Why do they make Deaf students spend their first three years at college taking no ..

I need to go part-time so I can work. What bothered me is that she didn't know that. Also if I can't get terps, there is no way I can go full time. I don't have the energy to speech read that intensily for full course load.
Oh, that makes sense. Why not think about a college that provides better interpreter support?

I'm not trying to make you go to RIT/NTID, but I'm just using RIT as an example. They have a lot of jobs on campus that are easy and allow you to manage your time while you go to school. NTID has several computer labs. With that, you can work and still be in a deaf-friendly environment. There's also a group called Student Life Team. They work with freshmen and help develop educational programs. (This would be a good second-year job.) There's also jobs as resident advisor. :)

Oh, that makes sense. Why not think about a college that provides better interpreter support?

I'm not trying to make you go to RIT/NTID, but I'm just using RIT as an example. They have a lot of jobs on campus that are easy and allow you to manage your time while you go to school. NTID has several computer labs. With that, you can work and still be in a deaf-friendly environment. There's also a group called Student Life Team. They work with freshmen and help develop educational programs. (This would be a good second-year job.) There's also jobs as resident advisor. :)

I did consider other schools too. York University which is also in Toronto has a large d/Deaf/HOH population. It is about an hour and a half commute though. University of Toronto is right downtown and within walking distance of my apartment. They are also the only school where I can do a double major in International Development and Equity studies. I did consider other schools, but in the end my heart was set on U of T. I am going to give it a go for a year and if it doesn't work then I will switch to York or maybe even Gallaudet. We will see how it goes. I have a meeting with the AC this coming Friday and I am super prepared for it. I have letters from my audie and I have done lots of researched and talked to some Deaf people who went there and worked with the same access counsellor. Hopefully I will get what I want.

While ASL is "American Sign Language", it still has its own syntax... structure... etc. ASL does not follow English standards. It only uses words from the English language. Signing ASL is like a Spanish person speaking English in Spanish structure.

This is where the confusion lies. ASL does not use words from the English language. It uses concepts that are universal. Just because a sign can be interpreted into a word that represents the same concept in English symbols does not mean that it is using English words. You can take an ASL sign and interpret it, conceptually into English, Spanish, French, Hindi, Russian, or any other language's word symbol. The concept remains consistent. The sign for "chair" represents the concept of the thing. The word "chair", whether spoken or written is still no more than a symbol for the concept of the thing. Use the Russian word, the Spanish word, etc. that is the symbol for chair, and you have not represented a different concept, you have simply used a different symbol for the concept. So the concepts are universal.

If we were to put ASL in every school from preschool and up, then we would have to put Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, etc... in every school as well. ASL, like every other language, should be something that's optional and offered in high school like most schools. If there is a junior high school that also offers foreign language, then ASL can be added to that curriculum as well.

Hey Vamp, do you think that introducing ASL in High school as an elective will do anything to bridge the communication gap between the hearing and deaf students in the lower grades? I worry mostly over the isolation that can occur for a deaf child who can't communicate well with speech. If all the kids learned ASL early on, they would always have communication skills. There is so much development and learning that comes from peripheral communcation. In other words, what you hear behind you or in the hall or in casual conversation is part of your growth and integration into your environment. A speech reader can't see the peripheral sets of lips, but if sign language were known, the social skills of communication would develop between the hearing and the deaf. Acceptance could grow, and prejudice might begin to wane a little. There are only a certain amount of placements available for ASL as an elective. Not everyone gets to take it in High School. But even if they did, that is a long time to have to wait to communicate with your fellow students or family members.

While ASL is "American Sign Language", it still has its own syntax... structure... etc. ASL does not follow English standards. It only uses words from the English language. Signing ASL is like a Spanish person speaking English in Spanish structure.

:confused: ASL does not only use words from the English language. It is a conceptual language.

