Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

Mre4339 said:
Diehardbiker,

I completely disagree with you 100 percent about once getting CI, you are off from SSA, SSI and SSD for life. No, no, no, no!!!! :nono:

CI only helps you to clarify in hearing loss does not mean to make you a hearing person. I got them three times and guess what I am still on government benefits even health benefits. Got two Advanced Bionics Hi Resolution and 90k. They both failed on me. This time I got nucleus freedom, it is working well so far.

I am almost done with achieving my degree. My internship experience was great and am ready to start my real career and life as soon as I graduate. The CI did not help me through this college to achieve my degree. It was all me, my work, my commitment in school work and myself staying on the right path.

I would check with your attourney again. What you said about the CI and government benefits are not true. The unemployment rates are true because they are lazy that is the problem. I have met all of them and they do not want to proceed to achieve their goals. Might be parents fault for not pushing them through school and commitments in life? They rather stay home 24 hours a day and party on drugs. :shock: That is what is like where I live in. It was sad for them as I am moving up and out of here.

I myself am 100 percent deaf. With the CI, it helps with the communication better. My depression will be in my life forever no matter what. This is all me that I have to control my depression, goals, and my life.

I hope this clears up?
:angel:
Amen~

If CIers want to stay on ssi/ssdi, there is always a reason for it. I have no problem with Ciers,or other human being being on ssi/ssdi since it's there own choice and their own life.... It's not hard to understand and quit questioning yourself.. Worry about yours and everyone will get on with their own life and will live their own life how THEY want to. Some humans doesn't have a problem being on SSI/SSDI.. It's always for a reason........

That is correct, really what I was trying to point out is that it is unwise to assume that CI cures everything. SSA would continue if CI didn't improve much, nor enough with hearing ITSELF! not speech. In other word if you can hear perfect clearly but can't understand words you hear, nor speak clearly then SSA will cut you off! But if a person gets CI and was able to hear better and improve speech and understand whats heard then should be okay without SSA, because hearing people would be willing to offer a position more than those who can't speak.

Cassbugs said:
If CIers want to stay on ssi/ssdi, there is always a reason for it. I have no problem with Ciers,or other human being being on ssi/ssdi since it's there own choice and their own life.... It's not hard to understand and quit questioning yourself.. Worry about yours and everyone will get on with their own life and will live their own life how THEY want to. Some humans doesn't have a problem being on SSI/SSDI.. It's always for a reason........

diehardbiker65 said:
That is correct, really what I was trying to point out is that it is unwise to assume that CI cures everything. SSA would continue if CI didn't improve much, nor enough with hearing ITSELF! not speech. In other word if you can hear perfect clearly but can't understand words you hear, nor speak clearly then SSA will cut you off! But if a person gets CI and was able to hear better and improve speech and understand whats heard then should be okay without SSA, because hearing people would be willing to offer a position more than those who can't speak.
exactly diehardbiker65, I totally agree with you 110%!!!!! I just don't understand why people assume that CIers can get a job blah blah.... I don't agree with them at all to be honest with you...

I can talk perfectly good to the point that people understand me good and I depend on lips (lip reading) What my point is Im 110%deaf can't hear worth crap and if I was going to get my Cochlear Implant which is next year hopfully, it does't mean Im going to drop my ssi and go busting my ass working.... No it's now how it goes.. People assume that all of us can do it. No it's not true because what you said was true...

Like what I said while back EVERYONE has a REASON!!!!!!!!

they are full of it

I must admit you that I really perfer working than depend on ssi/ ssdi. Because I like to go work that keep me busy and kill my bordom times. Plus I like to receive paycheck on my payday and tax refund on every years!! :naughty:

I notice deaf people don't want to go work of list:

Fast food

Caregiver

NewPaper delivery

Car wash

on and on...

I knew there are deaf people can get a job, but deaf peoples always give us good excuses such as some people says that I dont want to go to work because Child support would smell their money from work. So deaf people rather using on ssi for nothing worry..

Census reports shows opposite! BTW, there was a case in El-Paseo Texas where deaf man was never granted pay raises, promoted for 20 years. Finally he got the courage to sue his employer. Guess what? He won! Yet his employer denied any wrongdoing. How dare his employer denied any wrongdoing while his co-worker gets 4 times more pay than this deaf employee? Is this the only case? I really DOUBT IT!!! There is plenty of cases where employer generally surpressed on people with disability. I have been though and didn't get any pay raise, nor any promotion for almost 4 years! This really pissed me off BIG time! Just think about this, the enoromous amount of abuses from hearing people on deafies is really hard on deafies. Isn't it time for a major change? E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N!!!!

