What would you do if no Captions are avaliable for you during school?

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
My school has...some DVDs and videos that works only on VHS.. But most of the time whenever I watch some videos or DVDs at school for school education purposes, The captions are not available. And I would have to try and write stuff down for notes from the video.

Most of the times Teachers aren't trying to put up captions for me. Like one time a teacher would look at the DVD setting and see if they have captions, if not they'll just go ahead and play the movie. And well, my so-called, annoying interpreter would try and put the captions on for me. She would keep trying for about 10 minutes, annoying me and wasting our class time. I would keep thinking: "The captions aren't going to show up. just sit your butt down and stop embarressing me." Sometimes my interpreter doesn't have a clue that there are no captions or there are captions.

So...what is another alternate that you guys do to keep up with school if there is no captions available?? I want things to improve for me NEXT YEAR when i get back to school. June 3rd is our last day of school. And I want to try and give suggestions to my parents on how we can improve things for me to get my needs better and that has attention on.

During all my years of interpreting in public elementary and secondary schools, college, and job sites, I could count on one hand the number of films that were captioned. It's a disgrace.

The school policy should be if the film isn't captioned, and a transcript isn't available, then the material covered in the film isn't testable.

The time for your school terp to take action is prior to a film being shown, in private with the teacher or media supervisor. Fumbling around during class is unsat and unprofessional.

I grew up watching those educational videos without captioning and nobody even bothered to inquire if I knew what they were saying. One time, I fell asleep and ended up with a detention slip. I am telling u...people who work in public schools without a strong deaf program really do not have a clue on how to meet deaf chidlren's needs.

Have your mom put it in your IEP that all vidoes must be captioned.

Have you ever complained and demands that you need to watch it with closed caption? I agree with Shel90 ask your parents to add that to the IEP for next year, the school has to meet your needs. ;)

I receives a food handler's health card every two years for myself as a food service worker, before taking a test, I would have to watch the video, the video didn't appears to have any closed caption or subtitle. I did complained to the Department of Health, and informed them that closed caption or subtitle needs to be provided for me, they had to rescheduled so that I could be able to watch another video with closed caption. ;)

There are hardly any educational films/movies/vhs/DVDs that are captioned or subtitled, and that's terrible. Not sure why but they get away with this while other movie companies that makes the non-educational stuff (such as the latest Star Trek movie that just came out or the latest Pirates of the Caribbean) would get into deep shit if they didn't have their movies captioned or subtitled here, there's a law that was enacted in I think 1994 but it doesn't cover every single movie made out there. Just a broad spectrum of movies while there are still many made with no captions or subtitles. It's very annoying to have to watch a movie I can't understand.

During my days at deaf school EVERY educational film on 16mm film were captioned. That was during the 1970s-1980's. They were obtained from the Federal Captioned Films for the Deaf service.

There's information about this program and their media now includes dvds and videotape.

DCMP.org :: Home :: About Us

I remember being quizzed on non-captioned videos and struggled to pass the classes during my sophomore year. As a junior, most of my teachers were considerate to check for captions prior to running the films before class. Looking back, it was because I made myself clear to them on what I needed when it came to educational films. If they could not find videos that had captioning, some of them was kind enough to offer me a different assignment in place of the films. Otherwise, I basically sat down and bored through the movies to the best of my abilities. During the last two years of HS I was lucky to have a real-time captioner to caption for me in my classes. The only way that I was able to have a captioner is that I requested one during my IEP meetings. My school only had one captioner and she was the one who typed every single letter on the laptop at a rate faster than everyone else. I felt bad for her to be making her fingers tired like that, she said to not worry about it and that my education was more important.

On top of that, it was not easy having discussions during the meetings, but it was important for me to take a stand and let the educational staff know what I needed to be successful in my classes.

It is with many thanks to the people who have done so much for me throughout my educational process, I would not have been a 3D art student without them.

Have you ever complained and demands that you need to watch it with closed caption? I agree with Shel90 ask your parents to add that to the IEP for next year, the school has to meet your needs.

My parent's have had put the Captions on my IEP. They said it was required for me to have Closed Captions in every video. So basiclly it's already been in my IEP for so long now since elementary school.

