What am I a two year old??

I had a teacher in Elementary school that did this. I was in 5th grade she was the science teacher and she very much babied me around. She would get right in my face and speak slowly and over exagerate her words, which actually made it more difficult to speech-read. She also would come back have me write down every homework assignment in detail then put it in a folder and watched me put it in my bag, then she would call my parents every night and tell them that she assigned homework and wanted to make sure I got home with it and completed it. It was embarrassing. Thank god she moved after that school year. A lot of students had problems with her I recall and I assume the adminstration did as well.

Deafness doesn't leave one incapable of thinking for themselves.

I had a teacher in Elementary school that did this. I was in 5th grade she was the science teacher and she very much babied me around. She would get right in my face and speak slowly and over exagerate her words, which actually made it more difficult to speech-read. She also would come back have me write down every homework assignment in detail then put it in a folder and watched me put it in my bag, then she would call my parents every night and tell them that she assigned homework and wanted to make sure I got home with it and completed it. It was embarrassing. Thank god she moved after that school year. A lot of students had problems with her I recall and I assume the adminstration did as well.

Deafness doesn't leave one incapable of thinking for themselves.

Annoying back then...but at least she took the time to make sure you were getting your work done. To many teachers really don't care. Yes, a tad extreme, but you still remember her...lol!

It would have been one thing if she had the entire class do it, but it was just me she was doing this to, like I was incapable of getting home with my schoolwork and doing it on my own. I was a B and C student, not the best, but I was passing.

A lot of the C's were due to no longer having the FM system.

My math tutor from last semester talked to me the other day and he said I just never got the basics somewhere, and now that I have the basics, I have something to build on.

I've had people stick their face very, very close to mine and talk, I have to gently push people back from me so I can see them properly. Where do they get that idea that I can't see them unless they're really close?

In the hospital, I've been wheeled on a gurney while someone was talking to me upside-down. I wish hospitals would give training to staff about hearing-impaired people.

"pull up their moustache" so I can see their lips....

Well, it actually makes them look stupid and childish!..All I can say is: Try and have patience! Easier said than done, becuz I've blowed up many, many times!!! :D

:rofl2:

I can imagine that! One holding on to their mustache, while talking!

yep, have that happened to me. I have came up with different sarcastic remarks to get back at them. One of them actually dumbed down the English and talked to me in short phrases like "YOUUUUU DEEEEEEEAAAAAATTTHHH? UUUU HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPP? YOU UNNNNNDDDDDERRRRSTTTANNNDDD MEEEE?"

I just shook my head and spoke in rapid English "youhearing?youneedhelp?canuunderstandme?"

LOL!

yep, have that happened to me. I have came up with different sarcastic remarks to get back at them. One of them actually dumbed down the English and talked to me in short phrases like "YOUUUUU DEEEEEEEAAAAAATTTHHH? UUUU HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPP? YOU UNNNNNDDDDDERRRRSTTTANNNDDD MEEEE?"

I just shook my head and spoke in rapid English "youhearing?youneedhelp?canuunderstandme?"

LOL!

Death? Not Deaf? That is hilarious. :rofl2:

kdl820.jpg

I've had people stick their face very, very close to mine and talk, I have to gently push people back from me so I can see them properly. Where do they get that idea that I can't see them unless they're really close?

In the hospital, I've been wheeled on a gurney while someone was talking to me upside-down. I wish hospitals would give training to staff about hearing-impaired people.

"In the hospital, I've been wheeled on a gurney while someone was talking to me upside-down. I wish hospitals would give training to staff about hearing-impaired people"...............HAHAHAHA! HILARIOUS!

I have had so many people ask me this "Are u death" so many times growing up. All I do is just roll my eyes. Arent they supposed to be hearing or what?

I have had so many people ask me this "Are u death" so many times growing up. All I do is just roll my eyes. Arent they supposed to be hearing or what?

yeah, we have our excuse for not saying words properly, what's their excuse? :giggle:

And there are "those" who always give you a "slap on the back"....lots of head nods....shaking their heads up and down....and not saying a word....just letting you know that they know you're deaf.......

And some doctors/dentists....who wear masks and talk from behind it!....WTF!

And when someone says something, and you don't catch all of it, and ask them to repeat it.....(just the part you don't understand).....they keep on repeating the whole sentence over and over!!!...

And those who have been drinking or they are drunk, get into ur face and try to tell you something....their breath! Gawd!....

