Work Vs. SSI/SSDI

sillycat said:
I have used ssi for many years..going to college, working p/t jobs etc. Im working f/t now and it makes life much easier when it comes to $$. Being on ssi is boring, true but one good thing about it is when you get laid off, you have backup $$ that hearies don't have and can use it while looking for another job.

At this time, unfortunately, ssi hardly covers costs of living if you're independent--living on your own or with roommates, paying your own bills, etc. With oil/gas prices going up and inflation is starting to increase....it will be tougher for those on ssi.
BL010132.JPG

This apt. cost $300 a month, it's for the deafies, its close where I live...... and You can check online if they got any in your state... the cost for the deafs is a little cheaper.... No I don't live there not just yet... I don't know what Im doing yet.. Alot ahead of me!! :)

A friend of mine lives in one of the apts... Loves it... It's very beauitful and it got everything that the deafs needs..

Cassbugs said:
BL010132.JPG

This apt. cost $300 a month, it's for the deafies, its close where I live...... and You can check online if they got any in your state... the cost for the deafs is a little cheaper.... No I don't live there not just yet... I don't know what Im doing yet.. Alot ahead of me!! :)

A friend of mine lives in one of the apts... Loves it... It's very beauitful and it got everything that the deafs needs..

Impossible that apartment as nice as that costs only $300 a month. My apartment is very nice but it costs $455 a month.

LuciaDisturbed said:
Impossible that apartment as nice as that costs only $300 a month. My apartment is very nice but it costs $455 a month.

In Washington Metro (Northern Virginia, DC and Southern Maryland), various of rental apartments cost for a small studio at $899.00 to three bedrooms at $1,200....

Mookie said:
In Washington Metro (Northern Virginia, DC and Southern Maryland), various of rental apartments cost for a small studio at $899.00 to three bedrooms at $1,200....

In Minneapolis a tiny ass room costs at least $800 and you don't get your own bathroom and shower either. Bathroom and shower is shared with the entire building.

It is possible, often it is subsized by HUD. There are programs that HUD offers for low income people.

LuciaDisturbed said:

Cassbugs said:
BL010132.JPG

Wow, it's beautiful

diehardbiker65 said:
It is possible, often it is subsized by HUD. There are programs that HUD offers for low income people.

Yeah, but nowdays it's getting more and more impossible to get HUD...many waiting lists are very long and many other waiting lists are even closed.

LuciaDisturbed said:
Yeah, but nowdays it's getting more and more impossible to get HUD...many waiting lists are very long and many other waiting lists are even closed.

HUD has just increased their voucher tally for the upcoming FY and that caused a number of our clients to score some hits as recent as last week. Some of them waited as long as 5 years.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
HUD has just increased their voucher tally for the upcoming FY and that caused a number of our clients to score some hits as recent as last week. Some of them waited as long as 5 years.

Richard

Hmmm, I'll see if I can score one so I can pay less rent.

I am on SSI now but it's hard finding a job.. I am stay at home mom right now taking care of kids. When we move to SC then I will go to college so I can have a very good job and support my family! :mrgreen:

FelixKat930 said:
We live in a duplex apartment and it costs 400 a month.

Cool, I lived in an upper flat for only $360 a month including all utilities when I lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin....it was a rundown flat though but decent enough for me tho.

I like it here though.. I live here for 4 years now.. but need more room and space because of kids and toys heh.. we will wait to move to SC then after that.. no more movings!

LuciaDisturbed said:
Cool, I lived in an upper flat for only $360 a month including all utilities when I lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin....it was a rundown flat though but decent enough for me tho.

Your right, BUT it is NOT "Impossible", just that it is harder than used to be.

LuciaDisturbed said:

Easier to figure out if it is worth the chase for HUD or not. Calculate your income by 30% That includes all of the utilities! So, if you earn $1,500 a month, then expect to pay 450 dollars a month for rent, including utilities. So you can decide, if your rents now are less than that then it is not worth chasing HUD. otherwise worth if you'd save money.

30% of your income is HUD's rule in how much you pay for the rent.

QUOTE=LuciaDisturbed]Hmmm, I'll see if I can score one so I can pay less rent.[/QUOTE]

diehardbiker65 said:
Easier to figure out if it is worth the chase for HUD or not. Calculate your income by 30% That includes all of the utilities! So, if you earn $1,500 a month, then expect to pay 450 dollars a month for rent, including utilities. So you can decide, if your rents now are less than that then it is not worth chasing HUD. otherwise worth if you'd save money.

QUOTE=LuciaDisturbed]Hmmm, I'll see if I can score one so I can pay less rent.
[/QUOTE]

I would calculate but I suck at math! I dunno how, lol!

diehardbiker65 said:

QUOTE=LuciaDisturbed]Hmmm, I'll see if I can score one so I can pay less rent.
[/QUOTE]
lol how do I get $1500 a month!!!!! hehe

Easy! Using your calculator enter the amount of your *GROSS* income (Not the amount that you take home), then multiply them by .3 then you will see the amount you would pay for the rent, including all utilities (except phone bill). Make sure you enter decimal then three as .3 not just 3, get it?

I would calculate but I suck at math! I dunno how, lol![/QUOTE]

diehardbiker65 said:
Easy! Using your calculator enter the amount of your *GROSS* income (Not the amount that you take home), then multiply them by .3 then you will see the amount you would pay for the rent, including all utilities (except phone bill). Make sure you enter decimal then three as .3 not just 3, get it?

I would calculate but I suck at math! I dunno how, lol!
[/QUOTE]

...so 30% is .3 on the calculator? like 50% is .5 on the calucator? Thanks! I only know basic math lol...sad huh?

Back