One of my teachers, who is my social studies teacher was willing to help me if there was no closed captioning. He told me that if there is no closed captioning i could work on a different assignment towards the class while they're watching a non-closed captioning video. But I didn't want that because I didn't want to seem like I'm getting into the easier way of not watching the videos to the other hearing kids in class. I didn't want to make it seem not fair. So, my 'terp ended up writing my notes for me in class. Whenever there's a video without the captioning, she's always doing my notes for me in a video.

My Social studies teacher would also give out Oral tests. But he told me that i wasn't required to since I'm deaf. But what makes me mad is that sometimes people would say: "Oh she doesn't have to do that, because she's deaf and she can't hear everything they say." or, "I'm going to see if she's willing to do this instead of watching the video because she's deaf" I hate the way they put it into that. It just bugs the crap out of me.

Sorry, kinda went off topic here. Back to the captioning here..

In my school district area, They would have like old films from the 80's or 90's. And most films are either DVDs or VHS videos. The educational videos, for example: Bill the science guy. That doesn't have captioning. And they wouldn't let me do any video-notes. And another video for science, which is MythBusters; On television it has CC right? well, on DVD it doesn't. and Every time we're going to watch a video I always request or remind the teachers to put the captioning on because it's in my IEP and it helps me understand the video clearly and better. but my English teacher's assistant, or more like a sub when my real teacher for english is absent, she would not care about the Closed captioning. I mean she would try to put it on for ONE TIME but then she'll just be like: "forget it, lets just move on." and i'll be fustrated and upset the whole day. Because all of our videos are part of our tests. My soc.studies video on Capitalism was on the exam today and i had a hard time trying to figure out the answers. Because of no captioning. ANd that just upsets me because I want to get a good grade in school but if i can't its because of not having captions on videos. UGHH!!

i'm studying film and animation, so needless to say, we watch a LOT of films in a LOT of different classes. thankfully, the vast majority of them aren't educational films, but a lot of them are old, or independent films, like films that were featured in festivals or that were student-made, and thus don't have captions or subtitles. and a lot of them are very old. thankfully i receive transcripts for the ones that aren't captioned, but sometimes there will be a film which i KNOW for a fact is captioned/subtitled, but the film tech forgot to turn the captions on. this has happened a couple times, he/she works in a projection booth at the back of the screening room, and a couple of times i wrote "ENGLISH SUBTITLES" in huge letters on a piece of paper, walked back to the booth, and held the paper up against the glass for the tech to see, then they turned the captions on.

as for educational films, god is it ever annoying when they aren't captioned! most of the time my notetaker just takes notes and i use those. once, an in-class educational film (for an art history class, not a film class) was not captioned, and i reminded my professor about it. she said i could take the DVD out from the school library, obviously under the impression that all DVDs have subtitles as the DVD is a new technology. so i did but i had my doubts, knowing most educational films... sure enough the DVD did not have subtitles or captions when i checked it at the library, and my professor didn't believe me and thought i was just looking to get out of writing my report on the film. i had to get the librarian to send her an email to confirm that the dvd was not subtitled, so my prof apologised and told me that it wouldn't be on the final exam and i could do an alternative report.

apart from that, in my Media History (film based) classes, everyone is accustomed to watching more than half of the films with captions and they're all good sports about it. i get transcripts for the other ones.

for the final exam for my Media History class last semester, I sent an email to my professor asking if we would be tested on anything strictly sound-based for the exam. she misinterpreted my email as a request for an alternative exam, when i was simply asking about the general content of it. she could have answered my question but instead she emailed me saying that she will ensure that i am not tested on anything to do with sound, and that she would get back to me (but she never did). i wasn't sure what she meant by this. she kept in close contact with the other student in my class who is deaf, and i found out more than two weeks later, MINUTES before we were to take our exam, that the other deaf student and i were receiving a DIFFERENT final exam than the rest of the class. i was shocked because i hadn't actually been informed of this. so the 'normal' exam consisted of watching a film clip and writing down what happens in each take/shot (out of about 12 shots). ie. what the camera focus/angle/movement is, and what TYPE of sound there is (ambient, dialogue, or sound effects.... SUPER EASY, plus, it was subtitled). whereas my deaf friend and i were required to answer almost 20 multiple choice questions, questions that were from the textbook that mentioned the sound in some films, films that we had NEVER SEEN, asking what kind of sound it was or how the sound was described in the textbook. COMPLETE BS. I have never been angrier about a mark i received on an exam or a class, and my final mark was good -- a B+ -- because i had gotten A's on the midterm and term paper, but a B+ is still below average for me.

the only other B+ i have received at my school was in a class called Sound Essentials, where we learn sound recording/mixing and editing.

