What am I a two year old??

photogirl

Reaction score
So i had to go to get an MRI today to see if i have a cholesteatoma in my left ear. When i told the tech lady that i am HoH, she started to talk to me and treat me like i am a two year old from mars. she got like two inches from my face and was speaking sooooo slowly. she could see that i was looking at her lips and she just took that and ran with it. i know she was trying to be nice and "helpful" but wow, really? someone in the medical field? in 2009? i felt odd. anyone else had experiences with that? :roll:

Yes, that has happen to me a few times. The one thing I hate is " Can you read" ? I guess just because I can't hear I can't think either :roll:

Yes, that has happen to me a few times. The one thing I hate is " Can you read" ? I guess just because I can't hear I can't think either :roll:

:lol: I am still thinking about the woman who said to my husband, "Can she talk?"

And he wears hearing aids too!!

Maybe she heard him talk to someone else and I just didn't know it. :P

Weird things happen in the general public.

The technician at the MRI probably doesn't see many deaf people.

:lol: I am still thinking about the woman who said to my husband, "Can she talk?"

And he wears hearing aids too!!

Maybe she heard him talk to someone else and I just didn't know it. :P

Weird things happen in the general public.

The technician at the MRI probably doesn't see many deaf people.

Botti, I know what you mean, I been there :lol:

HEHE!...I think (?) I've seen it all (regarding hearies) communicating with me.... they either "hollar" in my ear...."mouthe" the words so big I can actually see their cavities/tonsils....yell loud enuf that my hairs blows from my face when they talk....look "dumb-founded", nervous, and mumble their words...."pull up their moustache" so I can see their lips....and the least but not last....write on a piece of paper: "Can you read"?

Well, it actually makes them look stupid and childish!..All I can say is: Try and have patience! Easier said than done, becuz I've blowed up many, many times!!! :D

HEHE!...I think (?) I've seen it all (regarding hearies) communicating with me.... they either "hollar" in my ear...."mouthe" the words so big I can actually see their cavities/tonsils....yell loud enuf that my hairs blows from my face when they talk....look "dumb-founded", nervous, and mumble their words...."pull up their moustache" so I can see their lips....and the least but not last....write on a piece of paper: "Can you read"?

Well, it actually makes them look stupid and childish!..All I can say is: Try and have patience! Easier said than done, becuz I've blowed up many, many times!!! :D

Write back, "no, I never learned how" and look sad. :P

really, bott? "can she talk?" wow. i know people are no trying to be like that, but wow.

really, bott? "can she talk?" wow. i know people are no trying to be like that, but wow.

My husband wanted to improve our ASL so we went to a class.

I was the only deaf person besides the teacher and my husband the only HOH.

It was another student who asked. It was definitely a weird experience.

And my family would testify I can certainly talk too much!!

:lol: Oh yeah it had happened to me before, I find it so hilarious! I would end up laughing when someone talks this way to me. "Doooooooooo... youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu wannnnnnnnnnnnnt sommmmmmmmmmmme... then I would respond "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!' and they looked at me like what the.... :lol:

And I also love it when some hearing people thinks shouting will make a deaf person hears better. I'm like, "eh no! matter of fact you're making me more deafer than I already am!" :lol: They would be like "Oh, I'm sorry". :lol:

I personally hate the "omgggggg you talk SOOOOO well!!!!!" and then this one lady who said that went into a long rant about how she thinks she is losing her hearing too and she was talking so much that i lost interest and just sat there..this was a person at the registars office at school....ALL i wanted was to switch a class time...and i had to get the whole gammit of what i didn't need to know about

I guess she has never worked with a deaf person before.

Some people who have never worked or communicated with a deaf person may have a misunderstanding of how they're supposed to ask.

I've had people ask me what country I was from and assumed English wasn't my first language because I had to ask them to repeat what they said. :roll:

Amen.

All the time, too. I had a fellow just today tell me I needed a tech to come to my house to fix my cable. He told me to turn cbl off and hit menu two times. Because it would not work he was sure that I didn't understand. Sigh. I lost my patience and told him that Deaf doesn't mean DUMB. He said -" Huh "!! All cause my sweet hubby "forgot" that I needed captions. grrr. Hahaha, we all have those "deaf moments", I guess.

I also now have folks ask where I am from. It's cause I speak sort of flat now. I don't always hear myself as well as I used to. My young terp friend had to insist to a store clerk that I was not foreign. geee. People!

Never had communication problems due to the fact I let them know of my preference of communication before hand. On rare occasions, I've had people do charades to get their point across! Talk about trying to keep a straight face! :rofl2: LOL

I don't think some hearing people gets it even when you tell them to speak slightly slow and to be clear when speaking, but instead they spoke sightly slower :shock:

:lol:

Yes, the OMG you talk so well gets tiring. So does the, well you should get a hearing aid. Or people just clam up and ignore ya, makes them wig out. People who then over-pronunciate making it impossible to read there lips. Mumblers should be tarred and feathered, haha, kidding. People with accents really mess with my mind, I have learned that If I can't seem to lip read then I ask the person if they have an accent...it usually leads to interesting conversation using writing, hand gestures and patience. I never hesitate to turn a man's face gently towards mine, being a bit of a flirt, it works every time!

being new to this forum, it's so good to hear from others that understand! moon-child, i like your style!!!

:lol: Oh yeah it had happened to me before, I find it so hilarious! I would end up laughing when someone talks this way to me. "Doooooooooo... youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu wannnnnnnnnnnnnt sommmmmmmmmmmme... then I would respond "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!' and they looked at me like what the.... :lol:

And I also love it when some hearing people thinks shouting will make a deaf person hears better. I'm like, "eh no! matter of fact you're making me more deafer than I already am!" :lol: They would be like "Oh, I'm sorry". :lol:

I had people doing that to me too all the time. I flat out and tell them that they are making it worst for me to understand them. Seriously, it is very hard for me when someone shout or speak slowly. I can only understand them when they look at me and don't mumble. There are times I need them to speak up because I depend on sounds to make out the words but that's because they mumble in the begin with. My young (and cute) dentist mumbles... I tell him to quit mumbling all the time LOL

Yes, the OMG you talk so well gets tiring. So does the, well you should get a hearing aid. Or people just clam up and ignore ya, makes them wig out. People who then over-pronunciate making it impossible to read there lips. Mumblers should be tarred and feathered, haha, kidding. People with accents really mess with my mind, I have learned that If I can't seem to lip read then I ask the person if they have an accent...it usually leads to interesting conversation using writing, hand gestures and patience. I never hesitate to turn a man's face gently towards mine, being a bit of a flirt, it works every time!

It takes me awhile to get used to someone accents.. some people get offended by it after seeing i could understand my husband , family, coworkers but I can not understand them.

Back