What are you thinking about? Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me share with you. With my personal experience flying many placed and security. I taught my daughter or my son about flying rules. Number one rules... study!!! LOL. What I mean about "Study"?? Is to show the kids of all the airport maps of where to go. Some airport need to get on the "bus" to go from one terminal to another terminal. Study where all the airline are located. Now the most important to allow the kids know how much time layover. If kids have 1 hours layover between two airlines, tell them not to rush.. just take your time to do sight seeing on the way to other airline. Some layover are like 15 minutes in between...run!!!!!! Never know how far apart between two airlines! It's okay to run... LOL Secondly, never asked strangers of where this is or where is that located or whatever. Always ask directly to security, or any of airport workers or front ticket services (doen't matter what airline..just ask!!) or Avis Car Rental or whatever.
Now the last part..it's the most distressing sound... in any event of terrorist attack, You need to show the kids of where to meet...once find the best TWO locations.. because if one location they are not allow to go there, so have to use back up location. Then share with other people who ever picking them up will know where to meet.
So, get the idea..is to study and talk with them, show them (the kids) to get familar with all the locations.
Plane is better than train, my advise. Hope that helped.

A lot of this depends on the maturity level of your daughter.

There will be a lot of security with airports, less with Amtrak.

Is there any way to do a test run of a shorter length?

SneakerNet - she could not handle any kind of lay-over. With her specific learning issues, she would not understand and would get lost totally.

Glenn - for the most part, she is just under her age level, but I think for this, she is not mature enough to be left alone. My mother's concerns about Amtrak is that she would not be able to have a chaperone and would feel uncomfortable to be in a car with a lot of other people. She thinks on a plane, if she had a female chaperone she would be fine, but she's still unsure. She does not trust men at all for much of anything except trouble.

This is all just checking for now, we may still not do it, and there's a chance that I might have to go with her if we could afford it. You know, me fly up and then make sure she meets up with family, then fly back and do it again after the summer. We will see.

SneakerNet - she could not handle any kind of lay-over. With her specific learning issues, she would not understand and would get lost totally.

Aaaah..ok, I wasn't sure of her level of maturity or LD she have. Yes, chaperone will be very helpful.

Wondering - How safe is it for me to let my daughter fly from West Palm Beach, FL to Kansas City by herself. She has never been on a plane and can pretty much take care of herself, but I worry about change of planes or such. Also wondering if Amtrak would be better or safe, but I'm not sure. She has a friend that lives in a small Kansas town close to Kansas City who would love to see my daughter. They were best friends when both lived in the Hallsville/Columbia, MO area. We moved East to the St. Louis area and Shannon moved West to Kansas. Shannon's family has said that my daughter could come visit for a summer, but if we stay here in FL, I'm trying to figure out a safe way for her to get there and back. Daughter is 17 now. Any suggestions?

My daughter flew alone from DC to Boston to visit me when I was doing my student teaching intership at The Learning Center when she was 5 years old. yes, she had a chaperone and was fine. I was soooooo nervous.

Since she moved to AZ, she has been flying here from AZ alone. Of course, I purchase nonstop or layovers without changing planes kind of flights.

Yeah

the input was only my thoughts. :mrgreen:

if I had the $10,000 I'd be travelling right now

if I had $10,000.... I would be investing it and rake in $$$$$$$ enough to travel for a few years :)

Glenn - for the most part, she is just under her age level, but I think for this, she is not mature enough to be left alone. My mother's concerns about Amtrak is that she would not be able to have a chaperone and would feel uncomfortable to be in a car with a lot of other people. She thinks on a plane, if she had a female chaperone she would be fine, but she's still unsure. She does not trust men at all for much of anything except trouble.

This is all just checking for now, we may still not do it, and there's a chance that I might have to go with her if we could afford it. You know, me fly up and then make sure she meets up with family, then fly back and do it again after the summer. We will see.

yes some airlines have chaperone service. be very sure to let them know about your daughter's LD.

if I had $10,000.... I would be investing it and rake in $$$$$$$ enough to travel for a few years :)
Ohh investments are good!

I am also thinking and very tempted on this job application 'Web Content Officer' the salary is MORE than I earn :eek: but the job is what I need - all web developing related :shock:

Thinking that my daughter forgets my birthday for the 2nd year in a row.I am so disgusted with all of them...my daughter, my ex hubby, his girlfriend and my former in laws.

Thinking that my daughter forgets my birthday for the 2nd year in a row.I am so disgusted with all of them...my daughter, my ex hubby, his girlfriend and my former in laws.

Awww - here hon, you need this: :hug:

Ohh investments are good!

I am also thinking and very tempted on this job application 'Web Content Officer' the salary is MORE than I earn :eek: but the job is what I need - all web developing related :shock:

it also means more of your hard-earned money will go into paying off your debt for a while :aw:

oh I'm sorry to hear that, doll..... :grouphug:

but just stay strong! this rough patch will pass in no time... but you just gotta stay strong.

I am thinking about the severe weather we are to get later tonight. According to local reports there will be hail, damaging winds, and if all comes together just right at least one EF2 or greater intensity tornado tonight.

GRRRRRRREEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

I am thinking about the severe weather we are to get later tonight. According to local reports there will be hail, damaging winds, and if all comes together just right at least one EF2 or greater intensity tornado tonight.

Iowa lost most of a town called Mapleton a few days ago to a tornado.

We've got snow on the way !!! :lol:

Just what I needed after having beautiful 70+ degree weather ... Sigh!

Imitating Tony the Tiger??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back