What are you thinking about? Part VIII

How the cost of food has gone up . I went to Market Basket to buy some veggie and the tomatoes I like were $2.63 a lbs. ! Some guy was standing there looking sticker shocked and said one big tomatoes weight about a lbs. and a BLT would cost $10. 00! And we didn't get a COL increase on SS or SSI this years. A head of lettuce I like was $2.00 . I wonder a family can afford to eat veggies at these prices . The guy didn't buy any tomatoes he just walked away. What are other people buying for veggies today??

I know what you mean, it's scary to go to the supermarket these days, it costs more every week for the same foods. Veggies are so expensive in the winter, I mostly resort to canned and frozen vegetables.

I know what you mean, it's scary to go to the supermarket these days, it costs more every week for the same foods. Veggies are so expensive in the winter, I mostly resort to canned and frozen vegetables.

I really like having a salad everyday , I think the drought and fires in Calf. has cause the price to go up more . Veggies were never this expense during the winter , that is almost 3 dollars for a lbs. of tomatoes. I don't like canned veggies or frozen veggies .

I am a frozen gal. Virtually all I buy is bagged frozen. That way I can pour out just want I want and but the rest back in the freezer.

I live in east Anglian most green veg grown here but due to floods the price will go up.
I thinking tomorrow I must do something

I'm thinking about a dog-related educational event this weekend I will attend and also we have my youngest' second re-check with x-rays next week.

Vegetables....I eat lots of veggies, love steamed frozen veggies like brussels sprouts, broccoli...also like salads.

Hubbie HATES veggies:lol:

I'm thinking about a dog-related educational event this weekend I will attend and also we have my youngest' second re-check with x-rays next week.

Vegetables....I eat lots of veggies, love steamed frozen veggies like brussels sprouts, broccoli...also like salads.

Hubbie HATES veggies:lol:

The frozen veggies packages are too much for one person .
The dog food store I go to is having a dog-related educational event too I
think it this weekend . I got an email about it. I not going , I found a dog food that agree with Marty's tummy and will stay with it.

do you mean it's too costly or it's too many veggies in the package?

I can see how it would be hard sometimes to plan meals for one person.

Actually since my husband HATES veggies, all the frozen vegetables I buy are only for me, mostly <occasionally may use something like green beans for dog treats>. I remember when my folks first introduced me to broccoli as a little girl. We had a lot of vegetables and salads growing up and at first I hated the broccoli, but quickly got to really like it.

My dogs get all kinds of different food.

I am a frozen gal. Virtually all I buy is bagged frozen. That way I can pour out just want I want and but the rest back in the freezer.

The frozen veggies packages are too much for one person .

Actually since my husband HATES veggies, all the frozen vegetables I buy are only for me, mostly <occasionally may use something like green beans for dog treats>. I remember when my folks first introduced me to broccoli as a little girl. We had a lot of vegetables and salads growing up and at first I hated the broccoli, but quickly got to really like it.

I may be on WDYS's ignore list as she did not comment on my post about frozen veggies in bags. See my post 463 that I have quoted above.

The bags are actually larger than the boxes but the bags can have just a small amount poured out and cooked. Then use a twisty to close the bag (I also put it in a zip-lock type bag just in case the twisty comes loose) and put back in the freezer.

As a single person I find this much better than trying to buy fresh in an amount that I will use for sure before it goes bad.

I do find myself passing up some things that look like they would be good but make toooooo much at once for a single person — storage to save part to use later is also a consideration. I do think this makes meal planning harder or with less fewer choices.

I've sometimes found too that if I get some fresh veggies it goes bad before i can finish it.

A few days ago I made a soup with some leftover black beans that I was trying to figure out what to do with, and some fresh green pepper that I cut up. The soup was a non-dairy creamy corn soup. It ended up tasting good - wasn't quite sure at the beginning!

I've sometimes found too that if I get some fresh veggies it goes bad before i can finish it.

A few days ago I made a soup with some leftover black beans that I was trying to figure out what to do with, and some fresh green pepper that I cut up. The soup was a non-dairy creamy corn soup. It ended up tasting good - wasn't quite sure at the beginning!

