Watch for Hurrricane Sandy on East Coast

Has anyone heard from Jiro or Alex? Do you know any other ADers in the storm's path?

I'm perfectly fine. I was in Rochester during Hurricane Sandy. It didn't even hit this area at all. But my family's fine too. no power outage, no flood, etc. just that there was a huge mess at surrounding towns and NYC. Fortunately, my brother listened to me and went to fill up his car before Sandy came.

I believe Alex lost power for a few days but he's fine.

Blizzard don't cause flooding, too much rain does. That's difference.

In blizzard, you go outside and dealing with it and you won't get wet that fast, on other hand you go outside dealing Niagara fall, you get wet in matter of seconds.

well - blizzard is no worse than flooding because you will have to deal with flash flood once snow melts. it's more... a "delayed" flooding.

Thats not my point, flash flood is technically limited and happens only after snow melt, the advantage is TIME, blizzard actually buys you time to prepare where Sandy you get flood right away no time to prepare and yes I am in Rochester and went though blizzard few times. I love it!

well - blizzard is no worse than flooding because you will have to deal with flash flood once snow melts. it's more... a "delayed" flooding.

Thats not my point, flash flood is technically limited and happens only after snow melt, the advantage is TIME, blizzard actually buys you time to prepare where Sandy you get flood right away no time to prepare and yes I am in Rochester and went though blizzard few times. I love it!

No time for prepare? People have plenty of time to evacuate before hurricane hits.

For me - no concern with flooding because our house is on hill and we are not have any risk for flooding that caused by weather, however tornadoes are common in our state with infrequent of major hurricanes that pour a lot of rain and wind.

I'm perfectly fine. I was in Rochester during Hurricane Sandy. It didn't even hit this area at all. But my family's fine too. no power outage, no flood, etc. just that there was a huge mess at surrounding towns and NYC. Fortunately, my brother listened to me and went to fill up his car before Sandy came.

I believe Alex lost power for a few days but he's fine.

Glad you are ok Jiro. I have family from Long Island that are on watch for looters. Their area got hit pretty bad.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-York-City-Shortage-Fuel-Power-178071831.html

Here in Rochester, flash flood after blizzard was rare. What they do is plow the snow and dump em in truck then they go over bridge dump there or dump at what we called detention (Looks like a man made ponds) which controls the flood after blizzard. Plus when it is snowing hard, you stay dry when staying outside, comparing to rain storm, your getting wet right away and it sucks when it is really cold.

Back in 1999 when we had unexpected nearly 4 foot of snow dumped overnight. There was not even flood afterwards. Not even one prepared for this. Whole road infrastructure was shut down due to the fact that road rats still sleeping and woke up, couldn't go to highway department to get the huge plows. I still remember clearly. And damages? Few fallen trees, nothing major. Comparing to Sandy, blizzard is nothing.

No time for prepare? People have plenty of time to evacuate before hurricane hits.

For me - no concern with flooding because our house is on hill and we are not have any risk for flooding that caused by weather, however tornadoes are common in our state with infrequent of major hurricanes that pour a lot of rain and wind.

Cant believe the devastation in NJ...one town is trapped...I told my husband that it was like New Orleans part 2..people being trapped with no electricity or supplies.

I wouldn't compare it with New Orleans because what happened in New Orleans was a colossal mess from local level to federal level including anarchy. that didn't happen in here.

But... in hurricane - you can get about 48 hours in advance to prepare for it. both blizzard and hurricane are equally devastating but I'd choose worst hurricane over worst blizzard.... at least help can come thru much faster in post-hurricane than in post-blizzard.

in worst blizzard - help cannot come thru faster because of snow & nice and you can't tell what's happening since everything is buried under snow

I think Alex got dedicated server or maybe more. Its never good idea to have only one server at one location.

Some major sites went down because data centers got flooded in NYC - Huffington Post, BuzzFeed, Gizmodo, Jezebel and Gawker.

Before storms we make sure our chain saws are ready; chains sharpened, extra chains, plenty of the right gas and oil mixes. We have a large saw, small saw, and pole saw. We also have manual saws and axes but prefer not to use them unless necessary. I have manual loppers of various sizes, and one on a pole.

now we Northerners learned a big lesson from this so I hope next year - we'll be more prepared and serious like Floridians and "you people" :lol:

what I will prepare for next year is having a bigger gas container and maybe a chainsaw. and tire plug kits too.

