What's your dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today..we are having Irish stew! :D
Don't ask me how you make it. All I know is, I sit
in the kitchen and it arrives in a big bowl!

Today..we are having Irish stew! :D
Don't ask me how you make it. All I know is, I sit
in the kitchen and it arrives in a big bowl!

What is in a big bowl? :lol:

Just ate a mac and cheese for dinner.

a paradox in food, sally.....:giggle:

chocolate cake and onions......

butter pecan ice cream and broccoli...

donut and swiss chard.......

u gave me an idea, inspirabull, about the mustard! I will try it!

I don't know what 2lbs is but where do you get the big bag of beans, jillio?

2 pounds. I get them at Kroger or Save-A-Lot. Save-A-Lot is usually about 30 cents cheaper, but it is more out of my way.

Dogmom, Oh wow, tofu salad is soooo good. We do ours with dill, curry, Nayonaise, dijon and tiny bit of chopped onion in whole wheat pita with baby greens. (mmm)

Tonight was all 50's food. We did roasted vegetables, meatloaf, salad and cake. (it was halloween kitty litter cake, looks gross, tasted amazing) We also had my hubbys good raspberry tea. I am so full (groan).

Loghead, my grandmom used to make me fried egg and friend bologna sandwiched for breakfast. I still like them. I remember you once had hamhocks that you frowned about, I take it that you live in the south with menus like this?

Jillio, some of the cast iron in my cupboard is older than me. No, nothing sticks, and it is a joy to use. The pans vary in size from "just us" to "Sherman's army". The grill left with the last daughter and it is missed. The electric grill is nice but just not the same. I use my dutch oven to bake Irish soda bread and sour dough. I got the idea from a magazine, it works so well.

Yes, 3 of the skillets I have belonged to my mother. She instilled the love of cooking in cast iron in me! I make sour dough bread once a week or so. I got a starter from one of my professors a couple of years ago, but I have never baked it in my Dutch oven. I will have to try that. I'm due to make a loaf in a couple of days!

Yes, 3 of the skillets I have belonged to my mother. She instilled the love of cooking in cast iron in me! I make sour dough bread once a week or so. I got a starter from one of my professors a couple of years ago, but I have never baked it in my Dutch oven. I will have to try that. I'm due to make a loaf in a couple of days!

My husband makes sourdough bread and occasionally uses our crockpot for that purpose. I definitely prefer it baked on a stone sprinkled with cornmeal.

From the crockpot, it is more like Swedish rusk and needs to be turned or you get one side blackened.

My husband makes sourdough bread and occasionally uses our crockpot for that purpose. I definitely prefer it baked on a stone sprinkled with cornmeal.

From the crockpot, it is more like Swedish rusk and needs to be turned or you get one side blackened.

I like to use the stone and cornmeal, too. It gives a great texture to the crust. I tried a cake recipe in the crockpot several years ago, and wasn't pleased at all with the way it turned out, so I steer away from baking in the crock pot. The cake tasted okay, but it was more like a steamed pudding than a cake in texture.

I like to use the stone and cornmeal, too. It gives a great texture to the crust. I tried a cake recipe in the crockpot several years ago, and wasn't pleased at all with the way it turned out, so I steer away from baking in the crock pot. The cake tasted okay, but it was more like a steamed pudding than a cake in texture.

Yes, I agree. But he likes to try a lot of different things. Opposites attract! :lol:

:ty: jillio, appreciate your response...still don't know from 2 pounds. I have no idea of feet or inches or pounds or anything like that.
:)

sourdough bread is one of my favorites, Bott!

:ty: jillio, appreciate your response...still don't know from 2 pounds. I have no idea of feet or inches or pounds or anything like that.
:)

sourdough bread is one of my favorites, Bott!

.9072 killograms? I thought you meant you didn't understand my abbreviation.:P

Smiles... Jillio... now I am picturing this tiny woman with this big cast iron cookware... that is another thing about cast iron I like .. there is a kind of homy industrial strength stability about it... like history in the kitchen.. and they cook so well... I used to have a big stewpot that was cast iron with enamel over it.. Seemed like stew tasted some better cooked in it. I was just remembering my Dad, he liked to cook and like everything when he did it there was somehow some extra going on... smiles... we kids witnessed him creating an amazing greasefire one time ... lots of flames and drama with end scene of
Dad hurling the flaming skillet off the porch into a snowbank and the consequent sizzling steam cloud and the heavy pan melting into the snow. I sure miss that crazy guy.

Jillio, I dont have the patience to type out all the stuff from the mag, but here is the magazine website that has great detail about bread from an iron dutch oven. It is so tasty with a good crisp fine crust and crumb. The aroma is very heady. Hope you like it.

Easy, No Knead Crusty Bread

Note that the bottom may scorch unless you set the pot on a stone or brick.

2 plates of lasagna and 2 large cups of Sprite. HUNGRY MAN STYLE! :mad2:

Tonight we had a big variety. We had ham, perogies dipped in sour cream, creamed corn and baguettes dipped in garlic vinagarette sauce. :)

BK burgers n fries, hubby was replacing the water heater. Poor guy. I would have made him a nice dinner, but water is off for the duration.

LDNanna, I want to try that tofu salad recipe you brought up!

am sorry, Jillio, I understood the abbreviation but have no visual or otherwise concept of 2 pounds, or .9072 kilograms or whatever. Same as I don't know what a gallon is, if someone tells me it's "such and such feet away", that means nothing to me, I often don't read non-digital watches well, don't understand rulers......

I had black bean salad and soup and green tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back