what has standing up for gays cost you?

It has cost me nothing to stand up and say something for the GLBT population as I do now and then. I just do it for everything not just this topic, also animal cruelty , or what is considered right/wrong for myself in the society. I'm more of fair/just person than anything else.

Who invent love? man and woman

Therefore, homosexual stole their love and re-invent to keep secret for thousand years until they finally show TMI to public. From "EEK" to "eep" to "oh ok..."

Oh well.

Therefore, homosexual stole their love and re-invent to keep secret for thousand years until they finally show TMI to public. From "EEK" to "eep" to "oh ok..."

Oh well.

:bsflag:

Oh well.

Love comes in many forms, Power On. Romantic love is but one kind. No one stole anything.:roll:

Oh well.

I don't know what you're smoking, but it must be some crazy shit.

Standing up

Amazingly since I've been out for 15 years, I've been so blessed to be surrounded with loving, open-minded people everywhere within my family, friends and work. I've never lost any friends or family members because of it. My family is so supportive of gay rights that they all voted No on Prop 8 even if some of them were Republicans.

If people are losing friends because of who they are or for standing up for gays, that only shows you the type of people they are, that they are closed-minded and judgmental. So in the end, its all good because its way better to surround yourself with people that love you for who you are whether gay or straight, but accept and support your beliefs.

As for family members that reject others because they are gay, of course that is tough as family is so important. I think that there are some ways to work around this. We can't change them for who they are, but as long as they are family, the love for them is always unconditional. It shouldn't be something to pick a battle with. Rather it should be a lesson in acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness. I have one relative that was against me being gay. She was the only person in my entire life that was not accepting of who I am and tried to tell me her own thoughts about it via email. I shut her mouth on that issue. So if I see her at family functions, we are still loving relatives, only we don't bring it up. It's left alone. It's important to my family there is peace not conflicts as it won't accomplish anything.

Amazingly since I've been out for 15 years, I've been so blessed to be surrounded with loving, open-minded people everywhere within my family, friends and work. I've never lost any friends or family members because of it. My family is so supportive of gay rights that they all voted No on Prop 8 even if some of them were Republicans.

If people are losing friends because of who they are or for standing up for gays, that only shows you the type of people they are, that they are closed-minded and judgmental. So in the end, its all good because its way better to surround yourself with people that love you for who you are whether gay or straight, but accept and support your beliefs.

As for family members that reject others because they are gay, of course that is tough as family is so important. I think that there are some ways to work around this. We can't change them for who they are, but as long as they are family, the love for them is always unconditional. It shouldn't be something to pick a battle with. Rather it should be a lesson in acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness. I have one relative that was against me being gay. She was the only person in my entire life that was not accepting of who I am and tried to tell me her own thoughts about it via email. I shut her mouth on that issue. So if I see her at family functions, we are still loving relatives, only we don't bring it up. It's left alone. It's important to my family there is peace not conflicts as it won't accomplish anything.

Totally. My parents sent me to ex-gay camp (LIA) and kicked me out when I came out. I was 14! WTF. Ridiculous. But we're a lot better now.

My dad would never accept me as a gay, the rest of my family I think would be OK with it although they would never completely agree with it.

Its part of the reason why Im not out to my family yet. And its hard having to live this strange double life. Maybe someday when Im brave enough I might come out completely but for now I think I'll remain partially hidden.

My dad would never accept me as a gay, the rest of my family I think would be OK with it although they would never completely agree with it.

Its part of the reason why Im not out to my family yet. And its hard having to live this strange double life. Maybe someday when Im brave enough I might come out completely but for now I think I'll remain partially hidden.

You never know - I mean my dad beat me up when I told him, now he's accepting (sort of).

Parents are...weird.

