What would you do if no Captions are avaliable for you during school?

I'm familiar with that company.

Unfortunately, the schools I've worked at, including the college, don't order their videos that way. I've given them the contact information for the Captioned Media Program but they said that the titles they needed to use weren't available there. :dunno:

Yea, because they really serve hearing children and students. I am sure they figure that interpreters will interpret the videos?

Yea, because they really serve hearing children and students. I am sure they figure that interpreters will interpret the videos?
Yes, that's what I do.

I was browsing the listings at CMP, and I didn't see many that would fit the college needs, so that is a problem.

Yes, that's what I do.

I was browsing the listings at CMP, and I didn't see many that would fit the college needs, so that is a problem.

I think it is catered to the younger children...my co-teacher and I use them at least once a month.

I think it is catered to the younger children...my co-teacher and I use them at least once a month.
I thought they used to have a college level section, too, but I must be wrong.

In that case, I guess were stuck at the college. At least they are using more Power Point presentations now, so that's an improvement. The students can print out the entire presentation to use as notes.

hmm, Reba, the link you gave me is REALLY intresting...

But I don't understand what you mean by the link you sent me. Can you explain to me please? I'm trying to understand all the ADA laws that they have given us for support. Even tho i am about to be 16 years old I'm just trying to understand the ADA Laws.

I thought they used to have a college level section, too, but I must be wrong.

In that case, I guess were stuck at the college. At least they are using more Power Point presentations now, so that's an improvement. The students can print out the entire presentation to use as notes.

I have grown to be dependent on my Smartboard in my classroom to do my lessons via powerpoint. At the public school where I am working at for the summer has no Smartboards and it was so hard to revert back to old fashioned teaching without powerpoint. LOL!

Sorry for off-topic :)

hmm, Reba, the link you gave me is REALLY intresting...

But I don't understand what you mean by the link you sent me. Can you explain to me please? I'm trying to understand all the ADA laws that they have given us for support. Even tho i am about to be 16 years old I'm just trying to understand the ADA Laws.
I'm sorry, I don't know exactly which link you're referring to (I post too many, oops).

In your case, as a minor, it's probably going to be up to your parents to really push your school to meet your needs.

The ADA is the general law that covers your rights. The areas that are more specific to schools are Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the ADA. Also, IDEA and your IEP are important for you. More about these things can be found at this link (sorry, another link):
Section 504 and ADA Obligations of Public Schools | National Association of the Deaf

You are a brave and mature young lady for trying to advocate for yourself. Sometimes the fight for equal access is hard--you might have to be a pioneer in your school district.

Shel and others who work fulltime in the Deaf education can probably give you more "how to" information. Also, hearing parents of deaf children who have experienced similar frustrations might be able to give you and your parents some tips about how they resolved their problems with the schools.

As you get older, you will probably become more familiar with the ADA as it relates to college and job opportunities, and your rights in the medical and legal areas.

The ADA gives you the legal rights. Sometimes you still need to fight to get them applied to your situation. They aren't always automatically done for you (even if they should be).

Don't give up.

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly which link you're referring to (I post too many, oops).

In your case, as a minor, it's probably going to be up to your parents to really push your school to meet your needs.

The ADA is the general law that covers your rights. The areas that are more specific to schools are Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the ADA. Also, IDEA and your IEP are important for you. More about these things can be found at this link (sorry, another link):
Section 504 and ADA Obligations of Public Schools | National Association of the Deaf

You are a brave and mature young lady for trying to advocate for yourself. Sometimes the fight for equal access is hard--you might have to be a pioneer in your school district.

Shel and others who work fulltime in the Deaf education can probably give you more "how to" information. Also, hearing parents of deaf children who have experienced similar frustrations might be able to give you and your parents some tips about how they resolved their problems with the schools.

As you get older, you will probably become more familiar with the ADA as it relates to college and job opportunities, and your rights in the medical and legal areas.

The ADA gives you the legal rights. Sometimes you still need to fight to get them applied to your situation. They aren't always automatically done for you (even if they should be).

Don't give up.

:ty: for explaining that to me. I also just found out that the reason why the school doesnt have CC avaliable for me is that because we had a money problem last year, because from that year before the levy did not pass. And we had huge money economy problems last year. And they never really bought me a decoder at all. Some televisions at school does have a built-in decoder. But some does not have built-in decoders. But in my middle school, they still have the decoder that they let me to use for videos. But my dad says that the decoder from my middle school can be transferred to my high school but my interpreter says that the decoder from the middle school belongs to them, not the high school.

