Which Choices of Communication should Hearing parents use for their implanted child?

How communication method do you think deaf implanted children should use?

• Cued speech and Speech communication a language development tool for deaf children.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sign Language and Speech (Any) (Total Communication)

Votes: 36 94.7%
  • Sign Language Only

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Oral Method without Sign Language.

• I don't care either of the list above

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Maria
Hey Fuzzy - you need to stop jumpin' on her back for her statement directly to someone else. She is talkin' to me, not you. Ok ? You need to back off for awhile and give some ADers some slack.

I know that Jillio DID stated that all along. She wasn't makin' a mistake.

I agree, it getting really tiresome....I'm trying to learn something here but I can't when she intend to jump in and making it more diffcult for me to understand what Cloggy and Jillio are trying to say in their posts...

Yes, I agree too.

I want to see both sides between Jillio and Cloggy's posts because it help me to understand what they both are trying to convince us in their posts. It end mess up with someone's angry and disrespect words...

Which method of communication(s) do you think is or are best for those who are deaf children with cochlear implant and stated your reason why.

I voted for total communication, since parents obviously want the child with CI to live in the hearing world... but I said sign language too because I don't want the kid with CI to have a hard time being in the deaf world later on if there was no knowledge of sign language beforehand, if she or he chose to be in deaf world later on, and it would be good for the parents to be involved in the sign language aspect too.

I see it this way.. if the parents do the CI and leave sign language out of the picture completely (they do not learn sign language and do not encourage the kid to learn it), the kid may choose eventually to interact in the deaf community and learn sign language.. and parents may not understand this part in the kid's life (no one can stay a child forever), and get left out somehow.

Yes, that's an exactly why I support it.

Boy you guys are confusing me more and more :dizzy:, I have only one question, which is it? drilling through the skull or drilling on the outside of the skull? ...

I questioned Cloggy in my post #849 at Hearies view .... thread few days ago. "The surgeon drill into the skull bone behind the ear. Thats' what I know from the professor at parental conference... Is it wrong?" Nobody answer my question...

I found the link from websites... this link support my few days old question..
Procedure of Cochlear Implant

The implant candidate is at first put under anesthesia. The hair in the area behind the ear, where the surgery for Cochlear Implants is to be done, is shaved off. Then, an incision is made and the skin and tissue flap is lifted to make it easier to drill into the skull bone behind the ear. Next, in the drilled out area, the receiver is placed and an electrode array is inserted into the cochlea. At the end of the Cochlear Implant surgery, the area is stitched and the head is bandaged

Cochlear Implant, Cochlear Implant Surgery, Cochlear Implant Surgery in India, Procedure of Cochlear Implant, Side Effects of Cochlear Implant, Cochlear Implant at Apollo Hospital

I'll admit I'm VERY behind the curve when it comes to knowledge about cochlear implantation surgery... but isn't a hole drilled into the mastoid bone of the skull? Thus, doesn't that mean that a hole IS drilled into the skull?

HumanMastoid1.gif

Plus, in this article: Cochlear Implant Surgery, they explain:

Now I'm confused...

Thank you for post this picture... Yes it make sense... Jillio is correct... this support my previous questions at other thread as well.

I'll admit I'm VERY behind the curve when it comes to knowledge about cochlear implantation surgery... but isn't a hole drilled into the mastoid bone of the skull? Thus, doesn't that mean that a hole IS drilled into the skull?

The mastoid bone is part of the temporal bone, so part of the cranium, cranium is part of the skull, so in the end yes it's drilled into a skull.

BCSO Identification - Skeletal System - Lateral Answers

Fuzzy

I don't know who told you the brain doesn't feel pain, but you need to check your info.

And as far as the incision goes, it cuts not just through skin, as in a cutting board accidnet, but through muscle, as well.

*nodding agreement* I was puzzled over her comment. I know what pain is about...

Let me share about my son's head surgery. I experienced his pain after bicycle accident at 2 years ago. I created a thread about him somewhere here at 2 years ago. I am sure some ADers remember it.

My son had a 1 cm deep head impression fracture with strong splintered. They cut around over 2 cm defect skull bone and then implanted plastic (polymethyl) metacrylate, PMMA and locked the bone defect of Danny´s skull with an approx. size of €2 coin.

*nodding agreement* I was puzzled over her comment. I know what pain is about...

Let me share about my son's head surgery. I experienced his pain after bicycle accident at 2 years ago. I created a thread about him somewhere here at 2 years ago. I am sure some ADers remember it.

My son had a 1 cm deep head impression fracture with strong splintered. They cut around over 2 cm defect skull bone and then implanted plastic (polymethyl) metacrylate, PMMA and locked the bone defect of Danny´s skull with an approx. size of €2 coin.

How does he feel when he woke up ? Any symptoms afterwards such as pain, vomittin', nausea and etc., etc. for a few or several days ? Confused ?

I am glad your son is okay now. Wheeew !

How does he feel when he woke up ? Any symptoms afterwards such as pain, vomittin', nausea and etc., etc. for a few or several days ? Confused ?

I am glad your son is okay now. Wheeew !

Yes, he slept all the day/night after head surgery and also vomit with pain as well. 2 days after head surgery he goes well and fit.

2 years after head surgery, he still has pain with headaches time to time. The professor did told us that my son will have headache but not severe/frequently. He use sport/execrise to lack of his headache pain which is good.

yeah, I am releived that he is okay.... but he is still sport with bicycle... He wore helmut which is great.

Yes, he slept all the day/night after head surgery and also vomit with pain as well. 2 days after head surgery he goes well and fit.