Cost me family

I stopped being a fundamentalist Xian, in part because I realized it was a lie of Christians to say that gay are sick, sinful, demon possessed, etc. I realized the sick-o's are the Xians!! I am closer to my gay friends. My family are mean spirited, they believe I am a bad influence. They have not talked to me for 10 years. I am str8, but most of my friends are gay. They are more loving and supportive than my family, so goodbye to family! Shame on them for hating. That's my story!

(sorry I'm bumping an old topic)

Being gay has cost me a lot but has earned me even more, especially the freedom in knowing that I can be who I am and proud of it. Sure, my dad won't ever understand and certain people at school will always have that prejudice, but I've developed some thick skin and am always learning that anyone can be convinced as long as you present your side logically, as in, trying to get them to live vicariously in your shoes.

And reading some of this thread I heard some people say it "isn't natural" - but you know what, how would we go about defining natural? Is it the ability to propagate or accomplish something biologically? If that being the case then why aren't people against kissing, or hugging, or holding hands...all of these have no biological purpose or "advantage", do they?

ahh but I'm digressing, just wanted to make that point ;)

It has cost me some things... such as some good friends who were EXTREME Christians ("Just choose not to be...") and I have been beat on by people because they think gay means weak... But I can handle that, the people that left... good ridance. If it made them leave, they are not true friends. As for people trying to beat me, they got hurt just as badly, if not more.

I'm a straight Christian and I disagree with my fellow Christians about homosexuality. The bible was literally written in ancient times, and even the apostles were sinners who were subjected to society's "norms" at that time. There are many different subjects in the bible that we do not uphold, such as stoning adulterers and whatnot. The bible also states a woman has to marry the man that rapes her, do you uphold this? Why or why not? Or do we get selective with bible scripture? Of course we do.

I believe God made homosexuals like that. I find it very hard to believe that a gay man or women would subject themselves to the extreme emotional process that comes with being gay. Why would they, throughout history? Face persecution and murder, beatings for being gay? They like it? Being homosexual is not a choice as a bunch of simple minded people like to believe.

Basically straight men and women have a certain set of X and Y chromosomes, which leads them to be attracted to the opposite sex. A gay person has different X Y chromosome values that would make their bodies be attracted to the same sex.

It doesn't make sense that a straight man, who can "choose" to be gay, would be willing to be subject to homosexual labels. ANY straight man would be greatly offended if his sexuality for women was questioned. Gay men are obviously not offended when called Gay or Homosexual. A straight man would be, so I therefore believe it's not a choice.

I love my mom and I often look up to her, but sometimes when it comes to homosexuality, she says things I don't like. She is fine with having gay friends but she wouldn't want me to be gay. I get upset and defend myself "So what if I'm gay?" to explain to her that it doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think I defend myself so much that my mom is kind of waiting for me to come out... even though I'm not gay. :)

do you know, I must be the luckiest gay guy around.

My family accept it... I have never lost any friends, I have truck loads of gay friends. My work life is wonderful and I am happy to say 80% of my friendship group are gay.

Gay people ARE born gay just as straight people are born straight... some take longer to realize than others but they get there in the end simply because the desire is impossible to resist. Some try to cover it by getting married and trying to live the straight life but inside they are destroying themselves and won't be happy.

basically if you're straight.. imagine people around you believe it's wrong and are trying to force you to be gay... well that's what it feels like to us.

I don't understand the attraction between a man and a woman... to me its not right. THIS MEANS i can understand why people think gay is wrong... I just hope they are intelligent to understand that I can accept them... so please accept me :D

I should also point out i am hearing... but have dated 4 deaf guys and one sign teacher... Don't ask me why but I find deaf gay guys VERY attractive. in my experience they are much more gentle and generally nicer to be with.

Stevie x

dreama said:
I'm bi. I'm also for animal rights so I'd much rather be compaired to an animal then to some people I know. In fact I'd be must flattered to be compaired to my guide dog Jilli as she has such a beautiful personality. Very few people I know can match it.

As far as deffending gays. I don't understand homophobic people as gays aren't hurting anyone.

I'm all for diversity.

:gpost::gpost:

Back