What do deaf people say that bothers you as a deaf person?

100,000 town is called a small town? :hmm:

yes, especially when you consider the population of the deaf community within that size of the city "small town" - its not big.

Last edited:
Even though my posts removed, I still don't like the who is deafest, or you are not deaf enough games.

The only peeve I have with the deaf community is...

I am proficient in ASL and I can speak as well. So, I easily can switch from signing to speaking or vice versa.

The peeve is; Whenever I am with a group of deaf people at a bar, restaurant, or other places, etc - At least ONE or TWO will end up asking me to speak the orders for them. At times I would not mind doing that for them but when it gets to the point where it becomes constant, that just becomes annoying.

At times, Whenever I speak - Some of the time a deaf person would be like "Oh you can talk! You don't need to talk cuz you can use a pen and paper." And at times, I'm not in the mood to use a pen and a paper. I just want to talk just so that way I can get it across faster. Sure, I'd use a pen and a paper to communicate only if it is really necessary. :roll:

The only peeve I have with the deaf community is...

I am proficient in ASL and I can speak as well. So, I easily can switch from signing to speaking or vice versa.

The peeve is; Whenever I am with a group of deaf people at a bar, restaurant, or other places, etc - At least ONE or TWO will end up asking me to speak the orders for them. At times I would not mind doing that for them but when it gets to the point where it becomes constant, that just becomes annoying.

At times, Whenever I speak - Some of the time a deaf person would be like "Oh you can talk! You don't need to talk cuz you can use a pen and paper." And at times, I'm not in the mood to use a pen and a paper. I just want to talk just so that way I can get it across faster. Sure, I'd use a pen and a paper to communicate only if it is really necessary. :roll:

That is equivalent to a hearing person telling us that we dont need sign language cuz we can talk so good.

Sometimes I just want to bang my head on the wall whenever I get these comments from hearing or deaf people!!!

That is equivalent to a hearing person telling us that we dont need sign language cuz we can talk so good.

Sometimes I just want to bang my head on the wall whenever I get these comments from hearing or deaf people!!!

No kidding!

I can understand that coming from a hearing person because not all of these hearing people are acknowledged with how a deaf person functions in a society. Some of them have never met a deaf person, so it's natural.

BUT

When it comes from a deaf person itself, That is what I just don't get because you'd think we are deaf, it would be better on the same level as we all are coming from the same core of being deaf. Unfortunately, sad but true, it's not like that.

*bangs head on desk*

No kidding!

I can understand that coming from a hearing person because not all of these hearing people are acknowledged with how a deaf person functions in a society. Some of them have never met a deaf person, so it's natural.

BUT

When it comes from a deaf person itself, That is what I just don't get because you'd think we are deaf, it would be better on the same level as we all are coming from the same core of being deaf. Unfortunately, sad but true, it's not like that.

*bangs head on desk*

These deaf people probably had so many people telling them how to live their lives so they probably think that's socially acceptable to tell others what to do. :dunno:

1) It bothers me when some deaf people have very low self esteem. This breaks my heart.

2) How about deaf peeps who are 'bigheaded?' - having big ego or being on ego trip, not respecting others' boundaries?

3) Justifying rudeness as a deaf culture thing. That's a cop-out.

1) It bothers me when some deaf people have very low self esteem. This breaks my heart.

2) How about deaf peeps who are 'bigheaded?' - having big ego or being on ego trip, not respecting others' boundaries?

:gpost:

Just giving a penny for my thoughts. :)

What bothers me as a deaf person from another deaf person would be... if we were in a setting such as a store, a restaurant, or somewhere outside of your place of residence... a deaf person would come up to you after seeing you chatting in sign... and ask...are you deaf? My response... yea... "OH! Me too!" Then they'd go on with brief version of their life story that I didn't want to hear about. I can only understand that deaf community itself is small, although... it isn't really necessary to go up to a group of people signing and interrupt their conversation and then talk away about their life story and asking you questions "Name? From Where? What doing here? etc"

Even though, I'd admit that I'm guilty of that when I was very young... only because my hearing parents told me to do it. They would just beam silly seeing me chatting with some deaf adults. Looking back... oh man... I couldn't believe I did it and how they had to put up with me. OY!! So, I'm alright with young children coming up to me, but not adults, you know?

