Web Programs

true programmers use emacs and vi. emacs for me all the way

i have used both dreamweaver mx and notepad. in overall i choose dreamweaver over raw html because it saves my times to process.

macromedia dreamweaver rocks... no question.

I received an e-mail from a computer dealer a few months ago. I did not want go into the details. He said that I could create a website using GoLive or Dreamweaver, but he said that the GoLive will only do static pages. Dynamic pages require recompiling the code for apache and adding the functionality you want. He recommended me to start off small and add functionality as you grow your business.

Now, I need to understand what is the different between static page and dynamic pages. Can you give me some example or explanation?

I was told that the static page will not work if you create an expansion database (i.e. SQL source). Is this correct? If not correct, any idea if you know what the dealer was talking about.

What is a Cold Fusion (Dreamweaver), and what is this purpose?

(Off subject: I read a forum from other website about GoLive’s drawback. It stated that it will write over the backup html file, and we need to make a copy of the html file manually.)

I am considering to purchase a Mac Dreamweaver because I notice most of you like the Dreamweaver. Now, everybody are talking about a new version MX. I’m lost now.

Actually to clear it up...almost any WYSIWYG programs can create a dymatic website.

The only thing that wouldn't usually work is the preview feature. Remember what static is...it is a set of files that does not hold variables or perform any server side scripting to display content. Files ending with .html is one of those static web pages.

Dynamic pages are usually ending with .php (a popular on linux/unix system) or .asp (popular on windows IIS web servers).

For example, if you created a .php script on the front page which would display your ip. That is a variable maniplation which would be retrieved from the web server's variables list which is used to retrieve from all the visitors to be stored into the web server's logging systems.

There's several server side scriptings that can be so powerful and saves you the time instead of editing the static pages one at a time keeping the entire website updated.

Try this http://www.hotscripts.com for ideas of what scriptings do. There are many caterogries of what you could work on. :D

Originally posted by knoble
Way back ago I did thought of what you've just said! although all my colleagues suggested me to try it out and learn! so I did and learned from the websites.

Now I thought it is extremely useful! ... so useful for what? well there's many things you can do, like guestbook, messageboard, thumbnail images, questionnaires, portifolios, online comments and many more ...

I'm telling ya it is worth to learn!

ciao

Ok, what kind of database do you use on dreamweaver and does it need a server-side databases like MySQL etc?

Just Curious ;)

Thanks

I know that I am kinda new here at AD and just join as member of this fourm. Anyway, I use Macromedia Studio MX for OSX platform. Macromedia Studio MX comes with few great apps such as Dreamweaver MX, Fireworks MX, Flash MX, FreeHand MX and Cold Fusion MX. Before I made a major investment into Macromedia Studio MX last year, I used to use Adobe GoLive 5.

Next to Adobe GoLive and Macromedia Studio MX, I also use BBEdit as well. I used to have Adobe PageMill and Adobe SiteMill. At that time, a couple years ago, Adobe Systems acquired this German-based software company called CyperStudio. Few months later after Adobe acquired that company, Adobe introduced Adobe GoLive known as GoLive 4.

About the same time as Adobe System introduced GoLive 4, Macromedia recognized that there is a need for a better web authoring app. Macromedia developed Dreamweaver from ground up. GoLive was once popular and had large marketshare. However, Macromedia Dreamweaver eventually gained large marketshare and became very popular web authoring app among web designers and developers these days.

I can't remember the article or the source of most recent information about MM Dreamweaver and Adobe GoLive 6's current marketshare. To my shockingly surprise, DWMX's marketshare is pretty big vs Adobe GoLive by ... like around 90 percent for DWMX and about 10 percent for GoLive 6.

I have seen some discussion going on here about which one is better: Dreamweaver or GoLive or Notepad. In my humble opinion, it is very fair for me to say that it is everyone's perference and to their comfortable. I happen to like DWMX and GoLive. However, I use DWMX on a daily basis for obvious reason. I also use BBEdit often as well.

