What's your dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Popeye's chicken with red beans and rice after a long day babysitting! Tired!

I just had eaten two turkey burgers without buns! :D

Mmm sounds delicious. Harvard? Is that a kind of beet or a recipe?

It is a recipe. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, pinch of cloves, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in small saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring with a wisk to break up cornstarch. Boil until thick. Remove from heat, add 1 can of slice beets (drained) and let stand for 30 minutes. Before serving, bring back to simmer, add 1 tablespoon of butter and stir to combine.

These have a sweet and sour taste that goes really well with the earthy taste of the beets.

Tonight was my dad's special pork chops, potatoes w/ herbs & carrots.

Fish and shrimp, fried, baked potato, slaw and tea. mmmm

Jillio, that sounds like the usual yummy harvard beet recipe. Did you ever try adding 3 whole cloves and a pinch of cinnamon? Do remove the cloves before serving. Serve them with orange or lemon wedges. (my mamas recipe) She would also serve with the greens from fresh beets if we were lucky enought to have them. Our farmers market has had amazing beets of all colors and sizes.

Beet power!

Those Harvard beets sound mighty good. I like that combining opposite flavors sounds perfect for beets. Never really thought about a wide variety of them? Like squash? All different flavors too? Always figured a beet is a beet is a beet... smiles, those things are one powerhouse root.

I dont notice much flavor difference, just sweetness. The colors range from golden to deepest red/purple. Some are like eyes iris inside with radiating hues of gold and red. Very pretty when chilled and added to salads. Nice to serve plain on a bed of lettuce, chilled.
I just boil water, drop in the beets, washed and whole, with a dash of vinegar (I think it helps keep the color) and cook them until they are tender. They are then plunged into icy water to stop the cooking. The peel comes away very easily. They can then be cut into slices or dice or whatever you wish. Such as lovely slices for good harvard beets or simply tossed with your favorite salad. Silly me likes them just plain.

If you like, beets can be grown easily, and here is a link with pretty pictures so that you can see colors

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/search.aspx?scommand=search&search=beets

Chicken breast and corn on the cob. And dessert was fudge covered Ritz.

Ritz as in Ritz crackers? I've never heard of fudge being covered in Ritz crackers. Is it really good? I bet it's the salt that gives it the extra taste.

It is a new item in the store. Boxes of Ritz crackers cover in fudge.

Kind of like graham crackers cover with chocolate. They were really good.

Thanks

Thanks LDNanna I got a kick out of seeing the variety. Beets grow well up here.
I like the idea of varying from the same ol' same ol' beets I have eaten all my life. They are amazingly nutricious little critters.

Tonight will probably be Campbells soup, and Kraft mac and cheese. And juice.

sometimes I like beets in my salad...did u know there was orange beets?

Tonight, one of my fav's - fish, and salad and beans-

Fish and shrimp, fried, baked potato, slaw and tea. mmmm

Jillio, that sounds like the usual yummy harvard beet recipe. Did you ever try adding 3 whole cloves and a pinch of cinnamon? Do remove the cloves before serving. Serve them with orange or lemon wedges. (my mamas recipe) She would also serve with the greens from fresh beets if we were lucky enought to have them. Our farmers market has had amazing beets of all colors and sizes.

I'll have to try that. I have a recipe for orange beet salad that has mandarin oranges in it, and orange juice in the dressing. It is yummy, too. I really like beets, and they are so full of vitamins and minerals.

I will look for these orange beets...

how about AD cook book?

I will look for these orange beets...

how about AD cook book?

I believe that was decided we might have problems since so many of our good recipes are out of already published books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back