Same concept... hearing doesn't go up to other hearing person. Rather to respect their boundaries. Only time I'm fine with new people coming up to me would be at events and such, you know?

Just giving a penny for my thoughts. :)

What bothers me as a deaf person from another deaf person would be... if we were in a setting such as a store, a restaurant, or somewhere outside of your place of residence... a deaf person would come up to you after seeing you chatting in sign... and ask...are you deaf? My response... yea... "OH! Me too!" Then they'd go on with brief version of their life story that I didn't want to hear about. I can only understand that deaf community itself is small, although... it isn't really necessary to go up to a group of people signing and interrupt their conversation and then talk away about their life story and asking you questions "Name? From Where? What doing here? etc"

Even though, I'd admit that I'm guilty of that when I was very young... only because my hearing parents told me to do it. They would just beam silly seeing me chatting with some deaf adults. Looking back... oh man... I couldn't believe I did it and how they had to put up with me. OY!! So, I'm alright with young children coming up to me, but not adults, you know?

Same concept... hearing doesn't go up to other hearing person. Rather to respect their boundaries. Only time I'm fine with new people coming up to me would be at events and such, you know?

:rofl:
Just imagining a hearing person going up to a group of people speaking to each other and asking, "Hey, are you hearing? Me too!!! WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!" and suddenly telling his life story while everybody looks at him like, "What mental institution did he break out of?"

Just imagining a hearing person going up to a group of people speaking to each other and asking, "Hey, are you hearing? Me too!!! WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!" and suddenly telling his life story while everybody looks at him like, "What mental institution did he break out of?"

What if he comes to you and really starts telling what institution he broke out as his life story? :D

-

there's extremes low-feelings and powerful-feelings, it's a sure sign deaf people are oppressed, i dont even just mean the signing deaf, even mainstreamed oral has taken a raw deal too.

yup, the culture thing has been getting abused

good posting

Or their health problems. UGH!

LOL! Loved it ;)

Hi she90, do not feel so mindful of what other people say or comments about deaf people. You need to have a strong mindset so as not to fell for what kind of comments they have just said to you. Just be yourself for who you are.

In life you need to think for yourself and be happy for who you are, why were you born into this world for that and you have the right to live the way you want. Don't let people belittle you or otherwise you might hear all the nonsense from them. It is not the way you are suppose to think like that. Everything what you have experienced throughout your journey of life is your vast knowledge that you should have the learning edge to change yourself for a better and a brighter future.

Till then do take care.

* The world will not be here without your thoughts - ohiit.com *

Regarding the topic of "What do deaf people say that bothers you as a deaf person?" to began with.

Life isn't always rosy as everyone thought out to be. Don't think so much about how inferior you all are. All you have to do is step forward and show to the hearing person that "YOU ARE BETTER THAN THEM". Prove it by your worth and confidence. Only with a great mindset will get you guys far ahead no matter whether you are deaf or hearing. It doesn't matter what life you are in right now.

Always think positive and have the right discipline to correct your mindset and have great hindsight for yourselves after what you all guys/ladies has been through. There is no point in dwelling onto it. Yes I can say you all have the right to voice out your problems. But think back and relook for what you all have experience in the past and should experience a better change for now.

Don't have to let hearing people opinion, comments or voice go into your life or you will fell into the weak mindset where you might be living and dwelling onto "WHY AM I SO LOUSY AT THE LOWEST POINT OF MY LIFE?"

Do not ever think that way. You need to have the discpline to think finer details of your life and only this way everyone in the deaf community will look into a brighter future with happiness no matter whether the sky has befallen on you. Move on and fight for it with your mental strengths.

Till then so long :wave:

* The world will not be here without your thoughts - ohiit.com *

Reincarnation of AG Bell?

I hope not! I asked a friend about this guy because I want to know if his (2nd) wife did get CI or not. Turned out that they are no longer an item. He and a girlfriend also broke up.

Back