who's hearie here on AD? (what are you here for?)

Oh yeah, and I learned the hard way that HOH doesn't mean that mom can't tell when you come in late from curfew. Even without hearing aids, she totally has mom-dar.

Oh, and I can spot a hearing aid from like a mile away. Now that I work in telecom, I can tell if someone's HOH/Ddeaf just by how they write and whether or not their main line has a voicemail box.

OUCH. :( Sorry to hijack the thread, but that bolded statement is offensive. I'm deaf and nobody can tell I'm deaf just by how I write. How do you know that what you're reading wasn't written by someone from another country? Or anyone less than familiar with the English language? Or someone who has arthritis and uses fewer words to write? Or a multitude of other reasons ...

I'm a hearie, and I'm here because my mom is HOH, and I'm getting ready to write a senior thesis on deaf culture. I've been doing a lot of research, and it seems like to me that being HOH is kind of like being biracial... you don't really know where you belong.

I've also, at the ripe age of 30, started to figure out that what I took for granted, being raised by a HOH parent makes me noticeably different from others. I used to wait tables at P.F. Changs, and the best tip I ever got in my LIFE was because there was someone who was in the party who was deaf. If you've ever eaten there, the server has to go through this whole dog and pony show with the sauces and whatnot. I looked right at him, didn't use ASL (don't know it because my mom doesn't... but that's a whole nother issue, isn't it?).... turns out he was paying the bill.

Oh, and I can spot a hearing aid from like a mile away. Now that I work in telecom, I can tell if someone's HOH/Ddeaf just by how they write and whether or not their main line has a voicemail box.

You must not have met some of the Deaf/HOH people I have. Many possess Master's level degrees or Ph.D.'s and write more grammatically correct and eloquent English than some hearies I know.

[/B]
You must not have met some of the Deaf/HOH people I have. Many possess Master's level degrees or Ph.D.'s and write more grammatically correct and eloquent English than some hearies I know.
I am late-deafened, so my English is that of a hearing person, someone who learned English as their native language, auditorily. But it's interesting, when I'm on AD, there are many people who write in ASL style ("Deaf English") and I find myself switching to that sometimes. So sometimes I write funny on here and later I look back at it, and I realize that it is a combination of ASL and English. Go figure.

I think you can tell when a person's native language is ASL, but I don't think you can tell whether they are deaf or hearing.

I am late-deafened, so my English is that of a hearing person, someone who learned English as their native language, auditorily. But it's interesting, when I'm on AD, there are many people who write in ASL style ("Deaf English") and I find myself switching to that sometimes. So sometimes I write funny on here and later I look back at it, and I realize that it is a combination of ASL and English. Go figure.

I think you can tell when a person's native language is ASL, but I don't think you can tell whether they are deaf or hearing.

Exactly. Could be a CODA. Or could simply be someone whose native language is not English. And, you must be careful to not place those judgements on informal writing examples. What I write on this board, I don't monitor for grammatical correctness in the same way that I do a professional paper.

I'm a hearie, and I'm here because my mom is HOH, and I'm getting ready to write a senior thesis on deaf culture. I've been doing a lot of research, and it seems like to me that being HOH is kind of like being biracial... you don't really know where you belong.

I've also, at the ripe age of 30, started to figure out that what I took for granted, being raised by a HOH parent makes me noticeably different from others. I used to wait tables at P.F. Changs, and the best tip I ever got in my LIFE was because there was someone who was in the party who was deaf. If you've ever eaten there, the server has to go through this whole dog and pony show with the sauces and whatnot. I looked right at him, didn't use ASL (don't know it because my mom doesn't... but that's a whole nother issue, isn't it?).... turns out he was paying the bill.

Oh, and I can spot a hearing aid from like a mile away. Now that I work in telecom, I can tell if someone's HOH/Ddeaf just by how they write and whether or not their main line has a voicemail box.[/QUOTE]

By how they write? That's very pompous of you. I think u owe us an apology for making a blanket statement like that about us, Deaf/HOH people.

Exactly. Could be a CODA. Or could simply be someone whose native language is not English. And, you must be careful to not place those judgements on informal writing examples. What I write on this board, I don't monitor for grammatical correctness in the same way that I do a professional paper.

Jillio, I'm assuming you mean your own grammatical correctness here on the board but I'm wondering if you pay attention (prolly not part of your job, per se) to the grammar structure of the students at your place of work?

Jillio, I'm assuming you mean your own grammatical correctness here on the board but I'm wondering if you pay attention (prolly not part of your job, per se) to the grammar structure of the students at your place of work?

Well, yes I do, since you mention it. It is kind of an unconscious part of my assessment when deciding which services might prove to be beneficial for them. Quite often things like that will cue me in to areas of weakness.

Feistess - YIKES, I'd suggest you apologize and commence some rather elegant if not hasty back-pedalling about now.

I find the above quote of yours quite interesting, since I don't know anyone else who can do that (hearing, hoh or deaf)???

Sooo, I suppose that begs the question: do you think that (judging by my writing) I am hearing, hoh or deaf ?

Now that I work in telecom, I can tell if someone's HOH/Ddeaf just by how they write and whether or not their main line has a voicemail box.

I'm not offended, but I find it amusing that you are able to judge people by their writing. Some people may not write well, because English is not their main language, etc.

I have limited hearing at 34, I'd like to say successful at what I do, but I waited in denial as the loss progressed. So that's why I'm here.

Others' responses are noted but just to give credit where due, I did notice where Feistness said that she got the biggest tip of her life and that a deafie was paying the bill. Now that's something for a place like PFChang where I routinely tip 20-25% myself.....

Hello and welcome Keith and NintyyFresh...

I'm here to chat about interesting stuff with interesting people. I like people. Period.

Back