Which Choices of Communication should Hearing parents use for their implanted child?

How communication method do you think deaf implanted children should use?

• Cued speech and Speech communication a language development tool for deaf children.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sign Language and Speech (Any) (Total Communication)

Votes: 36 94.7%
  • Sign Language Only

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Oral Method without Sign Language.

• I don't care either of the list above

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I thought patients with cochlear implants are given pain medicines and sometimes antibiotics to help with healing and pains?...

Also I heard that some patients will feel temporary dizziness and headaches ..

Yeah I remember that thread Liebling about your son had a bicycle accident, that was scary...

Yes, after contradicta's recent CI surgery, she posted regarding her use of pain medication, as well as dizziness and nausea.

Yes, after contradicta's recent CI surgery, she posted regarding her use of pain medication, as well as dizziness and nausea.

dizzines and nausea most likely was a side effect of medication. especially if it contained codeine.

Fuzzy

I wholeheartedly believe in adding sign language in this process...I've seen many hearing children are learning sign language and it comes with an amazing benefits, but unfortunately, some parents just gave up too soon ...

Welcome ;)

Yes, that's right.

After my experience with my son's head surgery and also experience my friends with CI as well. Yes, their experiences are almost similar. They need medicines to reduce the pain.

Yes I has to agree with you that CI is not an accident.

From what I have observed not just in myself but with many other CI patients, pain medication is usually stopped within about 4-5 days completely. In both my surgeries, after the intial stronger medication immediately after surgery, I was switched to regular panadol (same as tylernol and paracetamol). This is not a strong painkiller and is easily bought here in Australia off the shelf in a supermarket. The pain that I experienced from the surgery was not excruciating - it was more of a dull pain that was gone within a week. I do not experience any headaches as a result of the trauma of the surgery.

I sympathise with your son's accident, but honestly I think a much better comparison for the after effects of surgery is with other CI users such as myself and the others here on AD. We're very happy to share our experiences first hand. If you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

dizzines and nausea most likely was a side effect of medication. especially if it contained codeine.

Fuzzy

I experienced dizziness with my first surgery for 3 weeks and none at all with the second surgery. I think dizziness is often due to the fact that the vestibular system is close to the surgery site and so there will be temporary disturbance in some cases. The dizziness was not severe, I could still go out walking but I just took care with fast head movements e.g. when crossing the road. I chose not to drive a car in that time just to be safe, even though there was no actual restriction on me. The second time around, I could drive a car the day after surgery, which was great.

Speaking for myself, I did have dizziness for a few day but the pain was a bit worse than my dizziness. However neither the dizziness or the pain were bad. Both the pain and the dizziness were on the mild side. They went away after a week.

I've never experienced nausea with codeine. I've taken it for migraines but the codeine was of little help vs the migraine pain. When I have one of those headaches, I may end up throwing up regardless of what meds I take. Thankfully, they're rare nowadays.

Codeine SulfateSide Effects & Drug Interactionsfont sizeAAASIDE EFFECTS
THE MAJOR HAZARDS OF CODEINE, AS OF OTHER NARCOTIC ANALGESICS, ARE RESPIRATORY DEPRESSION AND, TO A LESSER DEGREE, CIRCULATORY DEPRESSION. RESPIRATORY ARREST, SHOCK, AND CARDIAC ARREST HAVE OCCURRED.

The most frequently observed adverse reactions include lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, nausea, vomiting, and sweating. These effects seem to be more prominent in ambulatory patients and in those who are not suffering severe pain. In such individuals, lower doses are advisable. Some adverse reactions may be alleviated in the ambulatory patient if he lies down.

Other adverse reactions include the following:

Central Nervous System — Euphoria, dysphoria, weakness, headache, insomnia, agitation, disorientation, and visual disturbances.

Gastrointestinal — Dr. mouth, anorexia, constipation, and biliary tract spasm.

Cardiovascular — Flushing of the face, bradycardia, palpitation, faintness, and syncope.

Genitourinary— Urinary retention or hesitancy, anti- diuretic effect, and reduced libido and/or potency.

Allergic— Pruritus, urticaria, other skin rashes, edema, and, rarely, hemorrhagic urticaria.

Codeine Sulfate side effects (Codeine) and drug interactions - prescription drugs and medications at RxList

But of course dizzines and nausea can be from surgery as well. very well.

Fuzzy

Are you 100% sure ? Resource ?

well in my case when I was told the side effects of the pain killers used it was from the drs and nurses. Is that good enough? :)

OH and a side effect of the anesthesia can be nausea. But I only got that from my medical staff to. Each time either myself or my child has gone under.

Okay, Mr. Expert, explain this to me.............
MODERATORS PLEASE NOTE THAT JILLY DID NOT CALL CLOGGY BY HIS SCREEN NAME!

Who is jilly?

And, p.s. nor did I call him by his given name, or any variation thereof. Further, cloggy has not requested such. Perhaps you should stick with those posts that are addressed toward you.

LOL... Mr.Expert is fine Jillio..
But, "given name"... what do you mean...???? Is your given name "lovey" or "lovie"....
But again, your not very good at doing what you "preach".
Anyway.. feel free to use "Mr. Expert".

Let's get back on topic "Which Choices of Communication should Hearing parents use for their implanted child?" please. :fingersx: Thank-you.

And the mastiod is_______? Answer: bone.

And the mastoid bone is a part of __________that covers the _______?
Answer: the skull, brain.

Therefore, drilling a hole through the mastoid portion of the _______, is drilling through the larger structure covering the brain known as the______?

Answer: skull, skull.

And the hip bone's connected to thigh bone, the thigh bone's connected to the.....

well in my case when I was told the side effects of the pain killers used it was from the drs and nurses. Is that good enough? :)

OH and a side effect of the anesthesia can be nausea. But I only got that from my medical staff to. Each time either myself or my child has gone under.

Painkillers can cause nausea. However, dizziness can also cause nausea. Anesthesia can cause nausea. Trauma to the head can cause nausea. Removal of bone to create a depression in the skull is considered to be trauma.

And the hip bone's connected to thigh bone, the thigh bone's connected to the.....

Got a CI in your leg, rick? Otherwise, your post is completely ridiculas. Try to focus, here.

I supposed I now want this thread to be lock starting right now, because of lack of respecting from some of you who are not respecting my decision about getting this topic back on track to communication methods.

Moderators please lock this thread, the discussion isn't going no where to the point of this topic.

I supposed I now want this thread to be lock starting right now, because of lack of respecting from some of you who are not respecting my decision about getting this topic back on track to communication methods.

Moderators please lock this thread, the discussion isn't going no where to the point of this topic.
I cannot imagine this was directed at me, because basic nursery-rhymes and songs are VERY important in a childs development. The song that Rich quoted in good humor was just that. Even I know the song, and my nursery-rhimes were in Dutch.

So, R's humoristic post could have been greeded with a smile.... She chose not to....

Sorry to go off-topic...
BTW... bringing humor in the thread, relaxing the athmosphere.... is that "off-topic"??
HAve a look where it really went off-topic.

Back on topic...

You were surprised about my choice.... you expected "speech only" which was not a choice"... (Oral method could be lipreading. Speech can be done without cued speech. So, I missed "speech only". Even had it been there... I would not have chosen it..)
That surprised me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back