Which Choices of Communication should Hearing parents use for their implanted child?

How communication method do you think deaf implanted children should use?

• Cued speech and Speech communication a language development tool for deaf children.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sign Language and Speech (Any) (Total Communication)

Votes: 36 94.7%
  • Sign Language Only

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Oral Method without Sign Language.

• I don't care either of the list above

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which method of communication(s) do you think is or are best for those who are deaf children with cochlear implant and stated your reason why.

Also vote on poll as well. ;)

Respect while discussing this topic. ;)

If I have a deaf child, I would never implant my child, only offer the hearing aids if my child desire to hear.

But this is about what if I was a hearing parents that have a implanted deaf child, I would pick BOTH sign language and speaking. As far as the child raise, he/she will know which he/she prefer to speak through, maybe he/she prefer sign language or maybe speaking. I wouldn't force my implanted child to only speak, it will make the child feel that I don't give him/her any respect about his/her disability, for even more, the implanted deaf children are the MOST target being bullied by deaf children that don't have implants. I would prefer to have my child to able to talk and sign same time so that he/she can get along with both of the world.

Multi-languages speakers are always the better :)

Sign would be native language of a deaf baby.. the choice of raising the child in oral environment is the second way and up to the parents's decision.

so

Sign Language and Speech (Any) (Total Communication) ;)

Oral and Sign Language....:D

If I have a deaf child, I would never implant my child, only offer the hearing aids if my child desire to hear.

But this is about what if I was a hearing parents that have a implanted deaf child, I would pick BOTH sign language and speaking. As far as the child raise, he/she will know which he/she prefer to speak through, maybe he/she prefer sign language or maybe speaking. I wouldn't force my implanted child to only speak, it will make the child feel that I don't give him/her any respect about his/her disability, for even more, the implanted deaf children are the MOST target being bullied by deaf children that don't have implants. I would prefer to have my child to able to talk and sign same time so that he/she can get along with both of the world.

I did not know enough about cued speech to make assessment and will not vote. I believe that a child should wear hearing aids if she or he can benefit from it. Sounds like you are saying that deaf kids from the deaf "community" are picking on other deaf kids that have a CI implant.

I believe that a child should wear hearing aids if she or he can benefit from it. Sounds like you are saying that deaf kids from the deaf "community" are picking on other deaf kids that have a CI implant.

I agreed....

Total communication... the child is not going to pick up on speech right away, so it makes sense to use sign language to communicate with the child, and also work with him/her on speech, but continue to use the signs.

What would you do if your child will NOT benefit from a hearing aid?

I voted "sign and speech" - since Cherie thinks I don't show support for sign, I just want to show that I DO.

Sign and speech...like neecy who wants to show that she supports signing, I want to show that I support having speech since some ADers think I am against having speech along with signing.

Hope this thread wil clear up any misunderstandings.

I voted "sign and speech" - since Cherie thinks I don't show support for sign, I just want to show that I DO.

Fair enough. ;) I gonna bookmark this post in case I might need to use it later. j/k :giggle:

I cannot say how proud I am to see that most of you choose both speech and sign. I am very proud. ;)

It depends on the age at which the child was implanted, their support system, educational resources, and their abilities - among other things.

I believe both speech and sign language should work together.

It depends on the age at which the child was implanted, their support system, educational resources, and their abilities - among other things.

Ok, Tell me what have you done for your son from the begin to the present? When I mean what you've done, What communication method (s) have you use at the begin and to the present with your son.

I did not know enough about cued speech to make assessment and will not vote. I believe that a child should wear hearing aids if she or he can benefit from it. Sounds like you are saying that deaf kids from the deaf "community" are picking on other deaf kids that have a CI implant.

First of all, I put effort on my child to wear the HA is my own opinion, but at second paragraph, I am pretending to be a parents of implanted deaf children. Also those deaf children with CI that don't know how to sign was bullied by those are deaf that knows sign is the truth. For example, one girl during my high school, she have the CI and don't know how to sign. She really want to learn sign, so she came to the deafies group and I have been hearing lot of deaf people say bad things about her just like she is other hearing person.

What would you do if your child will NOT benefit from a hearing aid?

If my child don't benefit from a hearing aids, then I refuse to have CI for her/him and raise her/him in the deaf lifestyle, but being as a parents who desire a child to hear then I would go ahead to get CI.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back