Who has Windows 7?

I need to know what s Rev of your router. DIR-615 Rev. B?
You look under your router for what s Rev.
Mine's just plain DIR-615, no revisions.

Do you have the Windows 7 OS? Which type (Starter, Home Premium, etc.)? Have you had any incompatibility problems? Have you been able to create a Homegroup? How do you like the new OS overall?

I now have an HP PC with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), and a Samsung netbook with Windows 7 Starter. I had to replace my router and scanner because of incompatibility issues. I can't get my Samsung on the wireless network at home, which is driving me crazy. I've spent many hours with various phone tech supports, a visit to Best Buy with the Geeks, and I've checked out the Windows forums. Still no solution. :(

Overall though, I like the W 7. :)

p.s. To Mods: I looked for other threads on this topic in AD so that I wouldn't make a duplicate but I didn't find any. If there is another similar thread, please merge mine into it.
you mentioned that you use d-link. Few months ago, I had issues with settings for netbook and laptop by d-link network, too.

You should try this step by step:
1. Start menu- connect to

2. Choose a connection option-select: Set up a wireless router or access point

3. Set up a wireless router or access point- select: Next

**windows detect any wireless network hardware**

-if windows didnt find any wireless network hardware-

4. Select: Create wireless network setting and save to USB Flash drive.

5. SSID by your nickname of network router then select: next.

6. Help make your network more secure with a passphrase-- dont typing it in blank, select- Show adavnce network secrity options.

7. Show adavnce network secrity options--*security method* you select, and Security key/ Passphrase- your password for router -- then select: next.

8. choose file and print sharing options, just leave it-- select: next.

9. Insert the USB flash drive into this computer- just plug your USB flash drive into USB port on your computer and select the *USB drive for save setting to*. then select: Next.

10. done and enjoy your laptop by network.

thats what I did follow the step by step, and solved it.

I hope this help. :)

My nephew checked out my netbook problem yesterday afternoon. He couldn't resolve it either. We decided that it must be something about how the router is set up. I'll have to contact D-Link support. We also took my netbook to my daughter's house and tried the internet connection from her router. It worked fine. So it must be something wrong with my router. My nephew checked all my connections and settings, and said that I had everything correct. We even re-installed everything. So, it looks like I'll be calling D-Link.

What is model of your netbook?
What OS you use?
Which WPA or WPAII you use from your d-link?

My nephew checked out my netbook problem yesterday afternoon. He couldn't resolve it either. We decided that it must be something about how the router is set up. I'll have to contact D-Link support. We also took my netbook to my daughter's house and tried the internet connection from her router. It worked fine. So it must be something wrong with my router. My nephew checked all my connections and settings, and said that I had everything correct. We even re-installed everything. So, it looks like I'll be calling D-Link.

Maybe your nephew could check out the D-Link router and perhaps update the latest driver or firmware for it?

Maybe your nephew could check out the D-Link router and perhaps update the latest driver or firmware for it?

Her D-Link DIR-615 (No Revision) is old as 2007. No upgrade firmware. It s 1.10 version only.

I now have an HP PC with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), and a Samsung netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

You should not install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on Netbook because too low memory and gobble up hard drive space.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit for 1 year. I was BETA user then got free full verison Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64 bit. No problem with my two laptops.

I did tried on my desktop but not really very good with my old GeForce 4.

Last edited:
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit for 1 year. I was BETA user then got free full verison Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64 bit. No problem with my two laptops.

I did tried on my desktop but not really very good with my old GeForce 4.

You should not install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on Netbook because too low memory and gobble up hard drive space.

I believe that GeForce 5 or below isn't supported by Vista so you have find new graphic card like GeForce 9400 GT if enough for you.

I believe that GeForce 5 or below isn't supported by Vista so you have find new graphic card like GeForce 9400 GT if enough for you.

I had no problem with GeForce 4800 TI and Vista.

I am not hurry to buy new/used Graphic card.

I had no problem with GeForce 4800 TI and Vista.

I am not hurry to buy new/used Graphic card.

Well, it isn't supported by MS so unable to help or fix, only you have do on own.

GeForce 4800 TI is outdated now.

I have GeForce 9800 GTX+, got in 2008 for good price.

you mentioned that you use d-link. Few months ago, I had issues with settings for netbook and laptop by d-link network, too.

You should try this step by step:
1. Start menu- connect to

2. Choose a connection option-select: Set up a wireless router or access point

3. Set up a wireless router or access point- select: Next

**windows detect any wireless network hardware**

-if windows didnt find any wireless network hardware-

4. Select: Create wireless network setting and save to USB Flash drive.

5. SSID by your nickname of network router then select: next.

6. Help make your network more secure with a passphrase-- dont typing it in blank, select- Show adavnce network secrity options.

7. Show adavnce network secrity options--*security method* you select, and Security key/ Passphrase- your password for router -- then select: next.

8. choose file and print sharing options, just leave it-- select: next.

9. Insert the USB flash drive into this computer- just plug your USB flash drive into USB port on your computer and select the *USB drive for save setting to*. then select: Next.

10. done and enjoy your laptop by network.

thats what I did follow the step by step, and solved it.

I hope this help. :)
Thanks but it didn't work for me. I tried your way several times. Each time, it shows that I "successfully" connected to the network. However, the network computers don't show up, and there is no internet access.

I didn't plan on installing Ultimate on the netbook. It has Starter and I wanted to upgrade to Home Premium. I know that I will have to install more memory first. That's something I might do later. Right now, I just want to get internet access.

Thanks but it didn't work for me. I tried your way several times. Each time, it shows that I "successfully" connected to the network. However, the network computers don't show up, and there is no internet access.

can you return router? you should try different brand... like linksys

He checked everything and couldn't solve the problem.

Samsung N130
Windows 7
WPA-Personal

try to disable any wifi security (no WPA, no WAP, nothing) from your router and see if you can connect to it.

I had gotten package of free upgrade Windows 7 Professional DVD for my Dell Desktop from Dell today. I m not ready to install it in it yet.

I have Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. It's awesome! My only issue is that sometimes the Internet is a little more frustrating than it was with Vista. And even that doesn't happen too often.

Back