Watch for Hurrricane Sandy on East Coast

Why down there? Whats wrong with upstate NY? I rather deal with blizzard than too much rain.

I've been comparing the pros & cons of what we're getting (the rain & wind) and the blizzard. I think both are equally bad this time of year. The blizzard is heavy wet snow so the trees would still be in danger of falling. Then the snow would probably melt quickly and cause flooding, etc.

Be ready to evacuate after the storm has passed and the roads are cleared:

More than a Dozen Nuclear Plants Near Hurricane Sandy’s Path Brace for Impact - Washington's Blog

I hope we don't get Fuku'ed like Japan did. A LOT of these plants do NOT have diesel generators to keep these power plants cool. The minute the power plants lose power for the water cooling pumps and/or the generators get drowned, then the plants can blow within days, if not hours. I'm concerned, as I have family out there (one inside Manhattan area, one on Shelter Island Heights, outside NYC and DC).

I assume those who are not responding have already lost power. May fate be on their side...
I have a family member who is an engineer working at the Millstone plant in Connecticut. He's probably there now.

poor doggies. some of them had a hard time doing their business outside in the hurricane and some dogs refuse to do it and stay inside the house. poor doggies.

I've been comparing the pros & cons of what we're getting (the rain & wind) and the blizzard. I think both are equally bad this time of year. The blizzard is heavy wet snow so the trees would still be in danger of falling. Then the snow would probably melt quickly and cause flooding, etc.

Yup, Alabama had blizzard at twice - 1899 and 1993.

A few minutes ago I was on Skype with my brother in CT. Then we were disconnected, so I called him on cell phone. He told me that the power went out in his apartment building. We chatted for a minute, and he told me that some people were outside with flashlights. Then, someone was knocking on his door. I heard an excited woman with an accent saying something to him. He said to me, "I gotta go" and hung up. Now I'm wondering what happened. I hope he calls back soon.

It is windy right now...constant wind..around 30 mph. I love it! Im not concern about the floodin, Im just concern about the constant wind.. dont want power outage, here. :lol: Last big storm,derecho, didnt have power for a week. I can hear the wind only when my tv's mute. :D Im listenin to the wind,right now. Im just goin to sit around and wait for the storm go away.

Thanks! I've got family outside of Columbus as well!

Here in Kentucky, We are getting slammed with strong winds. We are under High Wind Advisory along with some rain. It's chilly here too as well. In Eastern KY (where parts of Appalachian Mountain is) already have snow there. Stay safe, everyone!

You're right on that part. It is bad, not just at this time of the year. It is bad at any time bcause it also depends on the location; For example if it occurs in KY, WV or places in the middle -- Snow and Rain collides creates sleets, and if it freezes up, it turns into an ice storm. When it's hot and cold, Tornadoes forms. Trees falling, Live wires flying around and many dangers can happen.

Checking in. So far, so good. But we still have the wind, and some light rain, so I won't say we're in the clear yet.

How is everyone doing today? No power at home and there were a few people killed by falling trees in my area. Supposed to get the rain part and more wind today.

Stay safe everyone!

Is everyone OK this morning?

We did not lose our power at my condo and Plum Island did not lose any homes this time. The storm as not a bad as I thought it would be. The public schools are open today so I guess my city is up and running again. How about you are you OK?? Did you ever hear back from your brother??

same here. the only thing is they canceled schools in this area last night. Looking out the windows this morning I am thinking- what the
H$ll did they do that for. Kids have gone to school in worse weather then this. :roll:

We did not lose our power at my condo and Plum Island did not lose any homes this time. The storm as not a bad as I thought it would be. The public schools are open today so I guess my city is up and running again. How about you are you OK?? Did you ever hear back from your brother??
Finally got a short text from him. He's at work now. No power at home, and no power at work. But he's OK. I want to get more details from him about what happened but I don't want to bother him at work. I'll try to get in touch with him tonight. He can charge his phone on the car.

Thank you for asking.

Back