I often used notepad for Windows and vi for Linux when I build my web design. As far as "built in utility" with css, Java and all that features built in, most programs still have their limitations. World Wide Web is at large, resourceful and beyond imaginative where you can gather ideas to build your own design. When I used Dreamweaver, I ran out of ideas rather quickly and often found myself limited within the capability of the program. My mind psychologically was set to what Dreamweaver could do when I tried to gather ideas from the Web along with that program. When I left Dreamweaver for notepad and vi, I have exceeded beyond the boundaries set by WYSIWYG programs. I learned to leave my mother (Dreamweaver) to live on my own in the real world (notepad or vi.)

Same applies to my departure from Windows to Linux world, I've learned more about the functionality of Operating System and became more independent from "User's Friendliness" of GUI based interface and optimized the most of what Operating System was supposed to do.

Need a book(s) for Studio MX

I would like you to suggest me what book(s) should I buy? I purchased a Macromedia Studio MX promotion and a new Apple G5. With the MX promotion, it does not come with a guide or manual book. I did not want to print hundred of pages from a CD. This is my first time to learn about the software.

webexplorer said:
I would like you to suggest me what book(s) should I buy? I purchased a Macromedia Studio MX promotion and a new Apple G5. With the MX promotion, it does not come with a guide or manual book. I did not want to print hundred of pages from a CD. This is my first time to learn about the software.

Congrads on your sound, solid investment with Apple Computer Power Mac G5 and MM Studio MX. Your decision is a wise move! :)

As for book for MM Studio MX, I am not sure if there is any retail Barnes & Noble Bookseller or Border stores avaliable in your city. There are lot of good books available for that matter.

If you have problem or not sure which publisher or author you want to purchase, let myself or someoe else know, from this forum, might help you as well. Cheers, ventiCM :)

the MX books

ventiCM said:
Congrads on your sound, solid investment with Apple Computer Power Mac G5 and MM Studio MX. Your decision is a wise move! :)

As for book for MM Studio MX, I am not sure if there is any retail Barnes & Noble Bookseller or Border stores avaliable in your city. There are lot of good books available for that matter.

If you have problem or not sure which publisher or author you want to purchase, let myself or someoe else know, from this forum, might help you as well. Cheers, ventiCM :)

My new G5 computer has not arrived yet so I'm pretty glad that I got the Studio MX.

I went to Barnes & Noble and found some books. I didn't buy the books yet. In the past, I bought the wrong books (computer programming) because the authors did not give some specific details such as step by step. They were in hurry and sold them in the market without proof-reading because they just do not know how to correct it.

What do you think of these books? If not too good, then what would you suggest?

(1) "Dreamweaver Magic" (ISBN: 0-7357-1179-8)
(2) "Macromedia dreamer MX" (0-201-79927-4)
(3) "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX - Hands-on-Training (0-321-11271-7)

For PHP:

(1) "PHP fast&easy web development 2nd edition (1-931841-87-x)
(2) "Visual QuickPro Guide - "PHP Advanced for the World Wide Web" (0-201-77597-2) (The store does not have Visual QuickPro Guide - PHP - for beginners.)
(3) Visual Read Less, Learn More PHP (0-7645-3561-7)

webexplorer said:
My new G5 computer has not arrived yet so I'm pretty glad that I got the Studio MX.

I went to Barnes & Noble and found some books. I didn't buy the books yet. In the past, I bought the wrong books (computer programming) because the authors did not give some specific details such as step by step. They were in hurry and sold them in the market without proof-reading because they just do not know how to correct it.

What do you think of these books? If not too good, then what would you suggest?

(1) "Dreamweaver Magic" (ISBN: 0-7357-1179-8)
(2) "Macromedia dreamer MX" (0-201-79927-4)
(3) "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX - Hands-on-Training (0-321-11271-7)

For PHP:

(1) "PHP fast&easy web development 2nd edition (1-931841-87-x)
(2) "Visual QuickPro Guide - "PHP Advanced for the World Wide Web" (0-201-77597-2) (The store does not have Visual QuickPro Guide - PHP - for beginners.)
(3) Visual Read Less, Learn More PHP (0-7645-3561-7)

I agree with you about looking at books at some bookstores before you make a purchase.