:ty: for explaining that to me. I also just found out that the reason why the school doesnt have CC avaliable for me is that because we had a money problem last year, because from that year before the levy did not pass. And we had huge money economy problems last year. And they never really bought me a decoder at all. Some televisions at school does have a built-in decoder. But some does not have built-in decoders. But in my middle school, they still have the decoder that they let me to use for videos. But my dad says that the decoder from my middle school can be transferred to my high school but my interpreter says that the decoder from the middle school belongs to them, not the high school.

That's education politics...nothing new. I am not surprised by this at all.

what do you mean by that?

That the decoder has to stay with the middle school instead of going to your high school where it can be put in good use. I am in the field of education and this kind of thing happens too often. For something as simple as a desk to get thrown away has to go thru a lot of red tape. It just makes everything so complicated sometimes.

That the decoder has to stay with the middle school instead of going to your high school where it can be put in good use. I am in the field of education and this kind of thing happens too often. For something as simple as a desk to get thrown away has to go thru a lot of red tape. It just makes everything so complicated sometimes.

oh yeah now i understand. I don't know if the school is going to buy me a decoder when i need it if the television does not have a built-in decoder or not. But mostly i think they need to buy me a decoder because I use captionings alot.

:ty: for explaining that to me.
You're welcome. :)

I also just found out that the reason why the school doesnt have CC avaliable for me is that because we had a money problem last year, because from that year before the levy did not pass. And we had huge money economy problems last year. And they never really bought me a decoder at all. Some televisions at school does have a built-in decoder. But some does not have built-in decoders. But in my middle school, they still have the decoder that they let me to use for videos. But my dad says that the decoder from my middle school can be transferred to my high school but my interpreter says that the decoder from the middle school belongs to them, not the high school.
Hmm, I don't think it's up to the interpreter to say that. That's interesting.

Shel is right that schools are very possessive of their property and funding because they are at the mercy of political decisions.

You're welcome. :)

Hmm, I don't think it's up to the interpreter to say that. That's interesting.

Shel is right that schools are very possessive of their property and funding because they are at the mercy of political decisions.

yeah, my interpeter tells me these things alot about the FM systems, or about the decoders or about the school or such. she always thinks she knows everything in school.

yeah, my interpeter tells me these things alot about the FM systems, or about the decoders or about the school or such. she always thinks she knows everything in school.
Even if she does "know" everything, she's not supposed to "share" everything. Terps are supposed to know when to keep their lips zipped.

Even if she does "know" everything, she's not supposed to "share" everything. Terps are supposed to know when to keep their lips zipped.

yeah true. I don't know why 'terps are like that.

but I do think the school needs to buy me a whole new decoder if the middle school will not let us transfer the decoder to the high school. Its just a whole another problem to deal with.

We don´t have closed captions here in Europe countries but subtitles. USA is only country use those word "closed caption"

We have plenty of DVD with foreign movies with foriegn subtitles. I have many DVDs with 5 or 6 foreign languages and subtitles. You can pick any foreign language to hear or subtitles to read.

Aren't close caption and subtitles the same thing? Just a differant use of language. Like they say pants and we say trousers. I'm refering to the text at the bottom of the screen that says what the actors are saying?

Aren't close caption and subtitles the same thing? Just a differant use of language. Like they say pants and we say trousers. I'm refering to the text at the bottom of the screen that says what the actors are saying?
No, they're not the same. Subtitles include just the actors' dialogue. Captions include dialogue plus text that describes sound effects, background noises, and music. They also indicate which character is speaking. Subtitles do not.

There is more information in captions than subtitles.

We don´t have closed captions here in Europe countries but subtitles. USA is only country use those word "closed caption"

We have plenty of DVD with foreign movies with foriegn subtitles. I have many DVDs with 5 or 6 foreign languages and subtitles. You can pick any foreign language to hear or subtitles to read.

interesting! I didn't think other countries don't have CC. Also - even the DVDs do include CC along with English subtitle. Some HBO dvds do not have English subtitle but does have CC.

strange, I know.

No, they're not the same. Subtitles include just the actors' dialogue. Captions include dialogue plus text that describes sound effects, background noises, and music. They also indicate which character is speaking. Subtitles do not.

There is more information in captions than subtitles.

I see. Thanks for explaining about that. I didn't realise there was a differance. It's been ages since I used subtitles.

Back