What's your dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogmom, I sent you the recipe so I would not take up space on the thread. Tofu salad is great. Even my west Texas friends love it. I had to "trick" one son into trying it, he was very much against tofu (he called it "toe food")until he tried it. I also sent the name of the marvelous recipe book the recipe came from. Every vegetarian should try this one. It is great. I also like Burgers 'n Fries 'n Cinnamon Buns by Bobbie Hinman.

:wave:got it, LDNanna! :ty:also for book reference:D

But I must ask curiously, if a pound, kilo, cup, inch or measurements mean nothing to you, how can you follow a recipe?

unit conversion? :dunno:

Jillio already did it for 2 pounds and dogmom said it meant nothing to her.

So it would seem impossible for her to cook. I am very curious to find out how she does it.

I have measuring cup or spoon which has units on it, but if I didn't have that I wouldn't know. I don't picture them in my head or "know" them. If hubby wants to tell me how big something is, or how tall, or how far away from wall to put something, for example, he shows me with his hands, and that's how I ask at restaurant <"how big salad?" then server says - "fits on such-and-such size plate" well, I say "show me with your hands".
But I very rarely follow recipes. Usually it's - a bissel <Yiddish -little> of this, bissel of that....why I don't bake.

Jillio already did it for 2 pounds and dogmom said it meant nothing to her.

So it would seem impossible for her to cook. I am very curious to find out how she does it.

oh yea - Sounds like dogmon is kinda like me. it is hard to visualize what the measurement is like unless we're shown the actual thing.

2 lbs of bean. I don't know what 2 lbs of bean is like. Is it a large bag of beans? or a small bag of beans? and of course.. the only way to know is to go to store and measure it yourself with the store-provided weight scale. Souggy mentioned that he eats about 20-30 lbs of rice every month. I don't know what's 20-30 lbs of rice is like but I know it's much less than what typical Asian eats :lol:

I have measuring cup or spoon which has units on it, but if I didn't have that I wouldn't know. I don't picture them in my head or "know" them. If hubby wants to tell me how big something is, or how tall, or how far away from wall to put something, for example, he shows me with his hands, and that's how I ask at restaurant <"how big salad?" then server says - "fits on such-and-such size plate" well, I say "show me with your hands".
But I very rarely follow recipes. Usually it's - a bissel <Yiddish -little> of this, bissel of that....why I don't bake.

Interesting. I could pour the amount of a teaspoon or any increment into my hand. No need at all for me to measure.

And I absolutely can bake cakes, bread, etc. that way.

:hmm: Twilight Zone= Exact Opposites.

oh yea - Sounds like dogmon is kinda like me. it is hard to visualize what the measurement is like unless we're shown the actual thing.

2 lbs of bean. I don't know what 2 lbs of bean is like. Is it a large bag of beans? or a small bag of beans? and of course.. the only way to know is to go to store and measure it yourself with the store-provided weight scale. Souggy mentioned that he eats about 20-30 lbs of rice every month. I don't know what's 20-30 lbs of rice is like but I know it's much less than what typical Asian eats :lol:

Wow! Two of you. And as for Souggy 30 pounds of raw rice cooked adds up to quite a bit more. That is a lot of rice. I am a major consumer and even own Cuisinart rice cooker. :giggle:

:lol:

In Chinatown, they sell them in different bag sizes:

2lbs, 10lbs, 20lbs and 40lbs.'

At about 1 cup of uncooked rice per meal... 3-5 meals a day... it's easy to go through a 40lbs bag in about a month and a half.

In Chinatown, they sell them in different bag sizes:

2lbs, 10lbs, 20lbs and 40lbs.'

At about 1 cup of uncooked rice per meal... 3-5 meals a day... it's easy to go through a 40lbs bag in about a month and a half.

I will ask my mom in a moment. I do consume average about 2 bowls of rice per day.

lol she doesn't know. she doesn't keep track of it. she just buy a big bag of rice when it's low in supply.

lol she doesn't know. she doesn't keep track of it. she just buy a big bag of rice when it's low in supply.

Right... she's old enough not to have to worry about pinching every last money while going to college.

Typical mom! Why couldn't she keep statistics on your eating patterns. :mad2:

I love that type of trivia.

Typical mom! Why couldn't she keep statistics on your eating patterns. :mad2:

I love that type of trivia.

:laugh2: poor mom. she has to restock the fridge every week. I eat quite a heavy amount of food. She's feeding 4 mouths - including my dog and herself :giggle:

Right... she's old enough not to have to worry about pinching every last money while going to college.

rice is the cheapest food you can get. and the most versatile food as well. That's why soldiers carried rice balls wrapped with handkerchief during Korean war. They also throw one giant bowl of rice to POWs and they fight over it.

:lol: I know every Asian family I visited keep rice in 5 gallon buckets. :lol:

I need to get around to getting a rice cooker though.

:lol: I know every Asian family I visited keep rice in 5 gallon buckets. :lol:

I need to get around to getting a rice cooker though.

5-gallons bucket? My mom would never do that, just me or my brother :lol: She keeps it in this rice storage device (see pix below - not the same but similar)

128151_bu.jpg

You press down the button and you can feel/hear the rice falling down to the thing at the very bottom of this device. then you pull it out and pour it to rice cooker or whatever.

I know - it looks like a computer tower, eh? :lol: btw - how do you cook rice? the ghetto way?

5-gallons bucket? My mom would never do that, just me or my brother :lol: She keeps it in this rice storage device (see pix below - not the same but similar)

128151_bu.jpg

You press down the button and you can feel/hear the rice falling down to the thing at the very bottom of this device. then you pull it out and pour it to rice cooker or whatever.

I know - it looks like a computer tower, eh? :lol: btw - how do you cook rice? the ghetto way?

Neat!

Ghetto way... heh. There's two way for me to do it...

Using a pot full of water, then add rice. or the Italian way (add water as the rice cook.) :P If it help... I use a bamboo lid!

Sometimes when I have sticky rice, I will do it the Lao/Cambodian-style... which is put a cup of rice in those bamboo pots and steam it!

:rofl:

Now I made myself hungry and want to fry up some risotto... only I forgot to buy cooking oils.

128151_bu.jpg

Holy cow! I love that thing and want one. We just keep our common rice in a zipping burlap bag, and the more rare ones in glass jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back