Why Deaf Chat Coffee?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
There's a deaf social that happens every month at Starbucks.

My question is...

Why Starbucks?

Why Deaf Chat Coffee?

I've attended this event several times in three different cities.

One thing I've noticed is that almost NO ONE orders anything from Starbucks.

If that's the case, why Starbucks? Was the person who established this event a coffee addict? How was it decided that it would take place at Starbucks?

One of the reasons why I don't go often is because it takes place at Starbucks, the place I like the least... plus, I sometimes feel guilty being there when I'm not buying anything from them.

Sure, I could have their desserts... but they're expensive as well. Seriously, having something so expensive isn't appealing enough for me.

Why not a different location?

Is there a location you would rather meet at instead?

I believe is because in general that lot of people meet up for lunch at coffee shops or cafe . I guess that's why they stuck up with the idea.

In Seattle, lot of deaf people do order coffee or snacks. We do get a good sized line of deaf people ordering them.

There's one coffee that's called " Heritage " - my favorite place to hang out with deaf friends. I don't care for famous Starbucks and even, thou the coffee may taste good and it is expensive to order. Heritage don't cost that much like Starbucks do. :)

I dunno, maybe deaf people like to drink coffee while chatting.

When I go there for the deaf gatherings at Starbucks, I don't care for coffee, I don't drink it, but they have others there you could order, I always get the fruit Tazo Citrus Cream it tasted kinda like an Orange Julius.

So, when you go to those deaf chat coffee socials... do you see many people actually drinking coffee?

Maybe cuz it is the trendy thing to do. LOL!

In general when I go to socials, regardless of where it is, I notice a lot of deaf chatters do not pay for food/drinks or even bother to tip. To be honest with you, it is actually embarrassing because it is a poor reflection of us. A lot of hearing people will generalize (even though they shouldn't do that, but we all know they will and do) - so the next time they see a deaf person or a group of deaf people, they may not want to bother serving that person or group.

A few months ago there was a deaf poker tournament that ran for two days. On the second day the waitresses and waiters REFUSE to serve drinks because of lousy (if any) tips. In fact, they refused to step into the room. I wanted to crawl under the table and die.

Out of respect for a business such as Starbucks, people should pay for coffee and/or dessert...because sitting at the tables take up room from other paying customers and that can hurt the business. Same for restaurants...the longer you sit there and chat, the more money you take away from the waiter/waitress who could be earning tips from other customers at that table.

If you just want to chat, go to somebody's house. Please.

In general when I go to socials, regardless of where it is, I notice a lot of deaf chatters do not pay for food/drinks or even bother to tip. To be honest with you, it is actually embarrassing because it is a poor reflection of us. A lot of hearing people will generalize (even though they shouldn't do that, but we all know they will and do) - so the next time they see a deaf person or a group of deaf people, they may not want to bother serving that person or group.

A few months ago there was a deaf poker tournament that ran for two days. On the second day the waitresses and waiters REFUSE to serve drinks because of lousy (if any) tips. In fact, they refused to step into the room. I wanted to crawl under the table and die.

Out of respect for a business such as Starbucks, people should pay for coffee and/or dessert...because sitting at the tables take up room from other paying customers and that can hurt the business. Same for restaurants...the longer you sit there and chat, the more money you take away from the waiter/waitress who could be earning tips from other customers at that table.

If you just want to chat, go to somebody's house. Please.

Want to see how bad it gets? Come to DC and see how many restuarant waiters/watresses refuse to serve deaf patrons! I cant blame them cuz I rarely see many of them leave a tip! One time, I left a $20 tip for a dinner party cuz nobody else would leave a tip. They said that they were either broke or felt they didnt need to leave a tip. :rifle:

Wow, really?

