What am I a two year old??

Well, I get sick and tired of hearies asking me dumb-ass questions like can you read? why do you talk like that? etc. :roll:

At the same time, Pepsi, you need to humor them. Ask them why they want to know. Ask them if they talk to other people like that. Ask them if they'd like it if you asked them a personal question such as they're asking. And do it with a straight face.

"In the hospital, I've been wheeled on a gurney while someone was talking to me upside-down. I wish hospitals would give training to staff about hearing-impaired people"...............HAHAHAHA! HILARIOUS!

My son had a nurse put on her mask, and then talk to him.:roll:

You know, every single one of you complain about hearies and the way they communicate with you and none of you can come up with a solution for it or to help them. :thumbd: You expect them to help you, why not put the shoe on the other foot and help them instead of acting like a bunch of clods?? :thumb:

You know what I do? :idea: I NEVER say: "HUH?" "WHAT?" "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" "CAN YOU REPEAT THAT?" :nono:

All those are dead giveaways that you're deaf. Try amusing them. :P Do you know what I do? :idea: All I say is: "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" Or, I'll say, "I'm sorry, run that past me again?" I NEVER (everyone, repeat after me!!) NEVER SAY I CAN'T HEAR YOU. NEVER SAY SPEAK UP, I'M DEAF. :nono:

Sheesh!! :roll: How many of you have graduated from high school and some of you have college degrees and you can't get the upper hand instead of insulting hearing people? Holy cow, grow up! :roll:

Granted, the F-M area isn't all that great for the deaf and hoh, but I can manage and hold my own, no thanks to the "deaf" community here. :thumbd:

Sounds to me like you are embarrassed by your deafness.

My son had a nurse put on her mask, and then talk to him.:roll:

Fortunately - my dentist has a transparent mask. He knew that I need to lip-read him. Kudos to him for being a deaf-friendly dentist!

My comments may get me banned, but at this point and seeing and hearing the whining of enough deaf and hoh people to last me a lifetime, I think something needs to be said to all of you. Seriously, put yourselves in their shoes and instead of acting like jerks: Help them out! This is the reason I'm graduating with a degree in Communication Studies. The deaf need to start waking up and stop crying and start communicating effectively and play the hearies game.

That is the most audist comment I have seen for awhile. Looks like you have quite a bit left to learn about communication.:shock:

Fortunately - my dentist has a transparent mask. He knew that I need to lip-read him. Kudos to him for being a deaf-friendly dentist!

Yep, good for your dentist. This was a surgical nurse at a hospital, but they should have had the clear masks available, too, and it was written right on the front of his chart that he was deaf, and there was a sign on the door of his room.

Seems to me like he's a little hard of hearing and not deaf. What he says isn't going to work for me.

Chase is gone, and I believe he had a handle on that type of behavior and had gotten it stopped for a while. Miss him.

I'm not advocating hiding the deafness, shel. You know me better than that. We need to be as sly as foxes and harmless as doves if we think we can do this. We don't hide anything, by no means! We still are deaf, but we don't bring attention to it. That is the difference and we don't bring it into the conversation.

Dishonesty by ommission. Still hiding something.

Seems to me like he's a little hard of hearing and not deaf. What he says isn't going to work for me.

Chase is gone, and I believe he had a handle on that type of behavior and had gotten it stopped for a while. Miss him.

Yeah, I miss Chase, too. We could use his wit and wisdom right about now.:giggle:

Yep, good for your dentist. This was a surgical nurse at a hospital, but they should have had the clear masks available, too, and it was written right on the front of his chart that he was deaf, and there was a sign on the door of his room.

the thought of having a simple miscommunication especially about surgical procedure which can result in disastrous result sends a chill thru my spine.... :cold:

I was told by a friend of mine who is responsible for screening terps in order to qualify them as medical terps for patients. Here's a horrifying story - she failed him/her for misinterpreting the patient's intention. Why? because the doctor gave deaf patient 3 choices for cancer - chemo or surgery or radiation. The patient said "no surgery" but the terp said "patient wants chemo."

:cold:

the thought of having a simple miscommunication especially about surgical procedure which can result in disastrous result sends a chill thru my spine.... :cold:

I was told by a friend of mine who is responsible for screening terps in order to qualify them as medical terps for patients. Here's a horrifying story - she failed him/her for misinterpreting the patient's intention. Why? because the doctor gave deaf patient 3 choices for cancer - chemo or surgery or radiation. The patient said "no surgery" but the terp said "patient wants chemo."

:cold:

Not good. This was when he was in the pre-op area and they would not let a terp come back there with him.

where's that ratty old fart bastard!?!? I surely miss his witty posts

Not a bit, jillio. I don't and won't say, "Um, excuse me, but I'm deaf, will you please speak up?" The only time I would actually say that is if someone repeatedly is not talking loud enough for me to hear with my hearing aids turned on full blast. Some people whisper when they talk and think they're speaking loud. Some deaf people don't talk loud, but I do. I speak as loud as I do because I don't want to not be heard, I don't want to be misunderstood and I don't want to be misquoted.

That is the most audist comment I have seen for awhile. Looks like you have quite a bit left to learn about communication.:shock:

It's my job to communicate, as at the end of the week, I'll have my degree in Communication Studies. I'd better be able to communicate and, based on my grades, it looks like it!

jillio, you don't have to argue with me to make a point. I know you're an educated female and don't want to back down to any guys telling you anything different. I'm an educated guy and do know what I'm doing.

Dishonesty by ommission. Still hiding something.

jillio,

You're a woman, right? Do you hide that? Of course not. I'm a guy. I don't hide that. I also wear my hair short. Did you see the link to my video? You'd see my hearing aids. If I'm hiding something, then you are, too. As a woman, you shouldn't hide what makes you one. :D

It's my job to communicate, as at the end of the week, I'll have my degree in Communication Studies. I'd better be able to communicate and, based on my grades, it looks like it!

jillio, you don't have to argue with me to make a point. I know you're an educated female and don't want to back down to any guys telling you anything different. I'm an educated guy and do know what I'm doing.

No one said you weren't educated. I was simply suggesting that your communication studies failed you tonight...unless it was your intent to be offensive. :shrug:

Rudeness is not communication, jillio. You know that. tsk. tsk.

What is rude about my missing Chase, and wishing for his wit and wisdom? And rudeness is communication, although it was not a part of my post in anyway. Communication is relaying a message to another. Rudeness does that quite effectively.

No one said you weren't educated. I was simply suggesting that your communication studies failed you tonight...unless it was your intent to be offensive. :shrug:

Not a bit, jillio. But, when talking with people, I don't start the conversation by saying, "excuse me, I'm deaf, can you speak up, please?"

I also don't start cussing a blue streak at someone because they talked with an obstruction. I'm very polite. When I started going to plasma, they were told about my hearing aids and they put it on my chart and to speak directly to and at me. It's highlighted at the top of it. I'm also very visual so I tend to pay attention more than others probably do.

Back