What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned this morning that the audiologist recommended Widex Super for me. Anybody has those??

My stepmother does, with a mold for profound fitting.

She likes them and they are pretty small.

But that's not personal experience.

I learned the people in the class after mine not only talk loudly in the area right outside, with no regard for the class going on, but the instant they figure out class is over they march in and take over, with no regard (or respect) for the fact that not only are many people packing up, still, but some students are still in their seats.

Rude.

I was talking to a policeman and a FedEx guy stopped to talk the policeman about the traffic light not working and the cop was telling us when you stop for traffic light and don't stop right at the stop line the traffic lights won't get a signal that a car there and you'll end waiting longer for a green light .
Now I know why I have wait longer when cars in front of me stop pass the stop line for red light .

I learned the people in the class after mine not only talk loudly in the area right outside, with no regard for the class going on, but the instant they figure out class is over they march in and take over, with no regard (or respect) for the fact that not only are many people packing up, still, but some students are still in their seats.

Rude.
Yes it is. Your instructor needs to take action on this.

I've learned that I gotta learn to keep my mouth shut and keep my emotions in check.

I sure got my foot in my mouth big time today.

I've also remembered one lesson I've learned in past. Never count on money till you actually have it in hand.

Yes it is. Your instructor needs to take action on this.

They (it's a husband/wife team that teaches the class) stayed to talk to the next professor. It's the second week of class so it hasn't been going on for too long, luckily. They had to be told twice to shut it. Most of the class, and one of the instructors is hearing, so it was super distracting.

They'd walk in during class if they could get away with it. Be super confused, too, since the class is in ASL. Looking forward to a change next week.

*THUD* I just learned my friend is not who I remember. He has white hair now, from high stress, and he's 3 YEARS YOUNGER than me. :shock:

Some people get white hair young , I had friend that started getting white hair in her 20's and son did too.

I learned how to use our new wireless home security system that recently got upgraded. Can use my phone to arm and disarm my house. Love it!!!! Ever since the situation with my neighbors, now need to use our security system more often. It will send me texts on who is entering or leaving the house so I can watch those evil kids of ours when they are home alone. Heheheh...neat!!!!

Some people get white hair young , I had friend that started getting white hair in her 20's and son did too.

He wasn't that way a year and a half ago. He had natural brown hair, but this job he does now has his stress levels SKY-HIGH, and his friends and I are worried about his health, and with good reason. We do not want something bad happening to him.

tumblr_n3hydx2y2x1s48ibpo1_500.gif

That there is a new Longhorn Steakhouse in Lincolnwood. :shock: Someday I just may try that place out-- when they're done with construction, that is.

He wasn't that way a year and a half ago. He had natural brown hair, but this job he does now has his stress levels SKY-HIGH, and his friends and I are worried about his health, and with good reason. We do not want something bad happening to him.
Depends... seems like there's mixed consensus in the scientific community about it...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-stress-causes-gray-hair/

"In short, scientists are beginning to gather clues that stress can hasten the graying process, but there is no scientific evidence demonstrating a cause-and-effect relationship"

Seems more speculation than anything-
http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-health-11/hair-stress-effect

One of my aunts went gray in her 20s from what I know. She was one of the least stressed person I knew; the only stressor she may have had I didn't find out until after her death- agoraphobia. She was also a heavy smoker and I'm betting that also may have had an impact.

My husband's family is pre-mature greyers. Our youngest daughter tells me that she colors her hair because she's already seeing grey hairs. She's 21.

I have certainly had a lot of stress in my life, especially the lat 6-7 years and, though i have some grey hairs, I'm still mostly a brunette.

Depends... seems like there's mixed consensus in the scientific community about it...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-stress-causes-gray-hair/

"In short, scientists are beginning to gather clues that stress can hasten the graying process, but there is no scientific evidence demonstrating a cause-and-effect relationship"

Seems more speculation than anything-
http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-health-11/hair-stress-effect

One of my aunts went gray in her 20s from what I know. She was one of the least stressed person I knew; the only stressor she may have had I didn't find out until after her death- agoraphobia. She was also a heavy smoker and I'm betting that also may have had an impact.

Here's the thing though-- he used to be an administrator at the Iowa School for the Deaf a few years ago, and his stress levels were nearly indentical to this, but he didn't start getting white hair until very recently. Also, he travels to 5 or more different states in a very short amount of time, and that's why he has the stress levels he does now. His girlfriend and his friends (myself included) want him to quit, so he can reduce that stress, and return back to a normal life.

Regarding the white hair and stress, I had a very stressful job in my mid-20s and yet my hair stayed blonde/brownish. So that theory of stress making your hair go white isn't quite valid.

depends on what 'normal life' is.

Betting that there's a lot of genetics involved... stress MAY be a contributor. If he had the same stress level in a previous job then he would have started going gray THEN. Good of you and her to be worried but don't push the guy-- if it is a job he actually does enjoy doing there's no reason to push him to quit. Maybe suggest ways to relax or he could talk to HR or others within his work place to reduce his work load in different ways.

I know of a hearing guy who while he does work from home as a programmer- he lives in a different state from the home office (a small company and he used to live there) does travel quite often to many states to train or work with clients on their databases/software his Co. provides. On top of that he was divorced a few years ago (the relationship was um.. stressful- only know because I know his wife and him)...last pic I saw of him his hair was barely gray. Could speculate too that it depends on how a person and their body handles stress. Your friend is the only one who knows whether or not he FEELS stressed or not.

depends on what 'normal life' is.

Betting that there's a lot of genetics involved... stress MAY be a contributor. If he had the same stress level in a previous job then he would have started going gray THEN. Good of you and her to be worried but don't push the guy-- if it is a job he actually does enjoy doing there's no reason to push him to quit. Maybe suggest ways to relax or he could talk to HR or others within his work place to reduce his work load in different ways.

I know of a hearing guy who while he does work from home as a programmer- he lives in a different state from the home office (a small company and he used to live there) does travel quite often to many states to train or work with clients on their databases/software his Co. provides. On top of that he was divorced a few years ago (the relationship was um.. stressful- only know because I know his wife and him)...last pic I saw of him his hair was barely gray. Could speculate too that it depends on how a person and their body handles stress. Your friend is the only one who knows whether or not he FEELS stressed or not.

I beg to differ on that. I've known him 11 years, and I know how he is. I also happen to have seen him that way before, so I believe them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back