2 years after head surgery, he still has pain with headaches time to time. The professor did told us that my son will have headache but not severe/frequently. He use sport/execrise to lack of his headache pain which is good.

yeah, I am releived that he is okay.... but he is still sport with bicycle... He wore helmut which is great.

Thanks for sharin' this with ADers here. I am hopin' that they can learn somethin' about your son's experiences after head surgery. I suppose it is similiar with children's experiences after surgery with CI. There's one difference here - CI is not an accident.

Yeah, I thought patients with cochlear implants are given pain medicines and sometimes antibiotics to help with healing and pains?...

Also I heard that some patients will feel temporary dizziness and headaches ..

Yeah I remember that thread Liebling about your son had a bicycle accident, that was scary...

Thanks for sharin' this with ADers here. I am hopin' that they can learn somethin' about your son's experiences after head surgery. I suppose it is similiar with children's experiences after surgery with CI. There's one difference here - CI is not an accident.

Welcome ;)

Yes, that's right.

After my experience with my son's head surgery and also experience my friends with CI as well. Yes, their experiences are almost similar. They need medicines to reduce the pain.

Yes I has to agree with you that CI is not an accident.

Yeah, I thought patients with cochlear implants are given pain medicines and sometimes antibiotics to help with healing and pains?...

Yeah I remember that thread Liebling about your son had a bicycle accident, that was scary...

Yes, many CI users received medicines to reduce their pain, some not...

Yes it's correct about dizziness and headaches. My son still has it sometimes and also some CI users as well.

It's good that you remember my thread at 2 years ago.

Yep that's what I've heard too, I've heard about having nausea, sore throat from the breathing tube that used during anesthesia.

Yes, many CI users received medicines to reduce their pain, some not...

Yes it's correct about dizziness and headaches. My son still has it sometimes and also some CI users as well.

It's good that you remember my thread at 2 years ago.

I had a little dizziness but hardly any pain - more a "pressure" in the incision area. All I took was Motrin. I was up and about the next day (had to take a ferry trip back home) and after that everything was smooth sailing!!! The only bad thing was the ITCHING inside while everything healed and not being able to scratch!! LOL

The mastoid bone is part of the temporal bone, so part of the cranium, cranium is part of the skull, so in the end yes it's drilled into a skull.

BCSO Identification - Skeletal System - Lateral Answers

Fuzzy

Actually, the term skull is an all inclusive term that refers to the entire bony structure that covers the brain. The others are subdivides which categoriezes which part of the brain is covered in order to located specifically an area in the bony structure.

And thank you....as I said, it is drilled into the skull.

MODERATORS PLEASE NOTE THAT JILLY DID NOT CALL CLOGGY BY HIS SCREEN NAME!

Who is jilly?

And, p.s. nor did I call him by his given name, or any variation thereof. Further, cloggy has not requested such. Perhaps you should stick with those posts that are addressed toward you.

As is usually the case, the argument has been reduced to semantics. For those of us who are not doctors, when we refer to the skull we usually are referring to the hard bone in our heads that encases and protects the brain. The mastoid bone which is a part of the lower skull is that bump you can actually feel right behind your ears. It is not a hard solid bone such as the skull encasing your brain but rather a honeycombed bone. It is through that bone, the mastoid, that a hole is drilled, better yet, here is a very good description of the cochlear implant surgery from the University of Miami's website:

Cochlear implant surgery lasts about two hours and is performed while the patient is under general anesthesia. Some conditions that may affect the cochlea, such as cochlear ossification (bony growth) or cochlear abnormalities may lengthen the time of surgery. Prior to surgery, a small portion of hair is shaved around the ear to be implanted. A small seat is created in the mastoid bone to hold the receiver/stimulator and protect it. The surgeon drills through the mastoid bone to the inner ear. The electrode array is then inserted into the cochlea. The receiver/stimulator is secured to the skull, and the incision is closed with stitches. Typically, patients return home the day of surgery.

As usual, the anti-ci crowd uses the semantical argument as a scare tactic. From Harlan Lane incorrectly calling cochlear implant surgery "brain surgery" on '60 Minutes' to posters on this forum repeatedly using terms such as "drilling a hole in your skull" or "carving up your skull", they are attempting to create the misimpression that the hole is through the hard bone, which we commonly call the skull, into a person's brain when that is completely erroneous and misleading.

It is through the mastoid folks, plain and simple. Although for most of you anti-ciers you really have nothing to fear for as you repeatedly demonstrate through your posts, even if a surgeon was to drill through your skulls, there is nothing in there for him to damage!
Rick

And the mastiod is_______? Answer: bone.

And the mastoid bone is a part of __________that covers the _______?
Answer: the skull, brain.

Therefore, drilling a hole through the mastoid portion of the _______, is drilling through the larger structure covering the brain known as the______?

Answer: skull, skull.

actually, the brain tissue itself doesn't feel pain - but IN the brain are located nerve receptors, but that's a little different.
If you open the skull and poke at the pinky "curly" mass, you won't feel a thing. The surgeon can cut any piece of your brain without anesthesia, and you won't feel a thing either.

But if you pinch your body anywhere your brain will receive, process and send signal back to the site.

Well maybe not exactly indeed, but still the skin behind the ear over mastoid bone is pretty thin, hardly any fat. The cut is not deep.
Although I would still argue if such a cut is impossible in bizzare chopping board accident...

Fuzzy

The mastoid is covered by muscle.

I am sorry about Danny's accident, but glad to know that he is better. I hope that he is protecting the weakened area in his skull with a helmet now when he bikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back