I took the doomsday prepper quiz and it said I would survive 4-8 months. My score is 55.

I need medical training above CPR and First Aid and a way to generate electricity.

I can grow a year round garden in my "bug out" location, which also has plenty of wildlife in a sparsely populated area in rugged terrain. You can grow veggies in a bay window. There is also a lake (renewable water source) with plenty of fish. I also know how to can veggies.

Its the medical emergency training, and the first aid kit (you need an RX for antibiotics) that I need to improve.

I may never need it, but it is good to know its there in case.

And no, the bug out vehicle is not EMP proof. Oh well ...

what you are not and will never be prepared for is the horde unless you have a couple of families coming to stay with you and be prepared to defend the property at all cost.

No one really expects the average family to be preppers who are ready for months of holocaust and siege. However, it's not unreasonable to expect people to heed the warnings of government agencies and weather reports to at least make basic preparations and follow evacuation notices. It seems that most people don't bother doing that.

Hurricanes give at least two days notice but usually three or four. From the looks of some of the pictures, some people didn't even bother to bring in their lawn furniture from outside. Since people were running out of gas, food, water, and diapers on day two of the storm, they apparently didn't even gas up or stock up enough to get themselves thru the first crucial 72 hours much less a week or two. The number of people who were caught by flooding didn't have to happen. They should have evacuated. Did the authorities use door-to-door evacuation notification? Were evacuation routes marked and monitored? Were tow trucks pre-positioned to move wrecks out of the way? Were there enough shelters, including ones with handicap facilities and pet-friendly areas?

One family that lost their children in the flooding did not evacuate when told to. Why? Because during a previous evacuation, their house had been looted. The mother said they would stay this time and fight off looters. Does that make sense? Endanger your children to the flood and armed looters just to save your possessions? Well, they lost that bet, sadly.

Of course, there will be casualties and hardship after a storm but with proper preparation by authorities and the public those can be greatly reduced. Somehow, it just doesn't seem to happen.

We should always be prepared to take care of ourselves for a minimum of three days. Don't wait for the government to tell you to keep on hand bottled water, non-perishable easy to prepare foods, products for personal hygiene, routine meds, clean up and first aid, cash (doesn't have to be a lot), and gas in the tank. Have at least two escape routes planned, keep your phones charged, and designate a meet-up place. Keep your important papers together in one easy-to-grab container. Get to know your neighbors and account for each other.

Never assume that the government will take care of everything. They cannot and will not.

It doesn't have to be hurricane prep but prep for ice storms, earthquakes, wildfire, riots, tornadoes, closing of roads and bridges, or other things that can happen.

Maybe not everyone can do these things but the more who do, the better. That leaves more resources available for those who truly need them.

These issues were very rare. I went though blizzard few times and yes tropical storm, and see tropical storm does more damage than blizzard. Last time we had blizzard and there was only 1 death, how many death down there in NYC? End of discuss.

But... in hurricane - you can get about 48 hours in advance to prepare for it. both blizzard and hurricane are equally devastating but I'd choose worst hurricane over worst blizzard.... at least help can come thru much faster in post-hurricane than in post-blizzard.

in worst blizzard - help cannot come thru faster because of snow & nice and you can't tell what's happening since everything is buried under snow

These issues were very rare. I went though blizzard few times and yes tropical storm, and see tropical storm does more damage than blizzard. Last time we had blizzard and there was only 1 death, how many death down there in NYC? End of discuss.

NYC had blizzards in past.

Well, blizzards don't cause a high tide surge and move houses by their foundations.
They just knock down trees and time to time collapse older buildings.

I survived a cat 5 hurricane - Andrew - when it blazed across Miami years past. I am super scared and highly respectful of such destructive storms. What I witnessed in its aftermath can not be expressed in words. Every time a tropical storm forms in the Atlantic, I get a chill up my spine. One has to live through one to understand what I mean; I hope that none of you ever go through one, ever!

Back