As far as books are concerned, as you might realize, first three on top of your list related to Dreamweaver MX, all titles seem to be similiar to each other. I usually jot down all information relating to book purchase, I usually jot down title, author and publisher (and what year the publishing company last published and what edition - latest, most recent ed. the better.)

As for PHP programming and development, I know it is very broad topic for that matter. I haven't really get my "hands dirty" under the hood of PHP programming as yet, but I do know that I will be doing this soon anyway. There is a really good PHP tools and resource online. A good place to start with, I am not sure which one is correct ( dot com or dot net) php.com (or php.net). I haven't visit PHP website for a while. There is lot of good links through PHP website.

Also, you might also want to take a look at Macromedia User forums to get some help with PHP programming and development. In addition to Macromedia website, there is specific resource called "DevNet" designed for Developers. Under that particular page, it have 'rich' resource for all kind of tools and resource -- PHP, JSP, ASP, ASP.NET, even CFML (ColdFusion Marked Up Language) and many more. I also think about learning ColdFusion MX soon as well.

All in all, I hope the info helps you get started more effectively and productively. Let me or others know if you need further help or assistance. :) Cheers, ventiCM

Last edited:
i use PC most of the time...i once had a class where we have to use MACs and it wasnt that bad the graphics are way more in a better quality than the pcs gives. I either use UltraEdit or notepad to design webpages. I need to get my hands on the Mac to gain more talent as i am on the PC :squint:

Dw

I used Notepad or other kinds of editor to edit the html files and some CGI programmings in years ago. Now, I use DW (Dreamweaver) to build any html pages and PHP programming pretty easier than writing the hard code in the notepad.

Well, notepad will waste your time trying to find errors you overlooked. DW truly detects the error and helps you to find the error by finding the line in the code. It saves your time as everyone else said. In addition, it helps to build some complex codes you really want to develop.

It's understandable if you guys felt that you are one of the true web programmer or something, you write the hard code in the plain editor like notepad from scratch. However, I've been there and got tired of it.

DW is the true program for everyone to learn how to build the webpage. Novices would have their hard time to be familiar with this program, DW. It takes some time to learn how to use DW, after that it will be easier for you.

darktiger said:
I used Notepad or other kinds of editor to edit the html files and some CGI programmings in years ago. Now, I use DW (Dreamweaver) to build any html pages and PHP programming pretty easier than writing the hard code in the notepad.

Well, notepad will waste your time trying to find errors you overlooked. DW truly detects the error and helps you to find the error by finding the line in the code. It saves your time as everyone else said. In addition, it helps to build some complex codes you really want to develop.

It's understandable if you guys felt that you are one of the true web programmer or something, you write the hard code in the plain editor like notepad from scratch. However, I've been there and got tired of it.

DW is the true program for everyone to learn how to build the webpage. Novices would have their hard time to be familiar with this program, DW. It takes some time to learn how to use DW, after that it will be easier for you.
Dreamweaver is a good program... just don't depend too much on it. Sometimes, Dreamweaver puts in too much coding when I can do it with less coding. Also, a webpage can be designed very quickly but not 100% perfect. After saving it, you can edit the HTML by hand and fix up the little problems making the webpage look better.

darktiger said:

Me too ! I've been using notepad from the scratch
to develop web html pages... I believe that
everyone should learn how to make the cake
from the scratch first and then use others later.

Sometimes when I feel lazy, then I simply use
the HotDog sausage program... only because
it's simply available on our system here.
Even though I heard so much about the
DreamWeaver, etc..

But I must agree with hacker and kevbo that it's much cheaper
and save more $$ just to use the notepad.

True webmasters do not need these programs;
just a notepad would do the trick !

Good posts so far. As for me, I depend on NotePad when it comes to coding as I like to be in "control." Dreamweaver is utilized only when I'm feeling lazy, like Y said, or when I need rollover buttons. :mrgreen:

I use Dreamweaver as my primary editor. Today's Dreamweaver is NOT WYSIWYG editor as some of you described.. last posting was 2003 so I think DW has changed so much since then so I am sure Adobe pretty much abandoned the WYSIWYG approach since it acquired it. It has "Design" mode but I never use it.

Before Dreamweaver, I used HTMLPad and I still use it from time to time. It's pretty nifty.

Back