"We are just a bunch of atoms"

The teaching of 5th graders about atoms is over-their-head, as this needs to wait until high school. On the other hand, they can handle H-2-O (water) which is what the body is mainly made up of.

but society is changing so fast, we're competing with other countries for techonologu superiority , its no surprise that governments are hell bent to get the kids ascustomed to science early on...in same vein, teaching them 'teamwork' shit... for corporate cultures..

The teaching of 5th graders about atoms is over-their-head, as this needs to wait until high school. On the other hand, they can handle H-2-O (water) which is what the body is mainly made up of.
Over their heads??? I think you seriously underestimate the children. :roll:

but society is changing so fast, we're competing with other countries for techonologu superiority , its no surprise that governments are hell bent to get the kids ascustomed to science early on...in same vein, teaching them 'teamwork' shit... for corporate cultures..
I cringed at the bolded since it is so FALSE.

Seriously? I was studying them in 5th grade. I found the entire thing fascinating. If we can teach evolution, why not atoms?

Those occupational backgrounds aren't mutually exclusive. :) I know people who are preachers and medical doctors, engineers, science professors, computer programmers, and other professionals in various fields of the "hard" sciences.

I also know a guy that is a USDA Inspector AND a SBC preacher. Another guy I know is a Maintenance man at a chicken plant, a volunteer firefighter AND Methodist preacher.

I don't think preachers just preach, especially in small rural churches that just don't have a budget for a full-time minister. Some preachers work other jobs during the week to make ends meet, some work 2nd jobs because they want to be involved in the community, some preachers work two jobs because they have a genuine interest in both fields, hence the history professor at ATU that is also a minister at the biggest church in town.

you reckon?

i still doubt that im wrong

I think I misread your post. I thought you meant OUR government is hell-bent on having the kids get an early start in the sciences. I agree that we are almost dead last in world standings in education for our children.

Blah, the science education in the primary and secondary schools could be much better. Math and science in high school and middle school were too easy and I just breezed through them. There were nearly no chance for me to participate in Olympiads or math competitions within my area, but I ended up doing research at my local college and competed in the Science Olympiad at state level (but Sci Oly is kinda a joke. Math/Chemistry/Physics Olympiad are really legit).

It's going to be hard to bring most American kids up to the level of math and science education in the world, as this is the thing that is a joint effort between government, parents, children, and teachers. The culture and attitude towards the math and science must also be changed. Back in China years ago, the "most popular kid" in school is not the person who's the prettiest or anything shallow, but the kid who is the best at academics.

What's even crazier is that all atoms are vibrating as well. That means that everything vibrates and has a certain rhythm and frequency, including our own bodies.

Look up string theory and "Theory of Everything" and prepare to have your mind blown (or blow a fuse trying to understand it, like me! :))

It makes me cross eyed!

Perhaps it is way over your head at that age, but the average 5th grader is capable of understanding.

What's even crazier is that all atoms are vibrating as well. That means that everything vibrates and has a certain rhythm and frequency, including our own bodies.

Look up string theory and "Theory of Everything" and prepare to have your mind blown (or blow a fuse trying to understand it, like me! :))

And you say you suck at science? riiiighhtt :P :P

Seriously? I was studying them in 5th grade. I found the entire thing fascinating. If we can teach evolution, why not atoms?

Especially since the two are interconnected. Agreed. I learned it in the 5th grade as well, as did my son.

This reminds me of a graffiti I once saw which read E=mc squared: Energy, Light, Vibrations: you are there. Mind-boggling.

It's going to be hard to bring most American kids up to the level of math and science education in the world, as this is the thing that is a joint effort between government, parents, children, and teachers. The culture and attitude towards the math and science must also be changed.

yup its going to be tough, since America culture is a consumerist culture and in a way their American TV media having a program "Big Bang Theory" might be in part a movement to attempt to alter that view on science and mathematics by using the 'comedy' genre using 'dating situations' as conventions. hell this could be in the wrong 'thread' here.

Back in China years ago, the "most popular kid" in school is not the person who's the prettiest or anything shallow, but the kid who is the best at academics.

oh that explains why many ugly korean men in NZ having prettiest wives... I am not joking...its kind of sick...but now I can see 'why'...hmmm guess id never get to date an asian chick...

Perhaps it is way over your head at that age, but the average 5th grader is capable of understanding.

I think it's way over his head now, as are most concepts that involve logic and critical thinking...

This reminds me of a graffiti I once saw which read E=mc squared: Energy, Light, Vibrations: you are there. Mind-boggling.

"Energy, light, vibrations: you are there." Wow, amazing. I'm going to use this as a title for a short story. Do you mind?

I believe, as recorded in the book of Genesis, God spoke the universe into existence. The powerful voice of God would certainly be enough to start all those atoms vibrating into action!

not crazy at all, it makes total sense, if there no vibrations then there is no 'energy activity' which is exactly matters are made of, the solidification of certain energies created from that 'bonding' or 'clubs' of similar energy levels making up certain atomic structures, then go above it its atoms then materials becomes apparent. Withouth any vibrations there would be nothing at all, a void of nothniness. hell even inanimated solids would not even exist...
E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g stemmed from a form of energy activity or in another...

with this 'idea' in view it might help to understand the significance of 'existence' and 'life' is again a higher form of existence...
dont get me wrong im not talking about existialism just referring straight to that 'string theory' as you remarked about (and no I havent read the book but its on my 'must-read-soon' list now thanks to you lol...
heck about that higher form of life, thinking, you should consider reading "Gardens of eden" by the late Carl Sagan, wonderful book. he was a good thinker and gifted with the passion about life in the universe, and intelligence, actually it was a treatise on the evolution of intelligence. Bit old, (1970s) but good reading.

To me, if everything stopped vibrating, everything would melt to nothiness, including the vastness of the universe would cease to exist , the universe to me, is held together but suspended vibration over great distance....ruling over another, negotiating neighbouring matters (plenets, suns) to reach what kinds of 'planets' 'this will be'...in other words so many variations, and jsut once in a while a planet will have the right combination for the 'higher forms of patterned existence giving rise to propensity to life' and giving over time, the 'evolution' occurs...
sorry im babbling like a nutter now but yeah vibration in atoms makes total sense!!, if it doesnt there is not 'canned heat' to make existence of 'what is there' there...

its definitely a mystery, what IS that energy...
and, in addition, if scientists are playing around with dark matters, or anti matters, i think they shouldnt fuck with those things, we've alreadty split atoms seen the deadly power...now going deeper to matter for fuck's sake we might kill our solar system...its not funny...admitting this is far fetched to thnk but meddling with 'existence' i think, its downright dangerous...no questions about it.
oh i better shut up now... but all in all atoms Have to vibrate if it doesnt there is nothing, nothing in nothing of everything is nothing too hard to fathom.

Hey, I like to pour a glass of scotch and do some deep thunkin' too. :D

I think it's way over his head now, as are most concepts that involve logic and critical thinking...

"Energy, light, vibrations: you are there." Wow, amazing. I'm going to use this as a title for a short story. Do you mind?

Nope. In the eternal pool of ideas, which one can I take claim to??? :lol:

Back