GO FIGURE... my two lowest marks, tooootallly had nothing to do with being deaf!

Have you ever complained and demands that you need to watch it with closed caption? I agree with Shel90 ask your parents to add that to the IEP for next year, the school has to meet your needs. ;)

I was lucky that when I was in a private high school that I got help from students and teachers. I had a deal that I would get notes in every class and to compenstate my tests were a little harder then the others.

Well.... Why don't you get Real time captioner? That's what I had from 3rd grade to Senior in High school. If there's no caption on videos, my captioner would caption what the movie was saying, although it was hard to focus on the laptop and focus on the movie at the same time... I have to tilt my head back and forth....and it's quite annoying. All I can suggust is get the real time captioner. My Oral School, my public school and IEP has provided me that as my parents has requested for it.

I had similar problems throughout school. My teachers NEVER would turn on CC nor would they repeat themselves if I didn't understand something, which was a lot. I remember asking about something I missed and all my teacher said was, "You heard me, I just said it". I was so mad about that! I found the IEP to be a total joke, I even went to an elementary school with a deaf HoH program but since I was already mainstreamed before the program had started.... and the fact that I was taught SEE early on when the program used ASL didn't help much either. I did have the use of a FM system for about 4 months until someone decided the device was too expensive to allow me to use it.

School for me was pretty boring, and a lot of the time if there was a movie shown in class for fun or something I'd be in speech therapy... thanks IEP!

No CC, no test for me. I would tell the teacher with parents!

Well.... Why don't you get Real time captioner? That's what I had from 3rd grade to Senior in High school. If there's no caption on videos, my captioner would caption what the movie was saying, although it was hard to focus on the laptop and focus on the movie at the same time... I have to tilt my head back and forth....and it's quite annoying. All I can suggust is get the real time captioner. My Oral School, my public school and IEP has provided me that as my parents has requested for it.

Do you mean have a captioner , incase there no CC on TV? I am asking as i been trying to watcg movie on a station that has no CC and it is really hard
understand what being said! I know you could buy captioner before CC started being use on TV , but I can't find any to buy.

Do you mean have a captioner , incase there no CC on TV? I am asking as i been trying to watcg movie on a station that has no CC and it is really hard
understand what being said! I know you could buy captioner before CC started being use on TV , but I can't find any to buy.

No she means CART . A person is interpreting by typing and it is transmitted right to the student.

I grew up watching those educational videos without captioning and nobody even bothered to inquire if I knew what they were saying. One time, I fell asleep and ended up with a detention slip. I am telling u...people who work in public schools without a strong deaf program really do not have a clue on how to meet deaf chidlren's needs.

I agree with you. IEP is the key to become successful after hs

Hey I'm in high school too right now.

I have had to fight a lot for my rights to closed captions, homework written up on the board for me, etc.

Here's what I do. If i ask my teacher for captions and there aren't any, on the top of my notes paper, I write "THERE WERE NO CAPTIONS" and just fill out whatever I can.
I always check the back of the dvd case or the VHS case, if you look on the bottom of the box there is usually a spot that says CC. This means the movie is closed captioned. If there is no CC, then I omit from taking notes or the test OR i copy a friend's notes.

My IEP also specifically states that every teacher must provide Captions when ever necessary and/or possible. If a teacher refuses then i politely ask for a pass to the office and report them immediately. This way the teacher learns their lesson without me having to embarrass myself inside of the classroom.

Hope this Helps!:wave:

Why don't interpreter signs all of what movie sayin? I had a interpreter always signing when there have no cc. Interpreter sit next to tv..

Why don't interpreter signs all of what movie sayin? I had a interpreter always signing when there have no cc. Interpreter sit next to tv..

My interpreter did that for me in the 6th grade. and then after awhile she stopped doing the interpreting for me for videos because she said it was too hard for her to actually interprete everything and that i would have to take notes while shes interpreting and i'd miss out on what i didn't write in my notes. So she never really interpret for me in my videos. ANd that sucks.

Back