who's hearie here on AD? (what are you here for?)

yagazn

Reaction score
hello, :wave:

if you're hearie. what are you here for? (for ASL classes that you want to become interpreter?, learn deaf culture, or you want to communicate with Ddeaf/Hhoh in sign language?, or for someone who has a deaf mom, dad, kid, brother or grandkid, grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, cousin or deaf friend, etc).

of course, hearie is welcome here on AD, i just want to know what you're here for.

if you're Ddeaf/Hhoh, go to my post "who's Ddeaf/Hhoh here on AD?" right here in this "our world, our culture" section.

that way someone can see who's hearie here on AD. :ty:

The majority already know that I'm a hearie. I'm here because I have many friends that I communicate with via this forum or through email. I have a deaf son, and have been involved with the deaf community for many years now.

can i be here??

of course hearies are welcome here somehow they do have connect to deaf people like friends and family members or wanted to be interpreter that the reason they came here for advice or some help with signs or whatever they ask about deaf people and how they deal with being deaf.

in fact i am deaf but i have lot of hearies in my life like hearing family members and friends too my hearing family use signs communite with me and my hearing friends even ask me how i deal being deaf i deal with silence that all. my hearing friends don't feel sorry for me as they see me dealing well
hope it helps :)

Im hearie i love deaf culture and the way they communicate *sign language* im in school to become an interpreter :D

I am here because I want to learn about deaf culture. When I started learning sign language I realized how ignorant hearing people are of this culture. We say and do things that show how little we understand like assuming that deaf people are impaired and assuming that ASL is just English using your hands. We do these things most of the time because we just don't know. There are some of us (upon realizing our ignorance) who truly desire to learn the truth because we no longer want to be like that. So that is why I'm here.

Candace

I have been here long enough that most folks know I am hearing. I really do not refer to myself as hearie or my hubs as HOH all the time.

Hubs is HOHw/HA's and is in ITP in preparation for his retirement career as an interpreter.
I am finishing a Business degree with strength in Manual Comm(ASL) for whatever retirement career I pursue.
Neither of us will be ready to retire to a life of leisure in a few years :)

Back to topic:
Why am I here? To network and connect with others in the Culture. To be the best spouse to my hubs and to be the best friend I can in the Deaf Community.

I am here because I want to learn about deaf culture. When I started learning sign language I realized how ignorant hearing people are of this culture. We say and do things that show how little we understand like assuming that deaf people are impaired and assuming that ASL is just English using your hands. We do these things most of the time because we just don't know. There are some of us (upon realizing our ignorance) who truly desire to learn the truth because we no longer want to be like that. So that is why I'm here.

Candace

You are one in a million, Candace. Most prefer just to hold onto their ignorance because it is easier than learning, and less threatening than saying, "Boy, I was wrong about that!" The ones that really blow me away are the hearies that try to convince the Deaf that they are wrong about their own culture and language!

I am here because I am taking ASL and I want to become an interpreter. I became interested the summer before my junior year of high school (4 years ago exactly!) when we were told our next play would be Children of a Lesser God. I only learned a little PSE at the time though. The next summer I worked with someone who is deaf, so that made me want to learn more too. I finally got to enroll in ASL 1 this summer, and now I'm going to deaf events in LA. I really enjoy learning about deaf culture and sign language!

Actually, I'm a little bit of both .........

L is 90% shot (I can hear somewhat w/ aid), while R is 50% (give or take a few %'s- or not quite HOH)

-charles

Hubs is HOHw/HA's and is in ITP in preparation for his retirement career as an interpreter.
Awesome, there need to be more HOH interpreters! I assume he is in training to be an ASL/English terp, not a CDI? I was basically hearing when I became an interpreter, but now I have HA's myself...I am discovering so many wonderful HOH interpreters out there!

I'm a former interpreter and now teach college Englsh to underprepared deaf students.

Absolutely no idea why I'm still here though. :|

My sister started taking ASL classes this summer. She is enrolled in ASL 1 and Deaf Culture. Once she finishes these courses, she will have enough credits to graduate with her nursing degree. Since she lives with me, I hear a lot about the classes and I will be attending some events required for the Deaf Culture class with her. I found this site while google searching about Do's and Don'ts for hearing people attending deaf events.

I don't know actually know any deaf people. Then again, that's not suprising since I don't actually know all that many people (introverted). However, I was approached by a deaf/hoh woman outside of work recently. She was soliciting funds for their sports league. They were collecting money to travel to a tournament. It was very ackward (I felt). She indicated that she was deaf/hoh. But I didn't know if she could read lips. I read over her sheet and it sounded good to me, so I signed the forms and gave her some money. She signed "thank you" to me (one of the only signs that I am familiar with). I said, "you're welcome". At the time, I really wished that I knew how to say "you're welcome" in sign. I was embarassed that I didn't know how to communicate with her or what was proper for me to do in that instance. I asked my sister, but she said that they hadn't learned "you're welcome" in class yet. So...I checked a book out of the library (got that ONE sign down pat now).

