Wha? Deaf Gene Pool?

Vance

Reaction score
Some of you people may already know that I went to NYC for NYE and other things. Several weird things happen but I will cover some of these in other time...

Nas (hearing gal that I date) and I went to some kind of club to see some buddies, dancing and have some drinks too. I have to explain a bit about Nas so you can get the clear picture about her. Nas herself decided to not talk during sign language but use only sign language to communicate with deafies & hearies. Nas usually do that to develop more ASL & 'ASL-reading' skill and she often wish that she is a deafie instead of hearie. Her ASL skill is pretty good... it is nearly impossible to tell if she is deafie or hearie.

Anyway, she and I chatted with buddies for approx two hours until some waitress spoke to some of us about menu. Out of habit, Nas started to interpret for me and other people. Whenever we are done with our dessert orders, three deafies suddenly changed their attitude and was rude to Nas. I found it puzzled why they did that (also it got me angry as well) so I asked. They were saying that deafies shouldn't date or marry hearie people because they feel that hearies are trying to reduce the 'deaf gene pool' and destroying deaf culture. I am like... erm okay. I don't know what kind of drugs they are on but other deafies joined my side and argued with them for certain time. It was bizarre moment for both of us. I mean... have you ever hear anything like that?

Well, what do you think of that?

Magatsu said:
Some of you people may already know that I went to NYC for NYE and other things. Several weird things happen but I will cover some of these in other time...

Nas (hearing gal that I date) and I went to some kind of club to see some buddies, dancing and have some drinks too. I have to explain a bit about Nas so you can get the clear picture about her. Nas herself decided to not talk during sign language but use only sign language to communicate with deafies & hearies. Nas usually do that to develop more ASL & 'ASL-reading' skill and she often wish that she is a deafie instead of hearie. Her ASL skill is pretty good... it is nearly impossible to tell if she is deafie or hearie.

Anyway, she and I chatted with buddies for approx two hours until some waitress spoke to some of us about menu. Out of habit, Nas started to interpret for me and other people. Whenever we are done with our dessert orders, three deafies suddenly changed their attitude and was rude to Nas. I found it puzzled why they did that (also it got me angry as well) so I asked. They were saying that deafies shouldn't date or marry hearie people because they feel that hearies are trying to reduce the 'deaf gene pool' and destroying deaf culture. I am like... erm okay. I don't know what kind of drugs they are on but other deafies joined my side and argued with them for certain time. It was bizarre moment for both of us. I mean... have you ever hear anything like that?

Yes I have heard that too often. I was told that a lot while married to a hearing man. They were very rude to him and told me that I was diluting deaf genes. My other hearing dates experienced that too and felt hosility from deaf people, ESPECIALLY deaf men.

It is just like a black man dating a white woman and getting same treatment.

Magatsu said:

Nothing is changed. I have been thru this when I was dating my hearing husband around the time u were born. They were so mean to him and it was awful. Deaf gene pool? I do not carry this gene except for my husband's colorblind which would have pass to girl if we have a girl. They are nuts if I produce deaf children, it won't happen with me. True, I left deaf culture long time ago cuz I do not need their harrassment.. But I am slowly coming back thinking things are getting better today than it was 25 years ago. I guess I was wrong.

I know that there are militant Deaf people in the world who hold bigoted views towards hearing people. I’ve never met one, but I do know that they exist. While I can understand their way of thinking, their position is tenuous at best. The genome for deafness is widespread throughout the human population—1 out of every 35 people is a recessive carrier. Deaf people are in absolutely no danger of becoming extinct anytime in the near future.

Last edited:
They were saying that deafies shouldn't date or marry hearie people because they feel that hearies are trying to reduce the 'deaf gene pool' and destroying deaf culture. I am like... erm okay. I don't know what kind of drugs they are on but other deafies joined my side and argued with them for certain time. It was bizarre moment for both of us. I mean... have you ever hear anything like that?