In Oregon, my friends, some deafies I never meet and, sometimes, deafies brought their families to the Starbuck. I saw most of them just went for grabbing a coffee or different kind of coffee. I did go for having my favorite beverage. :dunno:

There is no requirement to leave a tip. Tippers have spoiled workers. businesses function to serve......they chose to provide a room space for poker...deafsocial whatever. It is part of promotion....some of these people become regular customers ...and bring others......partly it may be just a attempt at seeming socially conscinece to other customers. Owners pay employees...they don't just live on tips. Was a time tipping was not done much...or a very small amount.
A company as big as Starbuccks should pay employees extra if the expect them to provide a large amount of extra services. I think they just get spoiled myself....cuz they have a lot of high income customers.
Employees will gripe aat me but that's called bias. My daughter is a waitress and I tell her the same thing.
15% is supposedly the norm now.....nah.....norm is 'be grateful for any tip. Employers should pay better.

That reminds me....Starbucks recently sued for management level employees dipping into the tip profits.....which is against the law. So, there you go....there is that extra that the employees wanted.

I've never been anywhere where waitstaff refused to wait on me, but I have seen my friends leave a tiny tip or no tip at all, and it does embarrass me. I try to over-tip to compensate for their lack of tip. Something I shouldn't have to do ..

Tippers have spoiled workers. Owners pay employees...they don't just live on tips. A company as big as Starbuccks should pay employees extra if the expect them to provide a large amount of extra services. I think they just get spoiled myself....cuz they have a lot of high income customers.

Not that I'm defending the waitstaff, but as far as the waitstaff being greedy, they make less than minimum wage. It is one of the very few jobs that are allowed to be paid at less than minimum. So they DO depend on the tips to make ends meet.

You do have a point that it is pointless to be there if you're not ordering and just taking up space for a free event for deaf people.

I have never been to one, but I have thought about going to one. It's just 45 minutes away and in an area I don't really like for evening or nightime hang out.

Anyway, but I thought maybe they don't want the caffeine in their system late at night?

I think these events are a great idea, but if you do not order, then I think it's dumb to have such event happen just for free.

I was thinking that maybe someone should write an article in deaf magazines regarding certain deaf people's poor tipping. Maybe there are deaf people who do not understand how waitresses or waiters get paid and why it is necessary to tip them. Maybe no one explained to them the reason for the tips. Maybe this should be taught in deaf schools to educate deaf people about it. Just an idea.

My daughter is a waitress and I tell her the same thing.
15% is supposedly the norm now.....nah.....norm is 'be grateful for any tip. Employers should pay better.

Yeah, I think so.

One time, my family and I went to Applebee's, and it was friday. She first brought us the menu for alcoholic beverages, and we are not drinkers. She had a small attitude after that such as not bringing me another clean spoon (because it looked dirty). Someone else brought it because we never saw her. Then later, she took forever to get us our bill. We went to her and she gave it to us and didn't stay to take the receipt. Now, that...we didn't tip her. We aren't coming back because we know another Applebee's that has good waitresses and waiters. Maybe she got commission or something for the drinks she got to order that night. I agree THAT is spoilage.

I do tip. I always do, but yes... it's true that some deaf people do not tip.

So, when you go to those deaf chat coffee socials... do you see many people actually drinking coffee?

Yes, especially in Seattle.

Funny you mention that. I always leave a tip but amazingly a few of my waiter/waitress friends complain that deaf people don't tip--even if they know sign language.

deaf chat coffee doesn't make you required to get coffee drink, it's just a social lifestyle for deaf.

Just deaf people?..give us a break, lol! lots of hearing people dont
either...both hearing and deaf people can be just darn cheapskates..ya
know that!

Want to see how bad it gets? Come to DC and see how many restuarant waiters/watresses refuse to serve deaf patrons! I cant blame them cuz I rarely see many of them leave a tip! One time, I left a $20 tip for a dinner party cuz nobody else would leave a tip. They said that they were either broke or felt they didnt need to leave a tip. :rifle:
I agree with you. This is a big problem at NTID.

A lot of the food delivery drivers don't get tips from the deaf students (especially the pizza delivery drivers). I've caught several deaf students not paying tips. When I asked them, the all say... "What for? I'm paying for the food, not the service!"

I guess that would explain why they decided to start charging for delivery. :(

Back