what do you like about hearing culture?

I don't think there's a "hearing" culture. Hearing people don't think about their hearing. They don't do things, make things and what not with the thought in mind that they can do these things because they can hear. When you go for a walk you don't leave the house thinking I'm going to go for a walk because I can, you just do it. It's a non issue. I don't why you'd think I'd bash the deaf culture. I'm not involved in it so I don't anything to complain about it.

I'd say music, but the only way to apply that to culture is if you're talking music of different cultures, American, Arab, French etc etc etc.

Being able to talk to someone in another room, but again I don't feel right think of that as "hearing" culture. I don't think just because there's a Deaf culture there's automatically a hearing one. I mean who exactly are you talking about? Because that would be like everybody in the world and they come from different cultures. Deaf are more like a subculture to the Culture where they live. Believe it or not, unless someone lives in a bubble the hearing world has had an influence on their lives, the clothes they wear, mannerisms, food, education etc etc etc.

It's the ability I miss Grummer, not the culture. I'm still smack dab in the middle of the culture, but honestly I miss out on things because I'm not hearing.

I was talking to my daughter how my dog always knew what I was going by the sounds I made and my daughter said everything we do made a sound.
I never thought of that , I am amazed that how hearing people can hear a sound that I can't hear .

When I was graduating from high school we had to walk to the beat of music and I was not able to hear the beat and the principal kept telling me to listen to the 'beat'. He even walked with me and I followed his footsteps with my eyes. He told me to look up . :roll: I told him I could not hear the 'beat' . The principal didn't get it that I could not hear the beat .

Everything I do now is what I did when I was in the hearing world full time except that I have more access to communication and information.

I don't see my life as doing hearing culture stuff...just living my life to the best I can but much happier now with ASL and the Deaf community.

Of course, I wont enjoy going back to the hearing ways with minimal visual access. Other than music and using language/communication verbally, I don't know what is considered hearing culture.

As a hearing person , I don't always grasp what the lyrics mean in a song.
A lot of people had no idea that the song "Every Breath you Take" by the Police was actually a break up song . Many people used it as a wedding song back in that year .
id say, try download and watch with lyrics ...a 1983 hit ":King of Pain" by the Police.....very deep lyrics but MOST people wowed at the

as the guitars faded...
Sting sang in a whisp...
'There's a black winged gull with a broken back" then
a
"that's my soul up there" Sting pointing to the crowd

then

"There's a little black spot on the sun today
It's the same old thing as yesterday"

the crowd does wild because it 'sounded COOL" a hearing-ness sense of the aurul/sonic buzz but they have NO idea this song was about depression.....(not in a medical term as it is used now...but more as in a poetic, intellectual way)
you can easily find a link of a you tube of King of Pain in the concerts really shows quite a lot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything I do now is what I did when I was in the hearing world full time except that I have more access to communication and information.

I don't see my life as doing hearing culture stuff...just living my life to the best I can but much happier now with ASL and the Deaf community.

Of course, I wont enjoy going back to the hearing ways with minimal visual access. Other than music and using language/communication verbally, I don't know what is considered hearing culture.

I agree with you that last sentence.

Rio,

you are dead on, I was wondering when someone was going to say that.

considering I grew up listening to Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Police and many other classic 80s and 90s songs.

As I got older, I got more into the underground music, Raves, Trance, Techno. But I do still have my mix of Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, The Cranberries.

I do understand every lyric of each song and the meaning behind them. Most people Hearing or Deaf don't take the time to comprehend them.

OK, my answer is dancing to music. Anything with a beat, regardless how degrading lyrics are! ;)

Hey ladies drop it down
Just want to see you touch the ground
Don't be shy girl go Bananza
Shake ya body like a belly dancer

:laugh2:

My life sucks.

Take control and make your life Aswome
Your life sucks because you believe it does
You have a dream?
Now go live it
Do what you have to.
Don't quit
Don't give up
The harder the better
Your life is what you make it

We grew up with the same music . I caught on later what some lyrics meant haha I still don't get it what a reflex is by Duran Duran lol
Rio,

you are dead on, I was wondering when someone was going to say that.

considering I grew up listening to Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Police and many other classic 80s and 90s songs.

As I got older, I got more into the underground music, Raves, Trance, Techno. But I do still have my mix of Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, The Cranberries.

I do understand every lyric of each song and the meaning behind them. Most people Hearing or Deaf don't take the time to comprehend them.

As a hearing person, I don't think of myself as part of a hearing culture--I don't think any hearing people would identify themselves as part of a hearing culture. Maybe because hearing people are in the majority we identify more with our subgroups (religion, ethnicity, nationality, socio-economic group, sport).

Music for me too. I miss listening to my daughters playing piano, violin and cello. I would cry during their recitals it was kind of a spiritual thing. Loved music during my commute, got me in a great mood. Music when your cleaning house helps too.