The descriptive sentence that you have used doesn't bother me that much. BUT it really gets me when on vegan cooking shows it goes on about "faux cheddar cheese" or the way they describe some things used in place of meat. I feel that the products should be something that is good as what it really is not as a "faux" (think that is the fancy spelling of fake products) something else.

The descriptive sentence that you have used doesn't bother me that much. BUT it really gets me when on vegan cooking shows it goes on about "faux cheddar cheese" or the way they describe some things used in place of meat. I feel that the products should be something that is good as what it really is not as a "faux" (think that is the fancy spelling of fake products) something else.

I always think it doesn't help to have these substitutes, as you aren't embracing a new healthier lifestyle, but trying to cling to the old meat eating life that wasn't healthy

I have this argument with son he uses veggi bacon taste alike Why you give up meat get use to sprouts As bot embrace being veggi.obviously they missing certain taste

I see what both Jane and Botti are saying. I tend to agree, I generally avoid soy protein things like that...we do use the Daiya vegan cheese for the same reason I had the "Creamy" corn soup - diary allergies. I have not had any milk for some years. In the case of the Daiya cheese, also because my husband had very high cholesterol.

In place of meat I do more whole meatless foods, like beans, and eggs, I do a lot of eggs and egg whites.

I also eat fish.

Re the frozen vegetables... I did that all the time when I lived alone. Pour out the amount you want, twisty on it, throw back into the freezer. Here mom gets the bigger size and even with 3 people we still have more to go- so back in the freezer it goes.

Fresh veggies- I've found the same to be true. I will make a big pot of mac & cheese mixed with fresh sauteed veggies and refrigerate the rest.... and eat it for the rest of the week lol (I don't mind honestly). Definitely harder to get something like one serving for a salad or something but I sometimes eat raw tomatoes too (yummy).

Man... we haven't had a big salad for dinner in a while... :hmm:

No it not too costly , I can't eat the packed and once the package is open the veggies get freezer burn if I don't eat it up fast enough . Yeah its hard to plan a meal for one person but my dog will beg to difference on this and say he will gladly help me finish any left over ! :giggle:
I went to the store today and there was sign up saying the bad weather we having in Florida, Cal ,Mexico and some other states making it hard to get
some veggies so this is driving up the cost. I don't think we had many salads at a kids, my dad loved boil white potatoes so we had that a lot .
My mom was not the best cook she never made any homemade pies.

No it not too costly , I can't eat the packed and once the package is open the veggies get freezer burn if I don't eat it up fast enough .

It does not get freezer burn unless you are not sealing it very well.

WDYS, my dogs will happily help us with leftovers too:lol:
my big girl likes lettuce, my younger dog, not much.

My mom has never been a baker and hasn't ever made a homemade pie. The sweet things she's made include kugels and when I was a kid we made chocolate chip cookies together but it was from a mix. She made things like chili and spaghetti with the sauce, and various chicken dishes, mac and cheese...oh, of course, her chicken matzoh ball soup that she still makes:D
my dad makes lots of types of chicken and did a lot of backyard girlling when I was a little girl; he also makes an amazing meatloaf my hub loves, and he used to make liver and onions and salmon patties. I really liked his salmon patties, but not the liver and onions.

I like the idea of a "Twistie Tie" or something like that - I've seen my folks use a rubber band - to bunch up the opened frozen veggie bag so it doesn't come open by accident. I usually just bunch the veggies packages up and stuff them in the bottom freezer drawer but it has happened that they fall over or something and the bag comes open.

I heard about the prices and the weatther and have noticed the changes here.

I do the rubber band thing on the frozen veg bags, and then put that bag into a quart size zip lock baggie. No freezer burn, they keep a long time.

I do the rubber band thing on the frozen veg bags, and then put that bag into a quart size zip lock baggie. No freezer burn, they keep a long time.

As i said earlier, this is my method also but with a twisty saved for something like bread instead of the rubber band. Sometime I will have more than one bag of the same veg. on hand and will but both unopened ones and the open one in a larger zip lock freezer bag.

Prob should put this under tecki thread but using iPad and have press real hard is it possible there setting don't have press so hard bit more sensitive

Back