What's your dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow! I love that thing and want one. We just keep our common rice in a zipping burlap bag, and the more rare ones in glass jars.

:lol: Me too. Only thing is... does it break down?

And where the hell I find it in real life? :lol:

I just found it - this is exactly what we have (but different color)

31CuWDMGmYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

those 3 buttons are for portion size. For example - 1 is for 1-person size. 2 is for 2-persons size. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/77-pound-Rice-Dispenser-Star-International/dp/B001LGB1FA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255927486&sr=8-8[/ame]

I have bookmarked and told my husband that this is what he should give me for the holidays this year!!

:lol: just so you know - this storage's capacity is 77 lbs. It's not suitable for people who do not eat rice often. the glass jar is good enough. My mom use those for other grains to be mixed with rice.

I have measuring cup or spoon which has units on it, but if I didn't have that I wouldn't know. I don't picture them in my head or "know" them. If hubby wants to tell me how big something is, or how tall, or how far away from wall to put something, for example, he shows me with his hands, and that's how I ask at restaurant <"how big salad?" then server says - "fits on such-and-such size plate" well, I say "show me with your hands".
But I very rarely follow recipes. Usually it's - a bissel <Yiddish -little> of this, bissel of that....why I don't bake.

I aplogize, dogmon. I completely misunderstood what you were trying to tell me!

Smiles... Jillio... now I am picturing this tiny woman with this big cast iron cookware... that is another thing about cast iron I like .. there is a kind of homy industrial strength stability about it... like history in the kitchen.. and they cook so well... I used to have a big stewpot that was cast iron with enamel over it.. Seemed like stew tasted some better cooked in it. I was just remembering my Dad, he liked to cook and like everything when he did it there was somehow some extra going on... smiles... we kids witnessed him creating an amazing greasefire one time ... lots of flames and drama with end scene of
Dad hurling the flaming skillet off the porch into a snowbank and the consequent sizzling steam cloud and the heavy pan melting into the snow. I sure miss that crazy guy.

LOL, I have to lift my skillets with 2 hands! No kidding!

Jillio, I dont have the patience to type out all the stuff from the mag, but here is the magazine website that has great detail about bread from an iron dutch oven. It is so tasty with a good crisp fine crust and crumb. The aroma is very heady. Hope you like it.

Easy, No Knead Crusty Bread

Note that the bottom may scorch unless you set the pot on a stone or brick.

Thank you very much, LDnana. That was very thoughtful of you!

:lol: just so you know - this storage's capacity is 77 lbs. It's not suitable for people who do not eat rice often. the glass jar is good enough. My mom use those for other grains to be mixed with rice.

Weirdly enough, the one I have bookmarked is just like that one, but it is 22lbs.

It should be perfect for us.

And I am probably having Chunky Sirloin Burger soup with a glass of milk for dinner tonight. (just so I stay on topic)

:lol:

In Chinatown, they sell them in different bag sizes:

2lbs, 10lbs, 20lbs and 40lbs.'

At about 1 cup of uncooked rice per meal... 3-5 meals a day... it's easy to go through a 40lbs bag in about a month and a half.

I buy 30 lbs of Batsami rice at a time. With just me, and a few friends to cook for occasionally, it lasts me a year.

I once went on a week's wagon train trip and just about every meal was from dutch oven cooking, even cakes....

I would like to know more about your wagon train trip -

Well, when you're making borscht, don't forget to make sure you have cream in the fridge!

Here is my kommstborscht... albeit fell short of successful:

10532_1124876294158_1594656448_30317318_1660249_n.jpg

Beef chuck, chopped cabbage, onions, carrots, diced potatoes, cayenne pepper, paprika, chili pepper, dill weed, thyme, black pepper, parsley and salt.

Except... I forgot to add the cream before eating it... because I didn't have any cream... so it was watery!

I once went on a week's wagon train trip and just about every meal was from dutch oven cooking, even cakes....

Yes, that is how the Dutch oven came about. It was origninally intended to be used inside the fireplace on top of the embers.

Cabbage rolls made of ground pork, baked in cream of mushroom and tomato sauce!

WIll take a picture and post it once it's done. :P

I love my Dutch oven though... I need to get a cast iron one someday... all I have right now is a ceramic one.

Made Chicken Marsula with whole wheat rotoni and fresh spinach salad. Yummy!!!

1.3 lbs T-bone steak + saunted onions + rice.... i'm done for rest of the night

10532_1125028537964_1594656448_30317713_1969887_n.jpg

Holubchi
- A Dutch oven or cast-iron casserole dish

- 2lbs of lean ground meat (I used 1lbs of lean beef, and 1lbs of lean chicken for this one)
- 1 cup of uncooked long-grain rice (I used Thai jasmine rice)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large head of cabbage
- A can or jar of pasta sauce, tomato sauce or tomato juice (I used tomato sauce, mom traditionally did it with tomato juice)
- Seasoning and herbs (I used parsley, black pepper, cinnamon and thyme)
- 1 can of cream of mushroon, or 2 tablespoon of sour cream (optional)

- Boil rice
- Sauté onions until golden brown in a frying pan
- Remove frying pan from stove
- Add ground meat to frying pan (no heat)
- Season
- Mix up the seasoning, meat and onions
- Boil cabbage in a separate pot until tender and pliable (or take cabbage out of the freezer, freezing the cabbage will have the same effect as boiling it)
- Remove rice from heat once done
- Add the meat to the rice pot after rice is done; mix it up
- Peel the cabbage leaves gently from the core
- Remove the hard non-pliable part of the cabbage leaves
- Take a large spoonful of the meat and rice mixture, place in middle of the cabbage leaf
- Fold side, then stem, then top leaf
- Mix the tomato sauce or juice with cream of mushroom or sour cream
- Add a thin layer of tomato sauce or tomato juice to the Dutch oven or casserole dish
- Place folded cabbage rolls in the Dutch oven
- Add more tomato sauce or tomato juice for a second layer of cabbage rolls
- Place a second layer of cabbage rolls
- Cover the top layer with more tomato juice or sauce
- Cover with a lid, or if you don't have a lid, use leftover cabbage leaves to protect the rolls from drying out (I added a layer of sliced mushrooms instead of cabbage leaves since the Dutch oven has a lid)
- Bake at 350F for an hour

Easy Peachy.

I don't really bother browning the meat when it has the same taste after an hour of baking it. If you do brown the meat, then it cut down the baking time to about half an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back