"We are just a bunch of atoms"

You and me both, Dixie! I didn't have scientists for parents, but spending a lot of time in the hospital as a child, birthed in me a keen since of things scientific. I also spent several years in a botany lab doing research for science fair projects on plant genetics from the time I was about 11 though onto graduation from HS. So, yeah, I was a bit of a science/medical geek, and, I still am!

Now, ask me if I'm ashamed of it! :wave:

My dad is a retired cardiologist and my mother is a former nurse. So I'm naturally biased toward medical and sciencftic things. On the other hand, I also come form a long long of Southern Baptist ministers and preacher. My great-great grandfather Smith, great Grandfather smith and grandaddy Smith all were minisiters.

My dad is a retired cardiologist and my mother is a former nurse. So I'm naturally biased toward medical and sciencftic things. On the other hand, I also come form a long long of Southern Baptist ministers and preacher. My great-great grandfather Smith, great Grandfather smith and grandaddy Smith all were minisiters.

I Hear you, DS. I'm someone who incorporates both into my thinking. My religious upbringing was also Baptist.

What a great way to introduce critical thinking skills in your students!

And, yep, we are all a bunch of atoms.

What a great way to introduce critical thinking skills in your students!

And, yep, we are all a bunch of atoms.

I never knew that atoms are inside of us because I thought cells is what make us human as a whole. I did not realize it is more than cells or matters. So that is the most interesting subject I have ever encounter.

Shel, keep telling your kids what you know about atoms. I don't think I did not learn anything about atoms in class like elementary school or high school. :hmm:

I never knew that atoms are inside of us because I thought cells is what make us human as a whole. I did not realize it is more than cells or matters. So that is the most interesting subject I have ever encounter.

Shel, keep telling your kids what you know about atoms. I don't think I did not learn anything about atoms in class like elementary school or high school. :hmm:

It's complicated, Bebonang! I was taught about them, but, it went over my head! :lol:

A long time ago i used to have an odd friend who was always walking around drunk and saying, life is carbon, life is carbon. what a kook. Cancer took him a few years ago.

So, was he right? Or was he just drunk?

Well just for the record: Carbon forms the backbone of biology for the vast majority of life on Earth. Go figure.

It's complicated, Bebonang! I was taught about them, but, it went over my head! :lol:

So that is exactly what happened when I could not understand what the hearing teacher and other hearing students were talking about as I had no idea what they were talking about when I could not lipread them accurately. No ASL interpreters. I just tried to read book, but failed to understand the logic of it. :(

So that is exactly what happened when I could not understand what the hearing teacher and other hearing students were talking about as I had no idea what they were talking about when I could not lipread them accurately. No ASL interpreters. I just tried to read books, but failed to understand the logic of it. :(

I never got to take chemistry. I was put in physical science instead. Mainstream, yay! :hmm:

So that is exactly what happened when I could not understand what the hearing teacher and other hearing students were talking about as I had no idea what they were talking about when I could not lipread them accurately. No ASL interpreters. I just tried to read book, but failed to understand the logic of it. :(

That's sad.

As for me, I just didn't understand. I never could grasp chemistry.

I never got to take chemistry. I was put in physical science instead. Mainstream, yay! :hmm:

That was true for me as well! I took something else. I can't recall, but, it wasn't chemistry. Like you said, the mainstream was not all it was cracked up to be. But, special ed wasn't, either.

It is atoms that make up the cells.

Those occupational backgrounds aren't mutually exclusive. :) I know people who are preachers and medical doctors, engineers, science professors, computer programmers, and other professionals in various fields of the "hard" sciences.

What's even crazier is that all atoms are vibrating as well. That means that everything vibrates and has a certain rhythm and frequency, including our own bodies.

Look up string theory and "Theory of Everything" and prepare to have your mind blown (or blow a fuse trying to understand it, like me! :))

What's even crazier is that all atoms are vibrating as well. That means that everything vibrates and has a certain rhythm and frequency, including our own bodies.

Look up string theory and "Theory of Everything" and prepare to have your mind blown (or blow a fuse trying to understand it, like me! :))

not crazy at all, it makes total sense, if there no vibrations then there is no 'energy activity' which is exactly matters are made of, the solidification of certain energies created from that 'bonding' or 'clubs' of similar energy levels making up certain atomic structures, then go above it its atoms then materials becomes apparent. Withouth any vibrations there would be nothing at all, a void of nothniness. hell even inanimated solids would not even exist...
E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g stemmed from a form of energy activity or in another...

with this 'idea' in view it might help to understand the significance of 'existence' and 'life' is again a higher form of existence...
dont get me wrong im not talking about existialism just referring straight to that 'string theory' as you remarked about (and no I havent read the book but its on my 'must-read-soon' list now thanks to you lol...
heck about that higher form of life, thinking, you should consider reading "Gardens of eden" by the late Carl Sagan, wonderful book. he was a good thinker and gifted with the passion about life in the universe, and intelligence, actually it was a treatise on the evolution of intelligence. Bit old, (1970s) but good reading.

To me, if everything stopped vibrating, everything would melt to nothiness, including the vastness of the universe would cease to exist , the universe to me, is held together but suspended vibration over great distance....ruling over another, negotiating neighbouring matters (plenets, suns) to reach what kinds of 'planets' 'this will be'...in other words so many variations, and jsut once in a while a planet will have the right combination for the 'higher forms of patterned existence giving rise to propensity to life' and giving over time, the 'evolution' occurs...
sorry im babbling like a nutter now but yeah vibration in atoms makes total sense!!, if it doesnt there is not 'canned heat' to make existence of 'what is there' there...

its definitely a mystery, what IS that energy...
and, in addition, if scientists are playing around with dark matters, or anti matters, i think they shouldnt fuck with those things, we've alreadty split atoms seen the deadly power...now going deeper to matter for fuck's sake we might kill our solar system...its not funny...admitting this is far fetched to thnk but meddling with 'existence' i think, its downright dangerous...no questions about it.
oh i better shut up now... but all in all atoms Have to vibrate if it doesnt there is nothing, nothing in nothing of everything is nothing too hard to fathom.

Back