To be honest with you, I don't see that very much around here. We are quite appreciative of hearing people who want to learn sign language in order to communicate with the Deaf population. This way, the hearing people gain comprehension of the Deaf culture and we get respect from them. I don't think there's anything wrong with a Deaf/Hearing couple. There are several where I live, and I think it's great if that couple gets along just fine.

I'm going to add a bit of information here, and I'm sure all of you are aware of this: 90% of deaf children come from hearing parents. Only approximately 9% have deaf parents. I am deaf and my husband is hoh; I am a second generation deaf person, and we would love to have deaf children. I only hope my genes carry the trait. :deaf:

That's what happen I was dating a hearing guy back in 1980's he was sweet and wonderful.. (he still is) he was happy and learned sign languages, he was training for becoming Fire fighter that time.. some how some of his (hearing friends) said something about shouldnt marry deaf or something like that.. so he dumped me..

Its really .. uh.. stupid.. but oh well, now i am happy with my life and hes deaf.. eh

jazzy said:
Nothing is changed. I have been thru this when I was dating my hearing husband around the time u were born. They were so mean to him and it was awful. Deaf gene pool? I do not carry this gene except for my husband's colorblind which would have pass to girl if we have a girl. They are nuts if I produce deaf children, it won't happen with me. True, I left deaf culture long time ago cuz I do not need their harrassment.. But I am slowly coming back thinking things are getting better today than it was 25 years ago. I guess I was wrong.

yes.. VERY WRONG, DEAR!!

I can relate to that several years ago while I was involved in a Deaf Club, after the initial meeting, groups of deafies gathered about chatting away when I noticed a hearing man (a spouse of a deaf wife) sitting all by himself with no one giving him any attention and so I went up to him to make him feel comfortable by starting a conversation with him...within a few minutes later, I was tapped on the shoulder from behind, a couple of deafies were standing next to me and sternly mentioned to me, 'no voice is allowed', 'but to use sign-language only'. I could see the look of saddness upon the man's face and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing taking place....There shouldn't be any boundaries in place when it comes to communicating with others...however we're able to communicate and feel comfortable with, then there shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. Whether or not they had any grudges against this hearing husband, it was quite rude of how they thought we should be carrying on with our conversation. Also, (sorry if this is a bit off the topic) I have found that certain deafies abhor the thought of allowing me to graciously interpret for them when taking orders when I'm only trying to be considerate and thoughtful by giving them a helping hand....

I'm sorry that you had to deal with this sort of situation when your date was being kind and considerate as well as being thoughtful too....Don't mind these types...they're NOT wearing your shoes and walking the distance...!

These deafies need a good slap in their faces for displaying such behaviour.

However, it is my belief that it is wrong to deliberately breed deaf children as just it is to breed physically challenged people (wheelchairs, clutches, walkers, etc).

As long a deaf person loves another deaf person, and get married, have children. It's perfectly fine. If a deaf person love a hearing person and want to get married, that's fine with me. It doesn't matter what race, disabilities, etc they have. But if you have the "intentions" of breeding deaf children.

Many of you would object to people deliberately breeding blind children and you know it.

Then... that is wrong. Let the nature take its course. Hearing or deaf, they are still be be embraced. Period.

I don't care too much for the concept of designer babies. Screw the concept of the deaf gene pool, focus on your life and your loved ones.

Banjo said:

However, it is my belief that it is wrong to deliberately breed deaf children as just it is to breed physically challenged people (wheelchairs, clutches, walkers, etc).

As long a deaf person loves another deaf person, and get married, have children. It's perfectly fine. If a deaf person love a hearing person and want to get married, that's fine with me. It doesn't matter what race, disabilities, etc they have. But if you have the "intentions" of breeding deaf children.

Many of you would object to people deliberately breeding blind children and you know it.

Then... that is wrong. Let the nature take its course. Hearing or deaf, they are still be be embraced. Period.

I don't care too much for the concept of designer babies. Screw the concept of the deaf gene pool, focus on your life and your loved ones.