I really miss talking to my mom. I can hear her somewhat with my CI but she is Irish and speaks fast.

I'd have to say no, there's no hearing culture. That's like saying there's, I don't know, a breathing culture......a people culture. Hearing doesn't make them different from each other, it just the "normal" healthy however way you want to put it state of person. It's literally as natural to them as breathing, they don't have to work or think about it, it just happens. Deaf culture came about as a matter if necessity, because being deaf dies make you different from the people around you.

I think that anyone (hearing or deaf) who is aware of Deaf Culture can look at the differences between Deaf Culture and whatever you want to call the larger surrounding culture, and talk about things you like or don't like about either.

One thing I really appreciate as a hearing person in this larger culture, now that I've spent some time being aware of the Deaf community, is the freedom I have. Most Deaf people I know have a fairly small social circle of people with whom they can communicate in person in their first language. If one of those people behaves badly, say so badly that they'd like to walk away from that person permanently, it's just hard to do. Partly because the community is so cohesive and partly because there just aren't enough Deaf people to start rejecting any of them without risking loss of the community itself.

In my life, in contrast, if someone treats me very badly, I don't have to think twice: I can tell them to hit the road and never accept contact with them again. And I know I'll never have to worry about having people to shoot the breeze with in my first language. There are just so many options. I can hang out with people I know in the dance scene. In the biking scene. In my field of study. In the scene of any of a number of interests I have. If any one of them starts driving me nuts (or more likely an individual within does) I can ditch and still have plenty to do, with easy communication wherever I decide to go. There are just *so* *many* *hearies* out there.

It's a big deal to me. I think I'd lose my mind if I tried to (had to?) tolerate some of the behavior I watch people in the Deaf community enduring from each other. I'm talking about local to me - not here on AllDeaf.

This is not to say that Deaf people treat each other worse than hearing people do. Just that *when* they treat each other badly, it's harder to fully walk away.

So I guess this is all to say that what I like about "hearing culture" is that it's easier to be sort of socially independent, and less of a member of a community. The way I'm wired, I really need that.

I do miss my job, customers, work friends, lunches, laughing. Getting up every morning, feeling proud of my accomplishments and the big one feeling independent. I had to leave my job due to my disability before I became deaf. You have to be able to hear doctors, nurses and customers, so I think if I was not disabled I would not be able to return to my job.

One of our favorite dates was going to Comedy shows, I love to laugh. I miss those too.

I do miss my job, customers, work friends, lunches, laughing. Getting up every morning, feeling proud of my accomplishments and the big one feeling independent. I had to leave my job due to my disability before I became deaf. You have to be able to hear doctors, nurses and customers, so I think if I was not disabled I would not be able to return to my job.

One of our favorite dates was going to Comedy shows, I love to laugh. I miss those too.

That has to be hard recalling your hearing past. I was born deaf so I don't know what I'm missing but for those who were late deafened, that's got to be hard. All you can do is remember what it was like. I can't imagine.

That has to be hard recalling your hearing past. I was born deaf so I don't know what I'm missing but for those who were late deafened, that's got to be hard. All you can do is remember what it was like. I can't imagine.

It suck big hairy stinky donkey dick. But it is was it is. Dwelling on it doesn't help anything, you just gotta make the best of things....just keep swimming, keep swimming. My loss wasn't abrupt like Angel's. It went in waves so I had adjustment periods. not this past summer, but the one before, when I first joined I was going through another adjustment, to being profoundly deaf, instead of severe loss. At first it was hard, really hard. But I'm a bit better now :)

I miss karoake. So much fun. I dislike threads like these that make me think about it :laugh2:

I think it's why I'm online so much. It's gotten to where I'm not fully comfortable until I'm behind a screen, communication issues kind of fall away, it's my leveler. eww I don't like this thread I'm outta here.

It suck big hairy stinky donkey dick. But it is was it is. Dwelling on it doesn't help anything, you just gotta make the best of things....just keep swimming, keep swimming. My loss wasn't abrupt like Angel's. It went in waves so I had adjustment periods. not this past summer, but the one before, when I first joined I was going through another adjustment, to being profoundly deaf, instead of severe loss. At first it was hard, really hard. But I'm a bit better now :)

I miss karoake. So much fun. I dislike threads like these that make me think about it :laugh2:

I think it's why I'm online so much. It's gotten to where I'm not fully comfortable until I'm behind a screen, communication issues kind of fall away, it's my leveler. eww I don't like this thread I'm outta here.

Its a phase ... sounds like what I did ... as I lost my hearing I started to avoid people like the plague ... more and more ... withdrawn?? And it someone speaks to you sometimes you just ignore them ... can hear a slight sound of them talking but no idea what their saying and don't want the hastle of saying HUH??? WHAT DID YOU SAY?? a million times ...

You need a CI *sigh*

Back