This is where the confusion lies. ASL does not use words from the English language. It uses concepts that are universal. Just because a sign can be interpreted into a word that represents the same concept in English symbols does not mean that it is using English words. You can take an ASL sign and interpret it, conceptually into English, Spanish, French, Hindi, Russian, or any other language's word symbol. The concept remains consistent. The sign for "chair" represents the concept of the thing. The word "chair", whether spoken or written is still no more than a symbol for the concept of the thing. Use the Russian word, the Spanish word, etc. that is the symbol for chair, and you have not represented a different concept, you have simply used a different symbol for the concept. So the concepts are universal.

LOL! I didnt see your post before posting my response to Vampy about ASL not using words from the English language.

Hey, I totally agree that they would need english skills for most stuff. I was really just wondering if it was standard procedure to make them redo all of the stuff or just literacy training? And I was thinking that lots of folks can learn some subjects through sign lanuage if they are interested in it, and if someone knowledgeable was signing the info for them. ???? I don't know,, I just like to ask stupid questions, I guess. :)

This is from question 19. I was answering someone else. So it is out of context. But I can answer some from life experience if you like. But you don't need credit for other peoples dumb questions.

I did consider other schools too. York University which is also in Toronto has a large d/Deaf/HOH population. It is about an hour and a half commute though. University of Toronto is right downtown and within walking distance of my apartment. They are also the only school where I can do a double major in International Development and Equity studies. I did consider other schools, but in the end my heart was set on U of T. I am going to give it a go for a year and if it doesn't work then I will switch to York or maybe even Gallaudet. We will see how it goes. I have a meeting with the AC this coming Friday and I am super prepared for it. I have letters from my audie and I have done lots of researched and talked to some Deaf people who went there and worked with the same access counsellor. Hopefully I will get what I want.
Sometimes, we have to move and live far away so we can go to college.

While many colleges require first-year students to live in the dorms, you can get opportunities to be with roommates in apartments and pay less or become a resident advisor to get free room and/or food. :)

I'm from Texas. I lived in New York for almost 8 years because of college. :)

There are more and more hearing schools to start teach ASL classes in California is really great to exposure them about Deaf Culture. I enjoyed see several hearing kennelers come in my job and sign with me when they learned. Its makes them feel good that they able to communicate. It is fortunate.

So, There are many languages in across in the world merge in many ways in nowsdays. America picked the major languages to teach in the classes at grade school/universities that they want to learn. Often, they will learn then forgot in later. That's basically becomes second languages for them in this nowsdays. I dont blame them. As long they TRY to learn and let them to be.

There are many colleges that offer many options for us to choose. Yea, we have to be wise to make that right choices instead making a mistake. Just be wise.

If we were to put ASL in every school from preschool and up, then we would have to put Spanish, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, etc... in every school as well. ASL, like every other language, should be something that's optional and offered in high school like most schools. If there is a junior high school that also offers foreign language, then ASL can be added to that curriculum as well.

Learning at least another language should be mandatory for all students regardless of hearing status. I don't care about suck-up politics, there are more languages than just English for Heaven's sake! In Europe most citizens are bi- if not multi-lingual. This should be encouraged; Europe is screwed up in many ways but this one should be applied to the entire world. How sick is it that in America, you can be highly educated and speak one language??

On another note, I completely oppose NCLB. While I'm sure it had great intentions, the fed. gov't stupidly forgot to fund it. Oops! As a result, some of the teachers in the poorer districts are losing the flame that keeps them teaching. What a joke NCLB and the Bush administration are.

Learning at least another language should be mandatory for all students regardless of hearing status. I don't care about suck-up politics, there are more languages than just English for Heaven's sake! In Europe most citizens are bi- if not multi-lingual. This should be encouraged; Europe is screwed up in many ways but this one should be applied to the entire world. How sick is it that in America, you can be highly educated and speak one language??

On another note, I completely oppose NCLB. While I'm sure it had great intentions, the fed. gov't stupidly forgot to fund it. Oops! As a result, some of the teachers in the poorer districts are losing the flame that keeps them teaching. What a joke NCLB and the Bush administration are.

Well said!!

It was mandatory that I take 2 years of Foreign Language.

So, I took Spanish for 2 years. :)

I've already forgotten most of it. :roll:

Back