You said excuses? True business many employers find excuses for NOT hiring people with disability Like oh there is risk of accident, injury, oh because this person cant talk we don't want waste our time, and so forth!!! You may not realize how many times employers find excuses for not hiring them.

XBGMER said:
I must admit you that I really perfer working than depend on ssi/ ssdi. Because I like to go work that keep me busy and kill my bordom times. Plus I like to receive paycheck on my payday and tax refund on every years!! :naughty:

I notice deaf people don't want to go work of list:

Fast food

Caregiver

NewPaper delivery

Car wash

on and on...

I knew there are deaf people can get a job, but deaf peoples always give us good excuses such as some people says that I dont want to go to work because Child support would smell their money from work. So deaf people rather using on ssi for nothing worry..

diehardbiker65 said:
Census reports shows opposite! BTW, there was a case in El-Paseo Texas where deaf man was never granted pay raises, promoted for 20 years. Finally he got the courage to sue his employer. Guess what? He won! Yet his employer denied any wrongdoing. How dare his employer denied any wrongdoing while his co-worker gets 4 times more pay than this deaf employee? Is this the only case? I really DOUBT IT!!! There is plenty of cases where employer generally surpressed on people with disability. I have been though and didn't get any pay raise, nor any promotion for almost 4 years! This really pissed me off BIG time! Just think about this, the enoromous amount of abuses from hearing people on deafies is really hard on deafies. Isn't it time for a major change? E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N!!!!

You said excuses? True business many employers find excuses for NOT hiring people with disability Like oh there is risk of accident, injury, oh because this person cant talk we don't want waste our time, and so forth!!! You may not realize how many times employers find excuses for not hiring them.
DHB65, Yeah it is most important between hearing and deaf have share the EDUCATION eachothers!!! wow I can't believe that they rip his deaf employer off about work to earn $ hours as every day without rise $$ per hours. they want to profit $$$ more instead of his deaf employer's rise pay per hour on every year.. that's so SAD!

My point is why not he look for another job when he get new job and then leave his position.. that is so simply! but I am glad that he won the case over his boss. ;)

Not reason that employers find an excuse to not hiring them. if they wont hiring them to work. deaf people should keep hunt the position of job without give up till they open to hring for deaf people.

My point is Why not deaf people go to file the complaint or file suing the company who refuse to hiring them to work, because they are full disability. deaf people will tell you, saying " I CAN'T AFFORD TO HIRING THE LAWYER " because my money is not enough... is not that GOOD EXCUSE NOR GOOD REASON ABOUT THEIR MONEY'S FINANCE SITUATION? yeah right! Yawn.. excuse me.. anyway I better cut this right now, I have to go work in few mins.. I'll right back when I get home from work...

enjoy stay in forums.. :)

LadyDuke said:
For these of you who have a hard time finding a job or are on SSI/SSDI.....

Get a job at any fast-food restaurant, restaurant, supermarket, or retail store. They will be more than happy to hire you!

way to go .. smile

Social Security is for the Elderly and the Handicapped.Not for able body people who have good hearing plus 20-20 vision and can walk.

Sueing is not the answer. Whats worse, it would scare shit out of most employer and they would do different way of discrimination. I have known some people who actually sue and either won or lost failed to find decent job afterwards! Once you sue somebody, most employer would look up in legal history and if they find your name on it... they will see you as *LIABLITY* so forget you, period.

XBGMER said:
My point is Why not deaf people go to file the complaint or file suing the company who refuse to hiring them to work, because they are full disability. deaf people will tell you, saying " I CAN'T AFFORD TO HIRING THE LAWYER " because my money is not enough... is not that GOOD EXCUSE NOR GOOD REASON ABOUT THEIR MONEY'S FINANCE SITUATION? yeah right! Yawn.. excuse me.. anyway I better cut this right now, I have to go work in few mins.. I'll right back when I get home from work...

enjoy stay in forums.. :)

I was on SSI from when I graduated from HS through my college years. I needed the $ to help with my expenses but once I graduated and got a really good job, I didn't need SSI anymore. With my job, I make at least 6 times more than what my SSI gave me which is a whole lotta better.

It really gets on my nerves when I see some deaf or handicapped people just bumming and taking advantage of SSI. We're "paying" for them to do that because a small amount of $ is taken from our paychecks for Social Security. I just wish those loafers would get off their a$$e$ and get a job.