I did not want a little girl to carry colorblind gene so I am glad I bore two healthy sons and it ended right there.

Roadrunner said:
I can relate to that several years ago while I was involved in a Deaf Club, after the initial meeting, groups of deafies gathered about chatting away when I noticed a hearing man (a spouse of a deaf wife) sitting all by himself with no one giving him any attention and so I went up to him to make him feel comfortable by starting a conversation with him...within a few minutes later, I was tapped on the shoulder from behind, a couple of deafies were standing next to me and sternly mentioned to me, 'no voice is allowed', 'but to use sign-language only'. I could see the look of saddness upon the man's face and I just couldn't believe what I was seeing taking place....There shouldn't be any boundaries in place when it comes to communicating with others...however we're able to communicate and feel comfortable with, then there shouldn't be a problem whatsoever. Whether or not they had any grudges against this hearing husband, it was quite rude of how they thought we should be carrying on with our conversation. Also, (sorry if this is a bit off the topic) I have found that certain deafies abhor the thought of allowing me to graciously interpret for them when taking orders when I'm only trying to be considerate and thoughtful by giving them a helping hand....

I'm sorry that you had to deal with this sort of situation when your date was being kind and considerate as well as being thoughtful too....Don't mind these types...they're NOT wearing your shoes and walking the distance...!

well said rr! :thumb:

I wouldn't know because I don't hang out with deaf people much in my community, I hang out with more hearing people. It just because I haven't been to a deaf club in a long time and my deaf friends moved far away also.

Both of my sisters married hearing guys and never judged them or left them out on conversations. I wouldn't care if my deaf friends date hearing people, because I do too. :)

it happened to my sister, her former co-worker whos deaf and came from deaf family. he started acting strange towards her after she married her hearing husband, he tried to tell her that he had strange dreams and vibe that her husband was up to no good for her because he was hearing. he made things up like he had a dream that her husband cheated on her and seeing other hearing women. it was totally odd of him, he has absolutely nothing to have interest in her.
its pretty rude to have people interfere with someone else's relationship. tell them to respect you and her, accept the fact you two love each other. this isnt all about arrange marriage.

This is very well known as... DEAF PRIDE. It's one thing that pisses me off from time to time. They are known to follow a few things:
  • Must have deaf parents
  • Must not have cochlear implants
  • Never date hearing people
  • Only use ASL
  • Have a right to be very blunt
  • Can be the center of attention at any time
I think these rules are bullshit.

There was one guy here who was a strong follower of "Deaf Pride". He would approach people and be very blunt with his comments. If he asked a question and someone replied with something that he didn't agree with, he would quickly reply loudly and try to change that person's mind. He bluntly told one cute gal, "Sorry, I can't date you because you have hearing parents. *turning his head away*" He's one of the most annoying student around here on campus. Sadly, it took him almost 8 years to get a 2-year degree. :roll:

VamPyroX said:
This is very well known as... DEAF PRIDE. It's one thing that pisses me off from time to time. They are known to follow a few things:
  • Must have deaf parents
  • Must not have cochlear implants
  • Never date hearing people
  • Only use ASL
  • Have a right to be very blunt
  • Can be the center of attention at any time
I think these rules are bullshit.

There was one guy here who was a strong follower of "Deaf Pride". He would approach people and be very blunt with his comments. If he asked a question and someone replied with something that he didn't agree with, he would quickly reply loudly and try to change that person's mind. He bluntly told one cute gal, "Sorry, I can't date you because you have hearing parents. *turning his head away*" He's one of the most annoying student around here on campus. Sadly, it took him almost 8 years to get a 2-year degree. :roll:

you forgot to add two more things.. THEY MUST COME FROM DEAF SCHOOLS AND GALLY!! SHEESH!!

well it is not surprising that it took him 8 yrs to get a measly aas degree.. with that arrogant attitude of his and him being closed mind as well!

sorry to go off the point here.. but i wanted to add that i have some friends that have deaf kids from long island and other places who moved to maryland cuz they thought they had better education system for their kids... so when the kids went to msd (maryland school for the deaf).. they felt so left out and were rejected because they were told that their parents didnt go to gallaudet!?!? or that their kids went to partially mainstreamed schools with deaf programs, etc.. there were a lot of favoritism at msd as well .. and my friends kids were treated like shit.. sheesh!! i was like.. what a wacked up theory that is!! so they took the kids out of the school and moved back to where they came from.. and the kids are a lot happier now.. sad! isnt it?? ---> about how msd ppl treat others like that?? sheesh!

