what do you like about hearing culture?

Grummer

Reaction score
it can be anything. music taste (that requires som amount of hearing right?)

different hobbies that are not commonly shared in the deaf community, like motocross instead of football...

interest in different genres of bookx, films, mix media, drama plays or what have you

discussion of things, that aren't really discuss in the deaf community (due to unfamiliarity or its an odd 'interest' , familiar with that anyone??

It sucks that I hardly knows anything about hearing culture. If I did, then I would better understand why deaf women want to date hearing guys. Unfortunately, I'm deaf so I'll never grasp hearing culture. I would care less. My life sucks.

you tell me
inventions. hype, trend, attitudes of what is pleasureable (like music is it truly pleasurable or it quite different way that a deaf person might like music - because of it feigned 'overcoming' or sharing of the same values as agreed in the hearing world - hearing teens about rich as corrupted or beat up cops, or your love is the real one, your pains is the 'same' as others, or your wish to be rich and famous even pretending is made acceptable with the 'liking of that music'
that sort of thing

im tring to raise questions on things that no one really speaks up about or talk about if liking music/hearing culture was a way of coping or way or doing what is 'normal' when we , d/Deaf clearly do not enjoy music (not just the sonic buzz but actual messages and such like, poetic or sarcasm or narcissism, or anti-narcissism, or greed or whatever or political thoughts..... see??

even faking 'confidence'

Hmm...i think i understand. I guess music would be a thing that i can truely say i enjoyed both when been deaf and now that i am hearing. But i do have to admit going to movies is much easier now. I dont have to be lip reading or be reading subtitles.

everything.........

can you be a bit more specific? give 4 examples...please don't be mean to deaf culture, realise this you're ACTUALLY IN A FORUM FOR DEAF PEOPLE !!! WHAT DOES THIS MEANS TO YOU?!! some common experiences? no?

sorry to shout, but id say it now, im not shouting underwise not stated will mean its shouting, im just point out that hard fact....just to make you sit back and think a bit more...im trying to be nice and inquistive at the same time....
hope you had a good birthday , on the V day?! ouch ...
(or was it 13th?) oh im plastered....

Kidding you! :laugh2: Oh boy...

OK, my answer is dancing to music. Anything with a beat, regardless how degrading lyrics are! ;)

yah, and i talked to many hearing people, many of them just go with the beats too, it's the actual 'colour'.flavour' of the beats that goes with time which seems to be acceptable and MOST of them have admitted to me, they don't even know what they're singing about or what is said.......

so given that.....the how far we can say what is hearing culture, or 'chronologically-deemed' fashion as popular culture to over arch everything in the media consumption that substitute as social norm or social hype...

put other way...question of how far , to what degree are deafness in attitudes are influence directly or indirectly to music culture (where hearing culture are paramount in that realm).

id say, try download and watch with lyrics ...a 1983 hit ":King of Pain" by the Police.....very deep lyrics but MOST people wowed at the

as the guitars faded...
Sting sang in a whisp...
'There's a black winged gull with a broken back" then
a
"that's my soul up there" Sting pointing to the crowd

then

"There's a little black spot on the sun today
It's the same old thing as yesterday"

the crowd does wild because it 'sounded COOL" a hearing-ness sense of the aurul/sonic buzz but they have NO idea this song was about depression.....(not in a medical term as it is used now...but more as in a poetic, intellectual way)
you can easily find a link of a you tube of King of Pain in the concerts really shows quite a lot...

Dancing in everything that i enjoy. Beatles is what I enjoy. I ll come back to it.

Hearing people tends to toy with the words that sounds like that words are irony. I find it funny at most of time. :lol:

Being able to make phone calls, watching movies at the theater without some kind of captioning device, watching plays, yeah those kind of things are nice

Yes the way they talk amazes me and I am learning. I play in a gaming site where I see people type their conversations. Before age of computers I never "listened" to hearing people talk simply because I can't. I can only get what they say TO me. So by being in a game where people talk, insult, joke or anything amazes me. It's like I'm discovering a new world and no one knows I'm deaf and I feel like I belong.

Music for sure...whenever I hear a song that sounds good, I always Google the lyrics so I know what they're saying first--if I didn't do that, I could end up liking a song like "Blurred Lines" or something

can you be a bit more specific? give 4 examples...please don't be mean to deaf culture, realise this you're ACTUALLY IN A FORUM FOR DEAF PEOPLE !!! WHAT DOES THIS MEANS TO YOU?!! some common experiences? no?

I don't think there's a "hearing" culture. Hearing people don't think about their hearing. They don't do things, make things and what not with the thought in mind that they can do these things because they can hear. When you go for a walk you don't leave the house thinking I'm going to go for a walk because I can, you just do it. It's a non issue. I don't why you'd think I'd bash the deaf culture. I'm not involved in it so I don't anything to complain about it.

I'd say music, but the only way to apply that to culture is if you're talking music of different cultures, American, Arab, French etc etc etc.

Being able to talk to someone in another room, but again I don't feel right think of that as "hearing" culture. I don't think just because there's a Deaf culture there's automatically a hearing one. I mean who exactly are you talking about? Because that would be like everybody in the world and they come from different cultures. Deaf are more like a subculture to the Culture where they live. Believe it or not, unless someone lives in a bubble the hearing world has had an influence on their lives, the clothes they wear, mannerisms, food, education etc etc etc.

It's the ability I miss Grummer, not the culture. I'm still smack dab in the middle of the culture, but honestly I miss out on things because I'm not hearing.

Back