I know of a girl, who is a friend of my friend, she is only 18 years old and is pregnant with her 5th (yes 5th!!!!!) child. I asked her why she keeps on having babies? She said that she gets paid from SSI and welfare (over $1000 per kid) so she wants $5000 a month. Im like WTF!?!?! she's just having babies so she can get more money. She won't even WORK. This is really SAD!

SilverPanda said:
I was on SSI from when I graduated from HS through my college years. I needed the $ to help with my expenses but once I graduated and got a really good job, I didn't need SSI anymore. With my job, I make at least 6 times more than what my SSI gave me which is a whole lotta better.

It really gets on my nerves when I see some deaf or handicapped people just bumming and taking advantage of SSI. We're "paying" for them to do that because a small amount of $ is taken from our paychecks for Social Security. I just wish those loafers would get off their a$$e$ and get a job.

I know of a girl, who is a friend of my friend, she is only 18 years old and is pregnant with her 5th (yes 5th!!!!!) child. I asked her why she keeps on having babies? She said that she gets paid from SSI and welfare (over $1000 per kid) so she wants $5000 a month. Im like WTF!?!?! she's just having babies so she can get more money. This is really SAD!

About your friend.... Yes thats sad....... But there are some people who aren't like that and need ssi ssdi for a reason..... Im glad you got where you want to be but don't punish others since they are on ssi ssdi and there is always a reason for it.....
If you say that you wish that these people would get up from their asses and get a job, need to kinda watch what you say because maybe these people can't get up and work like most people do, read what Diehardbiker65 wrote and I wrote, stroll up, and I agree with DHB~

Maybe who know that our ssi may raise up $1000 or $5000 a month..... God knows? :dunno:

Cassbugs said:
About your friend.... Yes thats sad....... But there are some people who aren't like that and need ssi ssdi for a reason..... Im glad you got where you want to be but don't punish others since they are on ssi ssdi and there is always a reason for it.....
If you say that you wish that these people would get up from their asses and get a job, need to kinda watch what you say because maybe these people can't get up and work like most people do, read what Diehardbiker65 wrote and I wrote, stroll up, and I agree with DHB~

Maybe who know that our ssi may raise up $1000 or $5000 a month..... God knows? :dunno:

yeah you're right. my apologies to those who i may have offended. I was speaking of those who are fully capable of working but just don't want to work because they don't want to. They can walk, or they can do any kind of work but they chose to depend on SSI because it's money being given to them without any work. Those are the ones I'm complaining about. But for the others that need SSI/SSDI for a good reason, then I totally respect that.

SilverPanda said:
yeah you're right. my apologies to those who i may have offended. I was speaking of those who are fully capable of working but just don't want to work because they don't want to. They can walk, or they can do any kind of work but they chose to depend on SSI because it's money being given to them without any work. Those are the ones I'm complaining about. But for the others that need SSI/SSDI for a good reason, then I totally respect that.

No apologies to me, I was just making a statment.... But I do understand what your saying tho... Its all cool! :)

Sure, think about this. Having kids and single mother is the hardest you can image! It is next to impossible to hold a job. Deafies are no exception! Suppose you find a job, say ten dollars an hour and the paycheck for each month would be around 1,400 a month. This would mean forcing this mother sending kids to day care, you have any clue to how much it cost to babysit at daycare? For single child the cost is around 750 a month!!! That means half of paycheck goes to daycare, the rent, oh another 800 a month, this comes to 1,500 dollars. How can this lady manage with just one child? That is the real problem! I know it sounded nuts to have 5 kids, but you see EVEN with just one kid, you need a decent paying job, how many deafies with lack of education would be able to get job to cover every damn basic needs to get going? So, only one kid, usually SSI don't pay enough... after 3rd kid it gets ALOT easier. Sure she could chase these fathers, but only *IF* they got money. Most of the father don't have the money. And if they *DO* work, 1/3 of their paycheck goes to CSU (CHild Support Unit). How many guys with minimum wage be willing to lose 1/3 of their paycheck? They got to pay rent, food, transportation and 2/3 of the paycheck usually is NOT enough, so usually they refused to work.
In the last 10 years alot of welfare programs have been cut off, or limited. Is there any real success? Afraid NO! We ended up owe more money, we ended up pay more taxes, we ended up seeing more people in soup kitchen, shelters, etc. This have proved that we have NOT solve the problem!
Oh to mention, that health cost has skyrocket since Richard Nixon de-regulated the health industry. As we seen, average of 12% of health cost increases every year since mid-1970! This truly eroding poor people ability to support themselves. So what's the solution? I am not sure!

