Would You Tell?

I put a bold statement that you made. The problem with affairs is the husband or the wife jumps into the relationship because he/she are not happy or going into mid-crisis (getting old) with his/her current marriage and trying to find a way to solve the relationship with their own spouse. Most often you will find that husband or wife don't even think about telling their spouse that he/she want to end the marriage or get a divorced. Very few of them do go through the divorce, but almost all of them do want to stay in the marriage, during the affairs or after the affairs, for I don't know why. That is what puzzle me why they want to go into affairs, if there is a problem with the marriage or what? :roll:

This is a hot topic in some psych and sociology classes regarding marriages ..
I remember some of the discussions from the past.
The reasons can be various, everyone is different and we can not see their desires nor is one case the same for everyone else.

The reason why they stay in the marriage has to do with feelings of guilt, denial, realizing they may be losing something better for something less. I remember reading a study found that some women fantasized about getting 'raped' by imaginary men they don't know but when questioned about it, they would not do it in reality.
An affair or new partner is what I think is the representation of this "new feeling" or experience.
Some would not follow through affairs because they want to marry the new person, but because they wanted to experience the unknown desires. Enjoy their personal wants rather than keeping marriage vows. This doesn't represent everyone, just a reason why they would do this from my understanding.

When my friend found out about her husband's affair AFTER he begged her to work the marriage out, she asked him "Why come back to me?" He said he wanted to experiment. To me that tells me that he wasnt as secure with the affair and wanted to see how it went and if it was worth leaving his wife for.

If this is his first marriage, then that might be what he is curious about experiment on his new found affair with a woman that caught his attention. When he experiment on the affair, so that might mean he is not grown up like a man and take responsible for his behavior. Very immature. That is terrible. Of course, there will always be second or third marriages, if the spouse want to be involved in the affairs for reasons. Very devious and probably liar to get what he want to get away with it. For me, I don't know and I am just guessing. :dunno:

If this is his first marriage, then that might be what he is curious about experiment on his new found affair with a woman that caught his attention. When he experiment on the affair, so that might mean he is not grown up like a man and take responsible for his behavior. Very immature. That is terrible. Of course, there will always be second or third marriages, if the spouse want to be involved in the affairs for reasons. Very devious and probably liar to get what he want to get away with it. For me, I don't know and I am just guessing. :dunno:

Yes, it is his first marriage but not his first affair. As far as his wife knew...this is his 3rd affair in their 13 year marriage.

Yes, it is his first marriage but not his first affair. As far as his wife knew...this is his 3rd affair in their 13 year marriage.

She is really accepting of him if that's the case.
That guy should seek some professional help if he is feeling like he can't keep the commitment to a marriage.

She is really accepting of him if that's the case.
That guy should seek some professional help if he is feeling like he can't keep the commitment to a marriage.

I think my friend needs to seek professional help as well if she is accepting this behavior but I cant tell her what she should and shouldnt do. Just offer a shoulder to cry on but after 8 years, my shoulder is getting pretty sore now.

Oh, boy, what a mess! They should have divorced a long time ago after the second affair. That is not funny to mess around behind his wife's back, even if she knew about numerous affairs. Both of them need professional help, only go to separate direction to different professional counselor or psychologist. Jeepers, what is going on with him, if he want to experiment? He is telling her lies so that he can have candy anytime he feel like it. :roll:

Naisho, you are absolutely right that he can not commit or does not want to commit to the marriage. He should have stay single and he can jump from one woman to another woman. He should be call "Womanizer" which mean he can not keep his pants on. :(

Oh, boy, what a mess! They should have divorced a long time ago after the second affair. That is not funny to mess around behind his wife's back, even if she knew about numerous affairs. Both of them need professional help, only go to separate direction to different professional counselor or psychologist. Jeepers, what is going on with him, if he want to experiment? He is telling her lies so that he can have candy anytime he feel like it. :roll:

Last week, my husband yelled at my friend when she was crying about her husband's affair. He was yelling at her to LEAVE HIS SORRY ASS! Also, yelling at her why she is staying with him after all those years of affairs. I told my hubby that it wasnt his place to do that because she has to find the strength to leave him and yelling at her wouldnt help at all. I am sooo hard trying to stay out of this current drama but my brother, her brother, and my husband are starting to get invovled and the woman is a coworker of mine.

