What is Cued Speech?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )
Same here - I've seen one person cue, ever. In contrast I typically see at least 3-10 people signing (in public eg the mall, restaurant, library, movies etc) a week.
The only person I've seen cue was the facilitator of our interpreter workshop. She had experience cuing at an oral school. She said it's not worth an interpreter specializing in it because there isn't enough demand for it.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Same here - I've seen one person cue, ever. In contrast I typically see at least 3-10 people signing (in public eg the mall, restaurant, library, movies etc) a week.

I live in a small town in Southern Illinois and it has been literally years since I have seen anyone having a conversation in any form of sign!

I live in a small town in Southern Illinois and it has been literally years since I have seen anyone having a conversation in any form of sign!
Do you attend any deaf community events?

How many people have you seen used cued speech?

Do you attend any deaf community events?

How many people have you seen used cued speech?

If you find any deaf community events in Centralia, Illinois you know more than I as a resident!

I do not sign as I took a beginning course through Kaskaskia College (a community college) twice back in the 1980's and made no contacts to use it. Not getting to use it I have forgotten 99% of what I did learn.

I have not seen cued speech. I have just run across articles about it over the years.

Actually at my ITP, there was a girl with a deaf sister who cued. Only she and her immediate family used it, and they only did it when speaking with the daughter, not with each other (so essentially, she couldn't follow along with their conversations with each other, only conversations had directly with her).

From my understanding, it is around 8 different handshapes placed near the mouth that give a clue as to what phoneme is being used (like which vowel, the short a for example).

There is still an organization that supports cuing, but honestly I have only ever seen the two of them doing it (and now since both of them are learning ASL, the deaf woman and her sister, it's falling by the wayside). It seems pretty basic to learn, but there's essentially no demand for it.

I've done cued speech briefly when I was a kid. Speech therapist showed me how. I forgot all about it now. It's been a long time.

Back