Last edited:
zesty said:
you forgot to add two more things.. THEY MUST COME FROM DEAF SCHOOLS AND GALLY!! SHEESH!!

Heh! After exchanging names the next question asked is, "What Deaf School did you go to?" After I tell them I went to public schools, they reply, "Oh" and walk off in search of a "true" Deaf person. :roll:

And yes, I do understand why it's important to some Deaf folks, so I try to find something else in common to continue the conversation.

I've never really met anyone who went to Gally.

Steve

Steve said:
Heh! After exchanging names the next question asked is, "What Deaf School did you go to?" After I tell them I went to public schools, they reply, "Oh" and walk off in search of a "true" Deaf person. :roll:

And yes, I do understand why it's important to some Deaf folks, so I try to find something else in common to continue the conversation.

I've never really met anyone who went to Gally.

Steve

yep... thats THEIR MOST TYPICAL/COMMON QUESTION! :eek: other than asking if i am deaf or hearing too!? just because i can speak.. it doesnt mean i am hoh? why cant they accept it if i say i am PROFOUND DEAF.. which is what i really am instead of being critical?? gosh!!

it sounds like you come from a mainstreamed/hearing (school) environment.. you wont feel like you belong there (blended with the gally people).. i have tried to befriend ppl from gally.. but they are kinda snobs and ignorant/close minded.. (no offense here) so i dont bother with them.. they know where i am.. i felt more blended (fit in) in at rit than i did at gally/mssd..

SassyOne said:
Yes I have heard that too often. I was told that a lot while married to a hearing man. They were very rude to him and told me that I was diluting deaf genes. My other hearing dates experienced that too and felt hosility from deaf people, ESPECIALLY deaf men.

It is just like a black man dating a white woman and getting same treatment.
Yeah. Same difference.

jazzy said:
Wow. Yeah, these kind of things has never changed...

Levonian said:
The genome for deafness is widespread throughout the human population—1 out of every 35 people is a recessive carrier. Deaf people are absolutely no danger of becoming extinct anytime in the near future.
That's exactly what one of my buddies told one of these three deafies.

JessHercules said:
To be honest with you, I don't see that very much around here. We are quite appreciative of hearing people who want to learn sign language in order to communicate with the Deaf population. This way, the hearing people gain comprehension of the Deaf culture and we get respect from them. I don't think there's anything wrong with a Deaf/Hearing couple. There are several where I live, and I think it's great if that couple gets along just fine.

I'm going to add a bit of information here, and I'm sure all of you are aware of this: 90% of deaf children come from hearing parents. Only approximately 9% have deaf parents. I am deaf and my husband is hoh; I am a second generation deaf person, and we would love to have deaf children. I only hope my genes carry the trait. :deaf:
It was my first time to meet that kind of people... That's why I was stunned by their stupidities. I was expecting that deafies would grow up out of that part by now but apparently not.

Roadrunner said:
That's inconsiderate of them...

Roadrunner said:
Yep! Nas actually scoffed at these deafies but still, it was wrong of them to do that to her. Nas loves deaf culture more than anything else.

Banjo said:

I completely agree with you.

More replies in next post.

That, plus the Deaf gene pool is limited. I remember my ASL/Deaf studies professor saying that genetic causes of deafness are really rare.
Some of the extremists are idoits.....but the deaf world is far from alone in having extremists like those. There are black people who say of some of my friends that they aren't really black b/c they act so white.

Back