People are starting to find out and asking me about it and I keep tellig them that it is not my place to judge and to ask my friend not me.

I dont need this drama as I already have drama with my ex hubby and the custody case regarding my daughter. All I will do is to be there for my friend for venting but wont judge nor go around telling people what they should do or shouldnt do.

Last week, my husband yelled at my friend when she was crying about her husband's affair. He was yelling at her to LEAVE HIS SORRY ASS! Also, yelling at her why she is staying with him after all those years of affairs. I told my hubby that it wasnt his place to do that because she has to find the strength to leave him and yelling at her wouldnt help at all. I am sooo hard trying to stay out of this current drama but my brother, her brother, and my husband are starting to get invovled and the woman is a coworker of mine.

People are starting to find out and asking me about it and I keep tellig them that it is not my place to judge and to ask my friend not me.

I dont need this drama as I already have drama with my ex hubby and the custody case regarding my daughter. All I will do is to be there for my friend for venting but wont judge nor go around telling people what they should do or shouldnt do.

Yes, yelling at her and belittling her is not the way to go. She obviously has low self-esteem (why else would she stay with someone who cheated on her 3 times?) and yelling at her is just going to make her feel worse and push her away from all of you. But I do think it's good that others are getting involved. Obviously she would not do what needs to be done on her own. It's just the way that the matter is approached that is important.

:Oops: You are absolutely right. Sorry for getting myself into the rant. :whistle: It is not my position to do that with you or your friend. Yes, I can see that what you are saying. It sure is a lot of drama and that is too much to handle for you trying to help your friend after 8 years. I am sorry, Shel90. :hug: :sadwave:

okay, I cannot comb through and each response when people don't read my posts carefully so I'll answer some points simple and short.

I would be worried in case M really lost it and killed R. I wouldn't want to be the one who set that in motion.
oh no, no. it saddens me you would think of M like that after I've said good things about him. I would say M is Oprah's or Obama's brother. now, can you imagine of her or him (obama) doing that too? all I know by my heart he will not hurt an ant. or have ever raised voice at kids. I in the world have no idea how he'd manage that.

I never said that, and I never even thought that, never. If you believe that R lies to everyone else except you, then that's up to you. If you truly believe that telling M is the best thing for him, you are welcome to go for it. Just don't be surprised if that's the end of his friendship with you. I hope everything works out for all concerned.
thank you. I said that for you to see the way how I see your posts when you judge. hissss. if that seemed silly to you, then it was to me too. you also haven't answered my question. you don't have to, really.

re: surprise - I very well know by my heart he won't end friendship because I care, that's one pro thing out all of these. yet again, won't be surprised if he ended this friendship for knowing this secret all along but loves R so much being blind? that or that..

Since then, I have always stayed out of other people's relationships.
if I had someone telling me, I'd be atleast thankful knowing sooner, 1 - 2 mistakes rather than 8 - 10 mistakes. the sooner, less hurt so the less, the more compassion to work things out. I'd react really nasty if I found out 7 years later but gently if I found out 7 days later. just that I'm thinking, if I were in M & R's situation, I would appreciate someone warning me (if hubby can't tell me himself), I would not kill someone and I would get ourselves or hubby some help before it's too late for either one of us.

