Why do they make Deaf students spend their first three years at college taking no ..

I know that the Deaf community is the same as the hearing when it comes to ability. So much depends on teachers and their ability to explain things and to keep your interest etc., plus it depends on your interest in a subject.

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND>>> geeeeez, sounded good, but it has shut down many of our Oregon schools.

I, for one, had no idea that the Deaf community had a problem with literacy. I don't think most people know how hard they have to work to excel in that.
I was wondering about PHDs. I heard somewhere that enrollment was down in the higher mode... How does one pay for that high of a level of ed? Grants? Scholarships?

About Oregon school closings, I think if you check, it had more to do with state budget cuts.(Pretty sure my literacy at least grade 8.)

It's called placement testing. The system we use is COMPASS.
Similar here. It's computer-based, self-paced progam, with a live instructor for one-on-one help.

Did you read the link that was posted further up? It said that it was considered normal for deaf people to have a fourth grade level reading???? Is that true?

What they aren't telling you is that the average high school graduate (hearing) graduates with a 5th grade reading level.

And grade level testing, because of the way it is scored, is deceptive.

About Oregon school closings, I think if you check, it had more to do with state budget cuts.(Pretty sure my literacy at least grade 8.)

That is what I had said before. It was all about money. The blind school was worth a lot, and the hospital is close to it. Salem hospital and some other developers made some pretty impressive bids. But one of the issues that they used to try to push for the merger was that enrollment is down in the Deaf school. A lot of that has to do with the fact that it is not being promoted around the state. Kids are screened and then steered towards the implant and mainstreaming.

My whole point was this.. If the kids are going to be mainstreamed in larger and larger majorities, wouldn't it be nice if they had access to Deaf culture and to sign.??? Ya know, if the muhamad won't come to the mountain, then move the mountain to him???? (just an old sayin)

What they aren't telling you is that the average high school graduate (hearing) graduates with a 5th grade reading level.
Pitiful!

The whole education continuum is sliding downhill.

Elementary kids used to learn the same subjects at what is now middle school level. Middle school (junior high) students used to learn the subjects at what is now high school level. Two-year college students are studying at the high school level.

Less than 100 years ago, elementary students were studying what would now be a high school curriculum.

So sad. :(

There's no good reason for college students to be studying how to properly structure an English sentence. There's no good reason for college students to not know that the American Civil War was not in 1950, and that WWI happened before WWII. There's no good reason for college students to know how to use fractions and decimals. There's no good reason for college students to not know current events, or what's included in the U.S. Constitution, or the planets of our solar system.

No, I'm not exaggerating.

Pitiful!

Elementary kids used to learn the same subjects at what is now middle school level. Middle school (junior high) students used to learn the subjects at what is now high school level. Two-year college students are studying at the high school level.

Less than 100 years ago, elementary students were studying what would now be a high school curriculum.

There's no good reason for college students to be studying how to properly structure an English sentence. There's no good reason for college students to not know that the American Civil War was not in 1950, and that WWI happened before WWII. There's no good reason for college students to know how to use fractions and decimals. There's no good reason for college students to not know current events, or what's included in the U.S. Constitution, or the planets of our solar system.

I totally agree with you and it makes me mad. What is even worse is for Deaf college students to have insufficient education. It is hard enough to compete against hearing applicants for a job, let alone if you don't have high skill levels... Talk about our money getting wasted. I hope if they revise no child left behind, they will include the deaf needs too.

back in the 80's English system at NTID was so weak... they could admit any student into English Composition then liberal arts with lousy grammars! what's important is creativity
Boult, FYI that's b/c deaf ed in your generation wasn't that great.

Pitiful!

No, unfortunately, you are not exaggerating. I wish you were. :-(

Fifth grade lvl for hearing??? I was under the impression they could read at 9th grade level. Where'd you get this? I'm curious.

Hello Shel90, I want to make sure I understand this. Let's say...a student, aged 15 in the 6th grade is moved to 8th grade so he could graduate at 19 instead of 21? Is this what your school is doing/trying to do?

I work with elementary kids..the 1st to 3rd graders...

Fifth grade lvl for hearing??? I was under the impression they could read at 9th grade level. Where'd you get this? I'm curious.

You know, I can't remember exactly where I read it. In something that passed across my desk at work. And that would be "average high school graduate." I should have specified that.

My apologies, Shel. I just now recalled reading that you work with small children.

I dont know what's going on with the high school dept and I hope they wont do stuff like that. My primary focus is to get my students to become proficient readers and writers at an early age so they wont struggle later on.

I dont know what's going on with the high school dept and I hope they wont do stuff like that. My primary focus is to get my students to become proficient readers and writers at an early age so they wont struggle later on.
Good to know what you are doing with your students. I wish there are more teachers out there like that. As for my previous post, the deaf school where I attended moved many older students up a grade or two. Even the "slow" students were moved up.

Good to know what you are doing with your students. I wish there are more teachers out there like that. As for my previous post, the deaf school where I attended moved many older students up a grade or two. Even the "slow" students were moved up.

Well...we tend to repeat kids a lot if they are performing below their age appropriate level in all areas but we cant repeat kids forever..cant have a 15 year old in a 3rd grade class, right? But we have repeated kids 2 or even 3 times in the younger grades cuz it is better to grab them while they are younger. I have never heard of moving kids up for being "slow" . That's a new concept to me and I should investigate that.

It usually depends on the student's education.

Some colleges have standards that are too high for some deaf students. In order for those deaf students to take college-level courses, they have to take pre-college courses (or non-credited courses).

NTID does that. They have two degree programs. One program focuses on your major and not much on Liberal Arts (like a certification program). Another program focuses on both your major and Liberal Arts (like most community colleges).

That's why colleges usually give assessment tests... to see where students should be placed.

Some colleges have standards that are too high for some deaf students. In order for those deaf students to take college-level courses, they have to take pre-college courses (or non-credited courses).

NTID does that. They have two degree programs. One program focuses on your major and not much on Liberal Arts (like a certification program). Another program focuses on both your major and Liberal Arts (like most community colleges).

That's why colleges usually give assessment tests... to see where students should be placed.

Bingo!

Yes, like for example with LA it is AAS without LA it is AOS
Associate in Applied Science and Associate in Occupational Studies.
(in my case, my majored offered that... DIPT Frequently Asked Questions )

Yes, like for example with LA it is AAS without LA it is AOS
Associate in Applied Science and Associate in Occupational Studies.
(in my case, my majored offered that... DIPT Frequently Asked Questions )

This question might sound a little dumb, but I will see if I can word it the way I mean it.

Let's say a deaf student was really smart in everything but english skills. Like he was a math wizard and history buff. If he couldn't read the or write the test well, would they keep him back in all areas, or is there such a thing as testing a student through sign language to find out he knows history and such, and then only make him take extra english classes? I hope that came out right.

Back