And those who make "wild signs" when they talk, and believe you know what they're saying

If they ask me this, I'd respond back, "yes, I'm death, and good news, your time is up because you're too stupid to be alive."

You know, every single one of you complain about hearies and the way they communicate with you and none of you can come up with a solution for it or to help them. :thumbd: You expect them to help you, why not put the shoe on the other foot and help them instead of acting like a bunch of clods?? :thumb:

You know what I do? :idea: I NEVER say: "HUH?" "WHAT?" "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" "CAN YOU REPEAT THAT?" :nono:

All those are dead giveaways that you're deaf. Try amusing them. :P Do you know what I do? :idea: All I say is: "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" Or, I'll say, "I'm sorry, run that past me again?" I NEVER (everyone, repeat after me!!) NEVER SAY I CAN'T HEAR YOU. NEVER SAY SPEAK UP, I'M DEAF. :nono:

Sheesh!! :roll: How many of you have graduated from high school and some of you have college degrees and you can't get the upper hand instead of insulting hearing people? Holy cow, grow up! :roll:

Granted, the F-M area isn't all that great for the deaf and hoh, but I can manage and hold my own, no thanks to the "deaf" community here. :thumbd:

My comments may get me banned, but at this point and seeing and hearing the whining of enough deaf and hoh people to last me a lifetime, I think something needs to be said to all of you. Seriously, put yourselves in their shoes and instead of acting like jerks: Help them out! This is the reason I'm graduating with a degree in Communication Studies. The deaf need to start waking up and stop crying and start communicating effectively and play the hearies game.

You know, every single one of you complain about hearies and the way they communicate with you and none of you can come up with a solution for it or to help them. :thumbd: You expect them to help you, why not put the shoe on the other foot and help them instead of acting like a bunch of clods?? :thumb:

You know what I do? :idea: I NEVER say: "HUH?" "WHAT?" "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" "CAN YOU REPEAT THAT?" :nono:

All those are dead giveaways that you're deaf. Try amusing them. :P Do you know what I do? :idea: All I say is: "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" Or, I'll say, "I'm sorry, run that past me again?" I NEVER (everyone, repeat after me!!) NEVER SAY I CAN'T HEAR YOU. NEVER SAY SPEAK UP, I'M DEAF. :nono:

Sheesh!! :roll: How many of you have graduated from high school and some of you have college degrees and you can't get the upper hand instead of insulting hearing people? Holy cow, grow up! :roll:

Granted, the F-M area isn't all that great for the deaf and hoh, but I can manage and hold my own, no thanks to the "deaf" community here. :thumbd:

Well, my hearing aids are a dead give away to my deafness and there is no way I am returning to the days when I used to hide them out of shame. I tell them that Iam deaf and about 90% of the time it is all good.

Some of us are poking fun of the situation. I, for sure, am not taking it seriously. I know I will encounter ignorant hearing people and weird situations where they treat me like an idiot but I dont take it personally anymore like before.

I will never ever hide my deafness again.

U can do whatever u want but I am gonna do whatever I feel most comfortable with.

I'm not advocating hiding the deafness, shel. You know me better than that. We need to be as sly as foxes and harmless as doves if we think we can do this. We don't hide anything, by no means! We still are deaf, but we don't bring attention to it. That is the difference and we don't bring it into the conversation.

Well, I get sick and tired of hearies asking me dumb-ass questions like can you read? why do you talk like that? etc. :roll:

I'm not advocating hiding the deafness, shel. You know me better than that. We need to be as sly as foxes and harmless as doves if we think we can do this. We don't hide anything, by no means! We still are deaf, but we don't bring attention to it. That is the difference and we don't bring it into the conversation.

Usually 90% of the time, people know right away that I am deaf cuz of my hearing aids.

I am just more of a straight out blunt person so I tell people that I am deaf and need to read their lips so they can face me. If I dont, they will turn away while talking and that brings my understanding of what they are saying to near 0%. It goes against my personality to be sly especially when I am in a situation where I m put at a disadvantage.

I am a very sarcastic person so if I am in one of those moods and encounter a hearing person treating me like a two year old even after I was polite to him/her informing them what my needs are to keep communication easy, I will become a bitch and say sarcastic remarks. However, it is rare nowadays cuz I dont have the time nor the energy to do that.

Not everyone is the same..everyone has their own way of dealing with communication issues with hearing people.

It is rare to see encounters that everyone speaks of in this thread among with my deaf friends and hearing people. Most of the time, it is smooth with some misunderstandings here and there.

Back