

I am sorry Sally, I wont put a label upon anyone in here. I understand that I did make some bad remarks to another poster who I disagree with on here that I really wish I had never said. But in the heat of the moment sometime's things are said and the damage is already done. The person I am talking about is a Parent with a deaf child with a CI

I am sorry Sally, I wont put a label upon anyone in here. I understand that I did make some bad remarks to another poster who I disagree with on here that I really wish I had never said. But in the heat of the moment sometime's things are said and the damage is already done. The person I am talking about is a Parent with a deaf child with a CI

You shouldn't be apologetic. You are one of the good guys. Very even tempered.

Deaffy, I try to be as supportive as I can to everyone on this forum. It's difficult when some people use tired stereotypes about deaf people or rag on the Deaf community. Like you, I lose my patience sometimes. Besides, the arguments become tedious, boring and predictable after a while. That's when I take a break.

:ty: That is it in its entirety. Shame there are still a few that don't get it. Therefore, the arguments continue...about something that doesn't even exist.

:ty: That is it in its entirety. Shame there are still a few that don't get it. Therefore, the arguments continue...about something that doesn't even exist.

:dunno2: What thread your reading.. is it this one or the one in SEE.. The personal attacks never stop.. And to think I thought you were here to stop " audism" Seem's to me you are here to stop anyone who use's a different style in raising their child than you. It sure ring's loud and clear.

:dunno2: What thread your reading.. is it this one or the one in SEE.. The personal attacks never stop.. And to think I thought you were here to stop " audism" Seem's to me you are here to stop anyone who use's a different style in raising their child than you. It sure ring's loud and clear.

What personal attacks are you referring to??

Would seem telling a poster... " NO one likes you .. why do you insist on comming somewhere that you are disliked.. Why don't you leave"..... Hmm. I may not have any advice on the topic that was at hand in that thread but that was certaintly a personal attack on a poster's ( perceived status from the general public of the site).. That show's quite a bit of maturity of a "therapist with 2 degrees."

It's this one. And the only personal attacks I see happening are those that you, and a few others, feel such a strong need to make. **shrug**

You really need to understand the difference between a differing opinion about a thing and a personal attack. You don't appear to be able to separate the two.

It's this one. And the only personal attacks I see happening are those that you, and a few others, feel such a strong need to make. **shrug**

You really need to understand the difference between a differing opinion about a thing and a personal attack. You don't appear to be able to separate the two.

K Where there is smoke.. there is fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back