SilverPanda said:
I know of a girl, who is a friend of my friend, she is only 18 years old and is pregnant with her 5th (yes 5th!!!!!) child. I asked her why she keeps on having babies? She said that she gets paid from SSI and welfare (over $1000 per kid) so she wants $5000 a month. Im like WTF!?!?! she's just having babies so she can get more money. She won't even WORK. This is really SAD!

diehardbiker65 said:
Sure, think about this. Having kids and single mother is the hardest you can image! It is next to impossible to hold a job. Deafies are no exception! Suppose you find a job, say ten dollars an hour and the paycheck for each month would be around 1,400 a month. This would mean forcing this mother sending kids to day care, you have any clue to how much it cost to babysit at daycare? For single child the cost is around 750 a month!!! That means half of paycheck goes to daycare, the rent, oh another 800 a month, this comes to 1,500 dollars. How can this lady manage with just one child? That is the real problem! I know it sounded nuts to have 5 kids, but you see EVEN with just one kid, you need a decent paying job, how many deafies with lack of education would be able to get job to cover every damn basic needs to get going? So, only one kid, usually SSI don't pay enough... after 3rd kid it gets ALOT easier. Sure she could chase these fathers, but only *IF* they got money. Most of the father don't have the money. And if they *DO* work, 1/3 of their paycheck goes to CSU (CHild Support Unit). How many guys with minimum wage be willing to lose 1/3 of their paycheck? They got to pay rent, food, transportation and 2/3 of the paycheck usually is NOT enough, so usually they refused to work.
In the last 10 years alot of welfare programs have been cut off, or limited. Is there any real success? Afraid NO! We ended up owe more money, we ended up pay more taxes, we ended up seeing more people in soup kitchen, shelters, etc. This have proved that we have NOT solve the problem!
Oh to mention, that health cost has skyrocket since Richard Nixon de-regulated the health industry. As we seen, average of 12% of health cost increases every year since mid-1970! This truly eroding poor people ability to support themselves. So what's the solution? I am not sure!

Yeah I know it is tough to support a child but with this girl that I know, she's living with her parents, rent free and food free. So basically she's getting $5000 just to make sure her kids have clothes, toys, that's about it. Cuz her parents are paying for everything else.

SilverPanda said:
Yeah I know it is tough to support a child but with this girl that I know, she's living with her parents, rent free and food free. So basically she's getting $5000 just to make sure her kids have clothes, toys, that's about it. Cuz her parents are paying for everything else.
She got enough money to get her OWN place......... 5 kids! with $5,000 about time to move out

diehardbiker65 said:

Stagflation was rearing its ugly head during the Nixon era and they had to do something to get things going again. Hence, the deregulation of health care and some other things. Unfortunately, we are probably going back to that with oil prices so high. I say we in for a rough decade maybe two ahead of us. Just depends if we can get a whole lot less dependent on foreign oil.

I agree with you that there are no easy answers. Unfettered capitalism tends to screw the low and middle income while governmental controls screws the economy. Talk about picking your poison!

I have used ssi for many years..going to college, working p/t jobs etc. Im working f/t now and it makes life much easier when it comes to $$. Being on ssi is boring, true but one good thing about it is when you get laid off, you have backup $$ that hearies don't have and can use it while looking for another job.

At this time, unfortunately, ssi hardly covers costs of living if you're independent--living on your own or with roommates, paying your own bills, etc. With oil/gas prices going up and inflation is starting to increase....it will be tougher for those on ssi.

sillycat said:
I have used ssi for many years..going to college, working p/t jobs etc. Im working f/t now and it makes life much easier when it comes to $$. Being on ssi is boring, true but one good thing about it is when you get laid off, you have backup $$ that hearies don't have and can use it while looking for another job.

At this time, unfortunately, ssi hardly covers costs of living if you're independent--living on your own or with roommates, paying your own bills, etc. With oil/gas prices going up and inflation is starting to increase....it will be tougher for those on ssi.
Yes exactly I know what you mean.. But there are apts.. that will increase the prices for deafies or for others who have ssi for different reason.. There got to be help out there for some of the deafies. I will have to look it up it may be in only certain states.... But I will post a link about it when I find the link okay

Back