What is Cued Speech?

Mimsy

Reaction score
I just read about Cued Speech, some sort of ASL, but I don't understand what they're trying to do with it. Does anyone here know about this? The good and the not-good??

It's a "different method" of communication that uses half sign, half speech. Used by some people, it was made a long time ago. I don't know if there are counts of how many people use it, but it's definitely one of minorities today.

A lot of the people on here and real life find it cumbersome to use from what I've seen them say. I personally haven't learned it.

If ASL was like learning English for elementary school, then SEE is like learning old fashioned/proper Hearing English grammar (non-ASL style), CS is like learning some old speech debating+sign same time course.

It's a "different method" of communication that uses half sign, half speech. Used by some people, it was made a long time ago. I don't know if there are counts of how many people use it, but it's definitely one of minorities today.

A lot of the people on here and real life find it cumbersome to use from what I've seen them say. I personally haven't learned it.

If ASL was like learning English for elementary school, then SEE is like learning old fashioned/proper Hearing English grammar (non-ASL style), CS is like learning some old speech debating+sign same time course.

Sounds complicated.

I just read about Cued Speech, some sort of ASL, but I don't understand what they're trying to do with it. Does anyone here know about this? The good and the not-good??

cued speech. the bane of the existence. it's nearly impossible to meet anybody who knows it. that's how unpopular and rare it is. and I have met only one person who does... in Virginia. Last year, I was on business trip. I was at a diner near my hotel and this pretty waitress said to me - "my sister is deaf too."

I asked her kindly to give me a demonstration and I was mesmerized at how confusing it is but of course... I kept it to myself and then I gave her a big fat tip and my card :lol:

My understand is that what the developers were trying to do was make lip reading easier by having "cues" for words that are hard to read. I have had no contact with it so can't give you (or anyone) and opinion of how it works or doesn't.

It's not like Sim Com. It uses specific handshapes by the mouth to represent different sounds.

Jro, its Not rare..........you're wrong there...sorry but you're wrong many may *not actually call it that or recognise as such* but more like 'they sign' but they *think* (or lied to by fuckn teachers) can speak some '..or even 'speak well '...cued speech arent rare...
its quite widespread just because you havent seen it doesnt mean its not there any-where....

It is not a sign language at all, and was never intended to be. Cued speech is used with oral speech. The hand shapes give "cues" as to the phonetic sounds that the speaker is using. It's an aid to speechreading. I've only had one workshop in it. It's very limited in use, mostly at specific schools. Outside of school faculty, professional facilitators, the students, and the students' immediate family members, hardly anyone uses it.

I can see it as having some benefit for improving speechreading skills or oral skills but it's not useful as a means of communication.

Of course, you can look up the cued speech organization's website for further information.

http://www.cuedspeech.org/

http://www.cec.sped.org/AM/Template...CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CAT=none&CONTENTID=4165

Last edited:
Jro, its Not rare..........you're wrong there...sorry but you're wrong many may *not actually call it that or recognise as such* but more like 'they sign' but they *think* (or lied to by fuckn teachers) can speak some '..or even 'speak well '...cued speech arent rare...
its quite widespread just because you havent seen it doesnt mean its not there any-where....
Widespread where? In our state only one school used it. I've never met anyone in our deaf community who has used it.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Well under 1:2000 hoh/deaf use cued speech or have even learned it. That seems like "rare" to me.

It's basicly Hand Signal Hooked On Phonics. It wasn't ever designed for communication, but rather to help dhh kids learn English phoneticly. It IS very unusual, and not commonly used.

whatever, you know the whole world isnt America, just reminding...

Grummer said:
whatever, you know the whole world isnt America, just reminding...

The less than 1:2000 number is global - not USA or Canada etc.

The number's actually very generous - other sources state that it's globally far less than half that (less than 1:4000 - meaning less than .004% of hoh/deaf know how to or do cue)

Last edited:

Frisky Feline said:
I think I met once in my life. :hmm: I met oral or ASL or SEE many times.

Same here - I've seen one person cue, ever. In contrast I typically see at least 3-10 people signing (in public eg the mall, restaurant, library, movies etc) a week.

Back