What do deaf people say that bothers you as a deaf person?

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
There have been threads that show reasons why deaf people are upset at hearing people and their ignorant comments. However, I am curious if there is anything that bothers you (assuming that you are deaf/HoH) that other deaf people would say in AllDeaf.com. The comment may represent only a few people or the majority of the deaf community. For example, for me, it bothers me when deaf parents would do anything to ensure a deaf baby (this is different from "hoping for a deaf baby"). This probably only describes a handful of people, but I definitely know one in person and it bothers me. I realize that this thread has big potential to be a fire-spreader, so I ask that if you have a big problem with someone’s post, take it to another thread. This purpose of this thread is to show the varied opinions among deaf people. One stereotype of the deaf community is that all Deaf people have the same opinions. If you think this is will cause too much anger or whatnot (I AM new after all), go ahead and lock this thread.

Yes indeed you are new in here... so I'm suggesting you that you should making a good first impression first before you wanna roll up your sleeves and start talking about something controversial... otherwise you'll be viewed as a person who likes to poke beehive just for sheer enjoyment
amazon.gif

As for your question - I don't know but I have heard of a certain deaf community who is very ardent in being deaf as a unique culture - they're anti-HA/anti-CI.

Yes indeed you are new in here... so I'm suggesting you that you should making a good first impression first before you wanna roll up your sleeves and start talking about something controversial... otherwise you'll be viewed as a person who likes to poke beehive just for sheer enjoyment
amazon.gif

As for your question - I don't know but I have heard of a certain deaf community who is very ardent in being deaf as a unique culture - they're anti-HA/anti-CI.

I've introduced myself as a person who likes to talk and debate about controversial things (not just deaf things, but religion, politics, so on), but I DO try to listen and understand what the other person is saying and question them further, as they question me further. I feel I get more education in this way rather than just skim the surface, avoiding any possibility offending people. It's okay if people don't agree with me. As I said, we can close this thread.

I've introduced myself as a person who likes to talk and debate about controversial things (not just deaf things, but religion, politics, so on), but I DO try to listen and understand what the other person is saying and question them further, as they question me further. I feel I get more education in this way rather than just skim the surface, avoiding any possibility offending people. It's okay if people don't agree with me. As I said, we can close this thread.

yes you did introduce yourself to us but we need to get to KNOW about you first. I think you may effectively learn everybody's POV if we all know each other. It's just how it is. :dunno: I think I did not greet you when you introduced yourself but welcome to AD! :cool2:

let's not stir a beehive in here as your first thing in AD. BTW - religion discussion is banned in AD.

I dislike the shrug and "You know, deaf of course" comment. As in of course adults are called by their first name. We are all deaf. Privately I translate this to mean they are saying Deaf Culture lacks cultured manners.

I really don't think "an initiation period" must be served here first before one tackles any concept.

I really don't think "an initiation period" must be served here first before one tackles any concept.

it's more of an unspoken rule to get to know of each other before getting into it. For ie - in most debates, elections, social gatherings, discussions, etc... we all know each other's background and some story first. Naturally if there's a stranger who spoke up out of nowhere... he/she is naturally dismissed (not always but it's how it is).

I agree. This is a public forum not a club.

It is open to anyone that would like to ask or answer questions, first time or not on this site

I hate it when culturally Deaf people reject me cuz of my oral upbringing but I have learned not to let it bother me as it used to when I was new to the Deaf community about 10 years ago.

I say "FUCK U ' to them if they dont want to be my friend cuz I wasnt raised with ASL or espeically from a Deaf family.

That's all that annoys me. LOL!