Anyway, I'm amazed at all I am learning on this site. I think it will really help me to feel less embarassed about my un-educated behavior in the future.

Although...I still haven't figured out why it is rude for a hearing person to answer a cell phone at a deaf event...My sister's teacher mentioned that it was...and she was too embarrassed to ask why.

My sister started taking ASL classes this summer. She is enrolled in ASL 1 and Deaf Culture. Once she finishes these courses, she will have enough credits to graduate with her nursing degree. Since she lives with me, I hear a lot about the classes and I will be attending some events required for the Deaf Culture class with her. I found this site while google searching about Do's and Don'ts for hearing people attending deaf events.

I don't know actually know any deaf people. Then again, that's not suprising since I don't actually know all that many people (introverted). However, I was approached by a deaf/hoh woman outside of work recently. She was soliciting funds for their sports league. They were collecting money to travel to a tournament. It was very ackward (I felt). She indicated that she was deaf/hoh. But I didn't know if she could read lips. I read over her sheet and it sounded good to me, so I signed the forms and gave her some money. She signed "thank you" to me (one of the only signs that I am familiar with). I said, "you're welcome". At the time, I really wished that I knew how to say "you're welcome" in sign. I was embarassed that I didn't know how to communicate with her or what was proper for me to do in that instance. I asked my sister, but she said that they hadn't learned "you're welcome" in class yet. So...I checked a book out of the library (got that ONE sign down pat now).

Anyway, I'm amazed at all I am learning on this site. I think it will really help me to feel less embarassed about my un-educated behavior in the future.

Although...I still haven't figured out why it is rude for a hearing person to answer a cell phone at a deaf event...My sister's teacher mentioned that it was...and she was too embarrassed to ask why.

Welcome! :) I wanted to try to answer your question, but not sure if I will do it best. Hopefully someone else can chip in. I'll try my best. But it is considered rude to answer a cell phone at a deaf event because the deaf event is one place where the deaf person can feel "at home" when it comes to having access to language. When a hearing person talks on the phone without signing, then the deaf person is once again left out of what is going on around them. The world is full of speaking people and events...and it is so easy to feel left out. So these deaf events are havens of some sort from this feeling. So if a hearing person comes into this haven, then that person needs to respect and validate the deaf person's perspective and feelings.

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense to me! Not to divert the thread, but should I also avoid talking to my sister while attending these events? In the same vein, I can see how that would also be rude because I would not be able to sign what I was saying to her (unless I was saying "thank you" or "you're welcome" :)).

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense to me! Not to divert the thread, but should I also avoid talking to my sister while attending these events? In the same vein, I can see how that would also be rude because I would not be able to sign what I was saying to her (unless I was saying "thank you" or "you're welcome" :)).

From my personal and hearing experience, I think it's fine as long as you really limit your spoken conversation. I was frequently embarrassed at deaf events when hearing people -- in some cases my classmates, who really should have known better -- just hang out together and talk. I think that's incredibly rude. Why go to a deaf event to chat with your hearing friends? (Without signing, I should mention.)

But if you are both there to learn, and are doing your best to communicate with deaf people and sign as much as possible, I think you're displaying a proper respect for the environment, and a word or two aside with your sister shouldn't be too problematic. Just remember someone MIGHT have a problem with it, in which case I'd just switch to pen and paper or something.

I am hearing... I took ASL classes and this september I start the interpreter program... Just here to meet new people :)

I'm a hearie, and I'm here because my mom is HOH, and I'm getting ready to write a senior thesis on deaf culture. I've been doing a lot of research, and it seems like to me that being HOH is kind of like being biracial... you don't really know where you belong.

I've also, at the ripe age of 30, started to figure out that what I took for granted, being raised by a HOH parent makes me noticeably different from others. I used to wait tables at P.F. Changs, and the best tip I ever got in my LIFE was because there was someone who was in the party who was deaf. If you've ever eaten there, the server has to go through this whole dog and pony show with the sauces and whatnot. I looked right at him, didn't use ASL (don't know it because my mom doesn't... but that's a whole nother issue, isn't it?).... turns out he was paying the bill.

Oh, and I can spot a hearing aid from like a mile away. Now that I work in telecom, I can tell if someone's HOH/Ddeaf just by how they write and whether or not their main line has a voicemail box.

Back