Hey Guys! :) Help!

Kit.Zugzwang

Reaction score
Hello there, my name is Kit. I'm 23, a medical science student, bilingual, and deaf in one ear from a perforated ear drum. I speak English and Spanish, and I can scrape by with ASL because I used to have a deaf coworker and I have a borderline obsession with learning new languages. I am now fully committing to learn ASL, I'm a rapid-fire fast learner and have a very good reason to be this determined, seeing as it's not only myself that's HOH.
My mom is HOH (deaf in one ear and and will soon be fully deaf in the other-also she's my best friend) and I think she should learn to sign instead of just relying on lip-reading and a ~magical hearing aid~. Of course, her answer?
"You first."
What do you guys think? Should I press her to learn to sign? It's just such a beautiful way to communicate to me. Opinions greatly appreciated.

welcoem to allDeaf

if shes hostile or whatever. rather then the idea of pressing her. the better option is to learn it and have her particiapte even in a non formal way by using signs with her. she can and will pick up

great your learning sign

Hi! Thanks for replying!
She's not hostile, more like she's challenging me. Haha I guess I just want her (and my son, even though he's hearing) to know the gorgeous language that is ASL.
Plus, on a selfish note, I've been translating what people say in Spanish to my family for YEARS and it gets kind of tiring. That sounds horrible. Egh
Thanks again!

a good way is to learn and use it with your family. the best way really. so every day learn a sign with them a sign that will be used and soonenogh by using it daily you will gain the fluency you wish.

keep using it..and it will come

my mother is hearing and she learned a little bit of sign for me which she now find 100% useful at work and has brought her and I a little closer.

Back