Last week, my husband yelled at my friend when she was crying about her husband's affair. He was yelling at her to LEAVE HIS SORRY ASS! Also, yelling at her why she is staying with him after all those years of affairs. I told my hubby that it wasnt his place to do that because she has to find the strength to leave him and yelling at her wouldn't help at all.
and that, if I had someone yelling at me, it could help me a bit realizing people care...and who knows, a wake-up call? sometimes a push can give you a big strength ... have you heard of a fable, starfish story? one of my favorite fables. I giggled one time out of ashame when one person said to me, "geez, PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER WOMAN!!" :giggle: to this day, I still giggle and am always grateful for this person. some people just don't care. the bottom line, you can't say all people are same. but I can understand the experiences you've had, "enough is enough." just saying.

apparently you guys have forgotten this was an accident. she got too drunk, wasn't planning or hinting this guy (she's not a flirt-type and have neutral fun because, duh, she has hubby and 4 kids). then next day she knew it was too late. if it were me, I WOULD tell my hubby immediately as there's nothing to be afraid of accident. fair for him. for me, benefits? you'll know more true colors of this person when you tell a 'secret' and if he reacts really bad at something you didn't really mean to, you'll know it's a red flag .... save yourself with honesty!! it always does.

in R's perspective: why tell if it was an accident? (meaning it won't happen again? we can't say.)

people do the strangest thing when it come to situation like this. it really does make a relationship ugly. M may be a nice man, but you don't know for sure behind closed doors. Especially if he devoted his life for her and this is what he get in return. He could get really angry. Only She knows what he is like. Just tell her to be honest with her husband and ask her to tell him about the affair because he probably will find out sooner or later by someone else and leave it to that.

and lastly, I wholeheartedly agree with everything thewritealex said.... unfortunately, there should be justice on the face of this earth. THINK as if you were in this situation, in M's place.

A, no, he will not. period. end of discussion. you just haven't met him yet. sorry if 'former cop' make you think that way. not all are bad.

I will be seeing R and kids this weekend at the park, perfect place! and hopefully, a good day for us (if any way I can encourage her to be honest, to not be afraid, the postion she put me in, etc)...we shall see.

I wasn't thinking about "cop" at all. Just people in general. Some do get abusive.

thank you. I said that for you to see the way how I see your posts when you judge. hissss. if that seemed silly to you, then it was to me too. you also haven't answered my question. you don't have to, really.
Judge? I thought you requested our advice?

I searched back to find any unanswered questions. Is this it?
"if she can, then she can," .. to tell her hubby this someday because she told me.. hey, that's a hope! you really shouldn't call that a lie yet.. what if R finally tells? some people need some time. or, do you disagree with that?"
Adultery involves cheating and lying, and playing "deaf" to get benefits is lying and cheating. Your friend lies and cheats. I would watch my back around such a person.

Your friend has had "time." The longer she waits to come clean with her husband, the harder it will be. But that's up to her and she's not asking our advice.

re: surprise - I very well know by my heart he won't end friendship because I care, that's one pro thing out all of these. yet again, won't be surprised if he ended this friendship for knowing this secret all along but loves R so much being blind? that or that..
Well, if you know everything already you don't need any advice. :)

...apparently you guys have forgotten this was an accident. she got too drunk, wasn't planning or hinting this guy (she's not a flirt-type and have neutral fun because, duh, she has hubby and 4 kids). then next day she knew it was too late. if it were me, I WOULD tell my hubby immediately as there's nothing to be afraid of accident. fair for him. for me, benefits? you'll know more true colors of this person when you tell a 'secret' and if he reacts really bad at something you didn't really mean to, you'll know it's a red flag .... save yourself with honesty!! it always does.

in R's perspective: why tell if it was an accident? (meaning it won't happen again? we can't say.)
I guess we have different definitions of what an "accident" is.

Judge? I thought you requested our advice?
emphasizing thousand of times that she lied to me about abortion which I've repeated she had an abortion isn't an advice. what if I saw a documentation and asked for an advice? you pushed it going other way, created new unnecessary perspective than what advice I requested; not very helpful.

her lying about "deaf," in the state of her mental level, she thinks it's funny, but not as big deal as this. meaning she thinks it's okay, as long she does no harm and not realizing it's an insult to some of us. more of carefree. opposite from evil. so we can't really go against that.

Well, if you know everything already you don't need any advice. :)
everything? uhh...this situation isn't to a consequence yet. M isn't "everything," or is R, is he?

different definitions? you crack me up reba, of how you stir up the facts into standard. for instance, see above. THAT is judging. judge. judgement. whatever. :lol:

any way, please do tell me your definition of accident getting pregnant.

Back