I'm just a bit annoyed when people say how ASL is a language in its own right, as if that meant it was superior to other modes of signing communication. Although it's true that it is its own language, and most people believe it's superior, I'd rather see reasons that actually demonstrate their point of view. For example:
ASL is more efficient than SEE/PSE. (state example here)
ASL is more expressive than SEE/PSE. (state example here)
ASL is less ambiguous than SEE/PSE. (state example here)

Things like that. Whether they're true or not, that is a debate for another thread, but in my view, the fact that it's a language doesn't prove its superior suitability.

yeah I agree with u there Shel90.
its annoying if other deaf people think ur "fake" because u were raised orally and/or wear hearing aids. There are some Deaf people (Capital D deaf, that is) out there that dislike other deaf people who don't really use ASL. there's also some extreme ones who are against CIs and HAs. This, in my opinion, is being extremely narrow minded and a very ugly view of life. The attitude of thinking that wearing HAs/CIs is wrong, is exactly like a visually challenged person tossing off their glasses and saying "screw it! i'll just live with my myopia/astigmatism/whatever disorder!" and crash n bump into things. There is NO logic in that mindset.

yeah I agree with u there Shel90.
its annoying if other deaf people think ur "fake" because u were raised orally and/or wear hearing aids. There are some Deaf people (Capital D deaf, that is) out there that dislike other deaf people who don't really use ASL. there's also some extreme ones who are against CIs and HAs. This, in my opinion, is being extremely narrow minded and a very ugly view of life. The attitude of thinking that wearing HAs/CIs is wrong, is exactly like a visually challenged person tossing off their glasses and saying "screw it! i'll just live with my myopia/astigmatism/whatever disorder!" and crash n bump into things. There is NO logic in that mindset.

I agree ^^

I hate when get on others for not having their other senses heightened. Like we're all supposed to be deaf super humans or something.

I'm just a bit annoyed when people say how ASL is a language in its own right, as if that meant it was superior to other modes of signing communication. Although it's true that it is its own language, and most people believe it's superior, I'd rather see reasons that actually demonstrate their point of view. For example:

Things like that. Whether they're true or not, that is a debate for another thread, but in my view, the fact that it's a language doesn't prove its superior suitability.

Should we change the syntax and grammar of spoken English to follow ASL grammar? Many deaf people in the past when SEE was first created felt offended that some hearing person took their language and alternated it. It would be like taking Spoken English and alternate it by making it follow ASL's syntax and structure.

Hope u see from their point of view . U dont have to agree with it.

Should we change the syntax and grammar of spoken English to follow ASL grammar? Many deaf people in the past when SEE was first created felt offended that some hearing person took their language and alternated it. It would be like taking Spoken English and alternate it by making it follow ASL's syntax and structure.

Hope u see from their point of view . U dont have to agree with it.

Maybe we should come up with an AVL -- American Vocal Language -- that reflects ASL .. but it would most likely be way beyond the comprehension of most hearing if we're to include all the advantages of ASL. But no, that's not what I was saying. I meant, if you're going to advocate something, do it for the right reason. You could say "ASL is our native language," and that would be a great valid reason to me. But just saying it's a language .. they're usually debating which language is best to teach deaf babies born in America so they'll grow up to be most successful in life in general. I'm trying really hard to be open to all views while I'm on this thread, and not advocate one more than another, because that's not the purpose of this thread.

What bothers me about some members of deaf culture is that they're not very accepting people. Matter of fact they will judge you if you're not like them. if you were raised oral, and if you do not share the same language (ASL) as them, then you're not deaf enough to be part of the deaf community. They would say something along the line of if the ears don't work, then why do you need to learn speech? You must be part of the hearing world"

The bottom line is, if you been raised with sign supported speech, Signed English, Cued Speech, and Oral-- These are not languages that supported Deaf culture. Only ASL that is what's so important to them. That's why I don't involved myself much in the deaf community, if there is gonna be people like them there.

Exactly!! I'm with you, I get annoyed too.

Remember people, we are not here to argue.. I'm hoping that this will allow people to say what they think without people attacking them. This is more of a throw on the table type of thing rather than a discussion. This CAN be a discussion, only in another thread.

Back