who's hearie here on AD? (what are you here for?)

Yeah, what you hearies here for????

To get told how inferior we are and how little we know compared to you?

I find the above quote of yours quite interesting, since I don't know anyone else who can do that (hearing, hoh or deaf)???

Yeah, it is an interesting comment. As a teacher of deaf college students (not to mention a regular here), I can say there is definitely a certain way of writing that is common to many deaf kids who grew up with limited access to language of any kind. There are certain tell-tale errors and certain grammatical structures that are particularly difficult due to the profound differences in English and ASL.

However, this is from the perspective of analyzing the writing of deaf students who are not proficient in academic English. I would never turn it around and say "Because she writes like this she must be deaf." There are buttloads of deaf people just around here whose deafness you could never discern just from the way they write. And as someone else said, there are a zillion reasons for someone to write in a way that might resemble that of a deaf person who is not very skilled in written English. Especially people whose first language is a non-Romance language, like an Asian or Slavic one.

Yeah, what you hearies here for????

To get told how inferior we are and how little we know compared to you? :hmm:

I find the above quote of yours quite interesting, since I don't know anyone else who can do that (hearing, hoh or deaf)???

Yeah, it is an interesting comment. As a teacher of deaf college students (not to mention a regular here), I can say there is definitely a certain way of writing that is common to many deaf kids who grew up with limited access to language of any kind. There are certain tell-tale errors and certain grammatical structures that are particularly difficult due to the profound differences in English and ASL.

However, this is from the perspective of analyzing the writing of deaf students who are not proficient in academic English. I would never turn it around and say "Because she writes like this she must be deaf." There are buttloads of deaf people just around here whose deafness you could never discern just from the way they write. And as someone else said, there are a zillion reasons for someone to write in a way that might resemble that of a deaf person who is not very skilled in written English. Especially people whose first language is a non-Romance language, like an Asian or Slavic one.

Why are we here?

I am here becasue i want to learn more about Deaf culture and become more involved in my local community as well.

I work for an interpreting agency and i want to offer a way for Deaf individuals to give us your feedback and share thoughtsw on some new changes in they way we provide interpreting services to people.

We are working very closely with a company that is trying to change the way hospitals provide services when you have medical appointments and emergencies.

I am trying to include Deaf individuals and other people on AD who wish to give us advice and have a say before we go making decisions FOR you instead of WITH you.

I hope it's OK that i'm on here, i know its not AllDeal.com/some-hearing-people-i-guess.com

My son is deaf and I am here to learn about deafness, deaf culture, educational options and to chat with some good people. All of which I have been able to accomplish thus far and I'm still learning.

My son is deaf and I am here to learn about deafness, deaf culture, educational options and to chat with some good people. All of which I have been able to accomplish thus far and I'm still learning.

Substitute son for daughter and I couldn't have said it better!

I am here because I want to learn about deaf culture. When I started learning sign language I realized how ignorant hearing people are of this culture. We say and do things that show how little we understand like assuming that deaf people are impaired and assuming that ASL is just English using your hands. We do these things most of the time because we just don't know. There are some of us (upon realizing our ignorance) who truly desire to learn the truth because we no longer want to be like that. So that is why I'm here.

Candace

I am in the exact same situation as you. I am wanting to be an ASL Interpreter and I also saw how ignorant I really was and everyone around me is. I was so ignorant I thought Deaf people could drive, boy was I wrong lol.

I am here to learn and grow in the Deaf community. I absolutely love it. I was so happy to find this website so that way if I have any questions come up then I can ask in here and get different opinions and truely put to rest all of the lies that may be out there. I also hope to use this knowledge to help educate other hearing people.

Oh, and I can spot a hearing aid from like a mile away. Now that I work in telecom, I can tell if someone's HOH/Ddeaf just by how they write and whether or not their main line has a voicemail box.

My writting and grammar isn't the best and I am a Hearie lol :lol:

How do you classify me?

I was born deaf due to nerves from the ear to the brain not being completely developed. At the age of 2 I was diagnosed as deaf and was fitted with hearing aids. Started school at 2 and a half years old for hearing impaired kids. By the age of 5 I was put in regular classes for math cause I was doing better then my deaf classmates. Then in 1st grade I was moved to different reading materials and math materials but stayed in deaf class. Finally with the encouragement of my parents the school board put me in regular classes and I surpassed all of their expectation and was removed from Odessa, TX school system and put in Kermit, TX school system with regular kids. Therefore eliminating that hour drive to school every morning since we lived in Kermit, TX and I went to school in Odessa, TX. From then on out I took every course in regular class, but was still listed in special education due to my hearing. I was tested alot during the year on my IQ and received higher then average scores. I went on to graduate from High School with a 4.0 and that included taking AP courses and taking the AP test in English and Calculus.

I started college for Mechanical Engineer and with the help from the state I am able to pay for my education. The reason I was kept in Special Education became clear to me when I began college cause tuition and books are paid by DARS due to the fact I am legally deaf.

I am completing my last semester of Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineer and will graduate with a 3.2 GPA.

Currently I do not know how to sign due to not having the need to sign since I was 7 yrs old. But I do read lips and use hearing aids to help understand what others around me are saying. I know being deaf is hard to handle somedays, but that should never be an excuse for why one should not achieve his/her dream in life.

Admin and Mods, request for sticky this thread in "Our World, Our Culture" because this is a interesting thread and to have hearie people glare this at first sight ;)

Admin and Mods, request for sticky this thread in "Our World, Our Culture" because this is a interesting thread and to have hearie people glare this at first sight ;)

:lol: what you mean hearie people glare at first sight?

:lol: what you mean hearie people glare at first sight?

Meaning hearie will see this thread in the top which making this thread so interesting for hearie to share their stories without making new threads or looking for this thread buried dept 2+pages. ;)

Meaning hearie will see this thread in the top which making this thread so interesting for hearie to share their stories without making new threads or looking for this thread buried dept 2+pages. ;)

I understand. :P Good luck guys. Of course i will be here reading what you guys said. ;)

well...Im here because 1.) I want to be an interpreter. and 2.) well kinda ASL classes and requirements and such...No one in my family is Deaf or HoH I am just absolutly fascinated with ASL and such....

this afternoon at school we had a Deaf speaker come, arranged by my professor, and then a group of us all went to dinner which was friggin awesome..ne who....practiced some signs, learned a few new ones..was refreshed on "shy" and "whore" (by my prof.(who is Deaf)) and some other odd things through out the night...etc ne who....as i sit here writing about my experience, i just realized for my Deaf Culture class that we have a project due, and i have NO idea on what aspect of Deaf culture to do.... If anyone has any ideas would You mind leaving me a message or anythnig that wouldbe MOST awesome :)..and i would see that much faster than comming back here as i always forget which ones i post in :-P....

but yes...learning ASL and Deaf Culture, and becomming more acquainted with people who I'll be working for/with is one of my main purposes for joining AD. :)

thanx :D

I'm here because I'm trying to improve my ASL and learn more about Deaf culture at the same time. I have several Deaf friends and we communicate pretty well but there's so much more I want to learn. I'm in culinary school and a lot of my classmates are Deaf as well. I think ASL is a beautiful language and I want some advice on learning it, as well as a network of people who can help answer some of my other questions as they come up.

When I was in school, we had to do a weekly presentation about some aspect of Deaf culture. Found AD after doing a search. Lurked for a time and then joined. I'm not on the board as much as I used to be, but still check it out from time to time. Kudos to Alex and mods for all their hard work.

Back